Is this true that the Buddha was black?

Poppa_Dock

:gladlebron:
Daps
Reppin
Banana Town
Yama+Right+Side+Black+and+White.jpg

Yeah, because cornrows are indicative of an Indian man or Aryan Persian :dead: And when the f*ck was Buddhism primarily associated with India? You meant probably meant Hinduism, but of course, I expect nothing less from someone of your ilk :heh:

im imagine you looking at that picture and going ":ohhh: look they are like iverson's braids" :russ:

Hip-Hop-Bulls

All Star
Daps
What African spiritual teachers held that title?

what I'm saying is that a person does not need to be called 'buddha' in order to be a buddha. As I said in a previous post, buddha simply means to be enlightened. There were many people before and after Gautama who are 'buddha'. Just like Jesus Christ. Christ meaning the anointed one or savior. The buddha and the christ are one the same. A person who realizes he/she is their own savior has been awakened.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yes, in my research I have also discovered that Confucius, William Wallace, and Eight Deer Ocelot Claw were black.

Well frankly Vic I don't think lambasting someone who has clearly done a lot of research on the matter, without having done your own is fair or responsible.

Sometimes you have to swallow your pride?

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
what I'm saying is that a person does not need to be called 'buddha' in order to be a buddha. As I said in a previous post, buddha simply means to be enlightened. There were many people before and after Gautama who are 'buddha'. Just like Jesus Christ. Christ meaning the anointed one or savior. The buddha and the christ are one the same. A person who realizes he/she is their own savior has been awakened.

I understand that but you, blackking, and others are in here insinuating that the philosophies that ultimately define Buddhism originated in Africa, which is completely baseless. When you are pressed to prove your assertions, you can't cite any facts or anything of substance to back them up. Now you're over here bringing up Jesus :laff:

Buddhism is Indian in origin and the Buddha was an Indian. Africa doesn't factor into the equation at all, if there were African spiritual teachers thousands of years ago, hey, that's great, but that doesn't have anything to do with India or Buddhism....the fact that you can't even name one of significance speaks volumes.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
My bad, if we talking about Gautama as the original Buddha, then yes, I always thought it originated in Sri Lanka with Theravada Buddhism :yeshrug: Gautama wasn't even the first Buddha.

Theravada Buddhism isn't the origin of Buddhism. It is however one of the oldest branches of Buddhism, which was it's scripture was written centuries after Gautama's death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hip-Hop-Bulls

All Star
Daps
I understand that but you, blackking, and others are in here insinuating that the philosophies that ultimately define Buddhism originated in Africa, which is completely baseless. When you are pressed to prove your assertions, you can't cite any facts or anything of substance to back them up. Now you're over here bringing up Jesus :laff:

Buddhism is Indian in origin and the Buddha was an Indian. Africa doesn't factor into the equation at all, if there were African spiritual teachers thousands of years ago, hey, that's great, but that doesn't have anything to do with India or Buddhism....the fact that you can't even name one of significance speaks volumes.

Never said buddhism started but thanks for putting words in my mouth. next everything from religion to people has it's origins in what is called Africa. AGAIN buddhism is about enlightenment so this 'myth' that it originated in India around 500bc and that gautama was it's founder is FALSE. Buddhism the 'religion' has connections with Jainism and hinduism, and before them the religions they practiced before leaving Africa.

So did it begin in India with guatama, 'officially' yeah. I suppose that the design of the washington monument originated in the states too since thats where it is...

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Can anybody name some of these black buddahs that preceded guatama? Where did they teach, what schools of thought did they found, where are their disciples?

I don't know the names, I'm just lookin' at the statues with the cornrow and sh*t. I think even if the original Buddha had "I am a black azz nikka" written on his forehead, you would try to twist to mean it symbolizes his mind is the abyss of the soul or some sh*t like that

Theravada Buddhism isn't the origin of Buddhism. It is however one of the oldest branches of Buddhism, which was it's scripture was written centuries after Gautama's death.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ that's an opinion, not a fact, depending on who you talk to and ask, much like Gautama is traditionally represented as the main/real/original Buddha, which is a complete farce. And yes, Gautama was not black.

buddha is a title...
:salute:

I think somewhere down the line, we slightly lost track of what we are looking at. OP wants to know if the original Buddha was black. The earliest Buddhas all have cornrows. It is known that Jesus did visit India, and Jesus was a Nazarene, and Nazarenes were known for locks of hair (:ohhh: where the original Hebrews black? but that's another topic too) I could go on, but you nikkas are illiterate, you can't read between the lines :whistle:

Anyway, everything aside, we can all speculate, but how can you f*ckin' deny/explain the cornrows? :comeon: You can attack my speculation, but it's a f*ckin' statue with dreads. Dude could be faded up with Buddha written on the side of his head, and y'all would still deny he was black :snoop:

Torrez

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No the Buddha was not black he was East Indian, and those statues are not depicting cornrows. Ancient Indian Buddha statues and Chinese and other asian statues were done in Ancient Greek style, the Brahmans were Ancient Greeks originally thus the style of the statues.

:snoop:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
blackzeus said:
It is known that Jesus did visit India

:beli:

51-xgy9awal-_ss500_.jpg

Bart D. Ehrman on pg. 280 said:
One of the most widely disseminated modern forgeries is called The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ. From this account we learn that Jesus went to India during his formative teen years, the “lost years” before his public ministry, and there learned the secrets of the East. The book made a big splash when it appeared in English in 1926; but as it turns out, it had already been exposed as a fraud more than thirty years earlier. The reading public, it is safe to say, has a short attention span.

The book was first published in France in 1894 as La vie inconnue de Jésus Christ, by a Russian war correspondent named Nicolas Notovitch. Almost immediately it was widely disseminated and translated. In one year it appeared in eight editions in French, with translations into German, Spanish, and Italian. One edition was published in the United Kingdom, and three separate editions in the United States. The book consisted of 244 paragraphs arranged in fourteen chapters. Notovitch starts the book by explaining how he “discovered” it. In 1887, he was allegedly traveling in India and Kashmir, where he heard from lamas of Tibet stories about a prophet named Issa, the Arabic form (roughly) of the name Jesus. His further travels took him to the district of Ladak, on the border between India and Tibet, to the famous Tibetan Buddhist monastery of Hemis. While there he heard additional stories and was told that written records of the life of Issa still survived.

The-More-You-Know.gif

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
No the Buddha was not black he was East Indian, and those statues are not depicting cornrows. Ancient Indian Buddha statues and Chinese and other asian statues were done in Ancient Greek style, the Brahmans were Ancient Greeks originally thus the style of the statues.

:snoop:
There was an exchange of styles in ancient cultures from Greece to East Asia... both of which are influenced by earlier civilizations. You can guess what civilizations influenced them.... but more importantly you should really pay attention and look at art from ancient greek style or other styles... they clearly show white looking people with Caucasian looking features when it's appropriate. Many times art was all that certain groups had to express themselves as most people couldn't read the ancient forms of writing. There were pics and statues about everything from gods, to sex, to different leaders... Why can't we look at them and give them some type of credit-- that they were aware of the features and shades of different groups. Every religious and political book from ancient times describes the peoples features and hair for a reason. People needed to be descriptive when we didn't have books in mass production or google image search.

Obviously if a culture or historical figure was asian he was depicted as such. Obviously is a culture, religious figure, or military leader was Caucasian he was depicted as such. It's common sense. Common sense can answer most of the questions we debate about.

There was a great effort to portray the buddah, we are speaking of,( in multiple regions in multiple time periods) as someone who we would consider of African decent. He was from India- and his location of birth isn't the biggest clue to what he looked like.

Regardless, the Buddah wasn't a title he or those around him made up... they are speaking of FUll enlightenment.. something that a few people did before him... We are on here arguing about 'traditional' oral accounts of how a philosophy started.... when we already know for a fact that enlightenment and meditation existed hundreds of years before this dude.