Issa Rae’s Emmy Winning Series: Insecure Official Thread

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
So per the comments in this thread, I've begun the show. The comments below are based on watching the first episode.

Early on, I can sense that I will grow to dislike Issa, or at the very least, the way she goes about things. Apologies if this has already been stated, but it seems early on that what they're going for with Issa is to present her as a likable yet flawed individual that means well and is overall a good person, but is prone to rash/emotional decisions that aren't particularly beneficial and she's kind of at a point where she's stuck in life. I.E., a very relatable individual as we've all been there.

If the first episode is any indication, she'll end up a selfish coward of a woman who -- affable 'facade' notwithstanding -- likely could have avoided her most damning decisions (and the subsequent fallout) if she just had it in her to shyt or get off the pot.

Molly would probably be smooth sailing in life if she had regular dikk to sit on, looking forward to seeing this show explore Molly more, as her character shouldn't be having these problems.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Issa is playing herself by attempting a hoe phase. Plus right as Lawrence dumb ass is catching feelings for her again she does this which will fukk his perception of her lol.

Idk how people get caught up like this but it's entertaining.
I just seen that same shyt play out a few weeks ago with a friend of mine. Shorty lives in a small town where everybody is in each other's business. Her husband moved out as part of a temporary separation. She immediately goes out with her best friend and hit the clubs. Meet some dudes and about to go to the strip club. I had to tell her to take her ass home because the second the husband hears about it he's definitely out. Fast forward a week and her and the husband have an argument. She has a dude over to the house and has him put on a pair of the husband's shorts and nothing else and takes a picture and sends it to the husband. Got divorce papers the next week.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I'd say Issa is the most relatable character on the show for a lot of people, given her insecurity in her own relationship and job :yeshrug:. I'm really more interested in Molly's storyline though - love seeing her navigate that corporate environment both seasons. In fact that's probably my favorite part about the show - Molly, Lawrence, and Issa's professional struggles and successes.

As far as likability though, Amanda Diva's character is the worst. She getting ready for a downfall though, with her "i'm perfect and my life is perfect" bullshyt ways. Didn't care for Lawrence's friend much either bc he used to highkey shyt on him when he was down, but he is coming around.
I can't speak on how many relate to her I'm just saying that she's wack as a character so far. Shes not an attractive chic on the show the way that she's written and that's just odd to me seeing as how it's her shyt. The male co-star would be better off keeping it pushing.

In fact, all of the female characters on the show are wack except for the side chic. Issa and her best friend are written to be very damaged women who men should probably stay clear of. It's just odd.

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Yup, you did. Tiffany's dude been looking feminine since we met him. But you know how testy people are. To state the obvious would be the equivalent of having an ignorant, view of what a man is and upholding toxic masculinity or whatever the cliche phrase that tumblr kids are saying these days.

Sis, let's call a thing a thing. We know what it is but we could be wrong. But I knew they were fronting. No couple is that perfect

Make no mistake about it, that high yella nikka is mos def down with the fruit booty society :wrist: