Is the PG position really worth a max contract?

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
PGs aint never been important to winning a title and never will be.

It's always Dominant Big > Dominant Wing > Great Bench > Dominant PG imo

Only exceptions were Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson.......but Magic was also 6'9 which caused mismatch problems all over the court

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, I remember you brought this up months ago and I agreed then and i agree now. There is not a point guard in this league that deserves a max contract, especially with the new rules that cater to them.

Point guards are about to become the new running back.

No homer, but the only one I think has a chance to be worth it is Wall because he falls in line with one of those "freak" guards but he even he not there right now.

:ohhh: :ehh:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I have prime Kobe or current lebron who can handle the playmaking duties... Why do I need a great PG? I can win with rio chalmers or fisher :yeshrug:

Same thing with he bulls In the 90's.

This is the key. Guys like Kobe and Lebron and Pippen and young Mike are basically point guards they just weren't technically playing the position. A 6'6-6'9 guy that can score 25-30 while performing PG duties and guarding multiple positions is gonna be far more valuable than a 6'0 guy that can give you the playmaking but is limited on the other fronts due to their size. If you look at the greatest PGs of all time it's the bigger, more versatile guys like Big O and Magic and Clyde Frazier and more recently cats like GP and Kidd that really stand out. Even Rose and Westrbrook are 6'3ish.

PGs aint never been important to winning a title and never will be.

It's always Dominant Big > Dominant Wing > Great Bench > Dominant PG imo

Only exceptions were Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson.......but Magic was also 6'9 which caused mismatch problems all over the court

:whoa: I wouldn't go that far. SGs and SFs weren't always handling the ball like that. There was a time when you needed that PG to handle the rock and get the offense going. Magic really fukked the game up for smaller PGs (and big men). He inspired bigger cats to say "Hey I can handle the rock". You no longer had to have that 6'0 ball handler because you got 6'7 nikkas doing the same shyt and more.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
I was thinking the same shyt. I don't think building your team around your PG is the right move to make. The most depth is at the PG position and every team feels like they need a real good one to compete.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Hell of an interesting question. Another question I have to ask along with that is what point guards have played with elite talent around them. Nash's Suns I think would've won a title if they didn't catch all those horrible breaks. Kidd's best teams involved Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin as the next best two players. Chris Paul's Hornets were always thin and we've all knocked Blake for being one-dimensional. So I wonder if having a great team makes your team average enough that you can't fall in to securing that second elite talent to fall in line with those point guards. I don't think having a great PG will ever outweigh having a dominant big but I think the PG position can elevate talent around them but only to a degree. So with that said I don't think I would make a PG my prime acquisition but if I have another great player I'd absolutely pay the max for a great PG.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hell of an interesting question. Another question I have to ask along with that is what point guards have played with elite talent around them. Nash's Suns I think would've won a title if they didn't catch all those horrible breaks. Kidd's best teams involved Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin as the next best two players. Chris Paul's Hornets were always thin and we've all knocked Blake for being one-dimensional. So I wonder if having a great team makes your team average enough that you can't fall in to securing that second elite talent to fall in line with those point guards. I don't think having a great PG will ever outweigh having a dominant big but I think the PG position can elevate talent around them but only to a degree. So with that said I don't think I would make a PG my prime acquisition but if I have another great player I'd absolutely pay the max for a great PG.

The help issue is a valid point. However it is easier to build around a more versatile guy.

Nash's Suns were too soft to win a title. People need to stop copping pleas for them.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
FINALS MVPS IN THE LAST 20 YEARS:
3 DIFFERENT SGS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT CENTERS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PFS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PGS HAVE WON IT
AND ONE SF HAS WON IT

I FEEL ITS SILLY TO SINGLE OUT THE PG POSITION.
ITS NOT THE POSITIONS,
ITS THE SPECIAL PLAYERS WHO HAVE DOMINATED THE SPORT OVER THAT SPAN.

BEFORE DUNCAN, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME A PF WON FINALS MVP?
ATLEAST 20 YEARS...
3 DIFFERENT PGS WON THEM OVER THAT SPAN.
HOW LONG WILL IT BE BEFORE A CENTER WINS ONE AGAIN?

DONT shyt ON AN ENTIRE POSITION
BECAUSE A SPECIAL PLAYER COMES ALONG & DOMINATES.
STARS HAVE TO ALIGN BECAUSE A LOT OF DOPE PGS DIDNT HAVE THE ROSTERS.
:devil:
:evil:

Why are you basing it on finals MVP?

You're saying 2 different PGs have won it, but those are the only PGs that have where as the other positions have multi-time winners.

PG is being singled out because the impact they have on the game just isn't the same as the other positions, and that begs the question on whether or not they deserve max. There are so many of them in the league now, and a good amount of guys posting numbers that 10 years ago would have been :mindblown: status.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I'd have to agree.

With the exception of Westbrook and Curry. Curry, although he's a small player, has SG skills. His footwork, handles, shooting, ability to hoist from anywhere, ability to create offense, and PnR skills are the total package. The durability concerns are there, but I don't think there's any question of whether he's a max TALENT. Westbrook also has a lot of SG skills, in that he's not just going to bring the ball up court and run the offense. He has ridiculous slashing ability, and he's really perfected his mid-range pull-up jumper since the lockout.

Curry and Westbrook can both be your number 1 option. You can reliably give them the ball in crunchtime and tell them to get you buckets. They can command double-teams on the offensive end, dish out 10+ dimes, but also score 30+ points in their sleep. They get to the line, the get to the hoop, and they both can shoot. And they're both incredibly young and yet to reach their prime.

If I was a GM and was trying to build a championship team, I could give either of those guys $18mil+ annually and not lose sleep at night. Maybe a bit with Curry because of the ankle concerns, but it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

The rest of the PGs though :camby:

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
FINALS MVPS IN THE LAST 20 YEARS:
3 DIFFERENT SGS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT CENTERS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PFS HAVE WON IT
2 DIFFERENT PGS HAVE WON IT
AND ONE SF HAS WON IT

I FEEL ITS SILLY TO SINGLE OUT THE PG POSITION.
ITS NOT THE POSITIONS,
ITS THE SPECIAL PLAYERS WHO HAVE DOMINATED THE SPORT OVER THAT SPAN.

BEFORE DUNCAN, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME A PF WON FINALS MVP?
ATLEAST 20 YEARS...
3 DIFFERENT PGS WON THEM OVER THAT SPAN.
HOW LONG WILL IT BE BEFORE A CENTER WINS ONE AGAIN?

DONT shyt ON AN ENTIRE POSITION
BECAUSE A SPECIAL PLAYER COMES ALONG & DOMINATES.
STARS HAVE TO ALIGN BECAUSE A LOT OF DOPE PGS DIDNT HAVE THE ROSTERS.
:devil:
:evil:
Are you counting LeBron as a PF?

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
The help issue is a valid point. However it is easier to build around a more versatile guy.

Nash's Suns were too soft to win a title. People need to stop copping pleas for them.

They were close as hell as is. The Joe Johnson injury and that BS Amare suspension cost em. They were at the very least equal favorites in both of those series. It ain't like they were real far away either year from making the finals. And I hate the Suns from that era.