Is the PG position really worth a max contract?

BreezyH

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
:salute:i've said this for years - also, there's only a handful of players who deserve max money anyway. lebron and joe johnson should not be in the same bracket

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They were close as hell as is. The Joe Johnson injury and that BS Amare suspension cost em. They were at the very least equal favorites in both of those series. It ain't like they were real far away either year from making the finals. And I hate the Suns from that era.

nikka get hurt. Lakers won titles with Bynum as a shell and Wade was looking like Fred Sanford at times last year. If Bron or Kobe had gone 6-18 in a pivotal, close game 5 loss at the crib minus their best teammate nobody would be talking about that teammate. They weren't built to win titles.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Depends...if you have a Lebron, then no because you only need an average point guard. Most of the time he's running the point. But the Clippers depend heavily on Chris Paul, same with the Thunder and Westbrook, as we saw in the playoffs last year. And Rondo was the most important player during the Celtics run. These type point guards deserve the max.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
They were close as hell as is. The Joe Johnson injury and that BS Amare suspension cost em. They were at the very least equal favorites in both of those series. It ain't like they were real far away either year from making the finals. And I hate the Suns from that era.
Don't you love how the "soft" label is so casually thrown around, when really it comes down to 1 or 2 plays in a game going the other way.

Case in point: Dirk

:win:

dunkman6

All Star
Daps
:stopitslime:ROSE'S EFFICIENCY WOULDNT DROP
IF HE WASNT THE ONLY nikka ON THE TEAM THAT COULD CREATE HIS OWN
OR IF HE WAS SURROUNDED BY TONS OF 40% 3PSHOOTERS
BRON HAS ALL OF THAT.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE THUNDER?
WHAT HAPPEN TO THE 2ND BEST WING IN THE NBA'S EFFICIENCY ONCE HE LOST WESTBROOK?
nikka HAD REGGIE JACKSON & DERRICK FISHER...
I MEAN THATS ALL YOU REALLY NEED AT PG RIGHT?
nikka SHOT 42% IN THE GRIZZ SERIES, & 36% IN THE SEASON OPENER...
WESTBROOK COMES 2ND GAME OF THE SEASON & KD SHOOTS 53% THAT GAME.

THUNDER AINT GOING NO WHERE WITHOUT MAX PLAYER WESTBROOK.
BRON AINT WINNING shyt WITHOUT 2-3 HOF'S
KOBE AINT WON shyt WITHOUT A TOP 5 BIG

BEST PLAYER DERRICK ROSE HAS EVER PLAYED WITH IS fukkING LUOL DENG...
AN INCONSISTENT MID RANGE SPOT UP SHOOTER.

WHEN PGS HAD THE TEAMS THEY WON OR CAME CLOSE.
GLOVE WASNT BEATING JORDAN
KIDD WASNT BEATING SHAQ/DUNCAN WITH INFERIOR TEAMS.

:devil:
:evil:
You sound butthurt cause the Bulls haven't done shyt to surround Derrick Rose with talent. :russ:

And I guess Pippen and Rodman aren't HOF's...:mjpls:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Yeah man, top 10-15 players all-time (Duncan, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, KG, Wade, Dirk) are just walking around, waiting to be signed to max contracts :heh:

Daps
And while he's not making max Ty Lawson is around $13 million a year, which is insane imo, dude doesn't have the impact on the game to deserve that. You can make the case that Steph Curry is the best PG in the league right now, and he's got a 4 year $44 million contract, which is great value for a player putting up 23/9 but as good as he is I still wouldn't want to max him out when the time comes because of those creaky ankles.
Right, so it isn't his impact or his ability on why he doesn't deserve a max contract but his 'creaky ankles'? I fail to see why this example has any relevance to your argument. How's that any different to a player in any other position with the exact same susceptibility to injuring their ankles?
All of these great guards and the best PG to win a title in the last 10 years was Tony Parker, and when he did it he wasn't a max player, which allowed the Spurs to spend money on more important positions
And D-Will, Westbrook, Rose, Paul and Wall wouldn't win a title in place of Parker with the same mentoring and system-play in 06-07 with an adjustable max contract to match $65m or within their limit?

San Antonio Spurs Total: $65,327,646

Tim Duncan .................. $17,429,672
Tony Parker ................. $9,450,000 = DWill/Westbrook/Rose/Paul/Wall - $15m
Manu Ginobili ............... $8,254,375
Brent Barry ................. $5,117,880
Bruce Bowen ................. $3,750,000
Robert Horry ................ $3,315,000
Melvin Ely .................. $3,303,813
Francisco Elson ............. $3,000,000
Michael Finley .............. $2,889,000
Fabricio Oberto ............. $2,500,000
Jackie Butler ............... $2,200,000
Matt Bonner ................. $2,000,000
Jacque Vaughn ............... $1,071,225 [minimum, counts $744,551]
Beno Udrih .................. $967,920
James White ................. $405,435

With Ely's $3.3m contract (6 games and 3.2 points) and Elson's $3m contract (70 games and 5 points) being replaceable both financially and production-wise, with bare-minimum market players and the soft cap allowing the Spurs to go over with the re-signing of their own FAs - taking on a max PG contract would have been affordable.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE A DOPE TEAM TO WIN A TITLE.
HOW MANY CHIPS DID BRON HAVE BEFORE FORMING A SUPER TEAM?
YOU CAN REPLACE HIM WITH A PRIME ROSE/WESTBROOK/PAUL
AND THEY STILL WIN TITLES.

OUTSIDE OF JORDAN/HAKEEM/SHAQ/DUNCAN & DIRK THAT ONE YEAR
THOSE 3 PGS COULD SWAP WITH ANY OF THE OTHER FINALS MVPS OF THE LAST 20 CHAMPS
AND WIN TITLES.
If Rose was on Miami they don't even make it to the finals much less win it all. Are you forgetting how poorly Rose played in the 2011 playoffs? The Pacers and Hawks weren't even great teams and he struggled to shoot above 40%...

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I don't think @Malta is necessarily saying that players like CP3 or Rose or Kyrie or Wall are BAD players to have, just that they may not be worth the same cap hit individually that players like Duncan/Dirk/KG/AI/TMac/Kobe/Wade/Bron/Shaq/Jordan would be.

And it's a very fair point. The game does have very talented PGs, but if you had only one "slot" to give a player a Max, lets say $20mil annually for this argument, you'd almost assuredly go the route of the big man or elite wing player over the elite PG.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
:stopitslime:ROSE'S EFFICIENCY WOULDNT DROP
IF HE WASNT THE ONLY nikka ON THE TEAM THAT COULD CREATE HIS OWN
OR IF HE WAS SURROUNDED BY TONS OF 40% 3PSHOOTERS
BRON HAS ALL OF THAT.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE THUNDER?
WHAT HAPPEN TO THE 2ND BEST WING IN THE NBA'S EFFICIENCY ONCE HE LOST WESTBROOK?
nikka HAD REGGIE JACKSON & DERRICK FISHER...
I MEAN THATS ALL YOU REALLY NEED AT PG RIGHT?
nikka SHOT 42% IN THE GRIZZ SERIES, & 36% IN THE SEASON OPENER...
WESTBROOK COMES 2ND GAME OF THE SEASON & KD SHOOTS 53% THAT GAME.

THUNDER AINT GOING NO WHERE WITHOUT MAX PLAYER WESTBROOK.
BRON AINT WINNING shyt WITHOUT 2-3 HOF'S
KOBE AINT WON shyt WITHOUT A TOP 5 BIG

BEST PLAYER DERRICK ROSE HAS EVER PLAYED WITH IS fukkING LUOL DENG...
AN INCONSISTENT MID RANGE SPOT UP SHOOTER.

WHEN PGS HAD THE TEAMS THEY WON OR CAME CLOSE.
GLOVE WASNT BEATING JORDAN
KIDD WASNT BEATING SHAQ/DUNCAN WITH INFERIOR TEAMS.

The Heat with Rose in place of LeBron isn't winning a thing, they lose their best defender & rebounder in the playoffs for someone that does everything at a lower level than Bron. That's a max contract replacing another max contract so you can't just fill the hole at SF they'd be even more undersized and worse on the boards than they are now.

KD averaged 31/9/6/1/1 and shot 45% during the playoffs without Russ, that's not really a big drop in efficiency :ld: What do you think Westbrook numbers would look like without KD there, considering he shoots 42% in the playoffs with KD there to take pressure off him. How much of a dropoff would the Thunder have if they went with Eric Bledsoe at the point? Probably not as big of a dropoff as if they swapped KD for Deng, right?

If I'm a GM I'm not handing out max contracts to "come close", and it's not like PGs have always had crappy teams, it's that their impact generally isn't the same. We've got how many years of NBA history showing that building around a PG that isn't 6'9" isn't really a safe bet compared to transcendent players at other positions.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
:what: at some of those names.
I wouldn't throw 20mil at AI, but I was just including him for argument's sake.

Probably a mistake since we're lowkey shytting on PGs in this thread :heh:

But TMac was an elite wing player, and a top 5 player in the world year to year at one point in his career. Not the Knicks TMac, but if you were a GM, you wouldn't give prime Orlando TMac a max over most elite PGs? :usure:

Even if I'm not listing HoFers, the argument could be made that it makes more basketball sense to throw Max deals at players like Love/Drummond/Davis/Cousins/Aldridge over guys like Lillard/Curry/Rose/CP3/Deron. Not saying it's always the case, but the argument is there. And history tends to back it up :manny: