Is season 2 of the wire skippable?

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never understood why The Greek and Vondas even ever came back to Baltimore. It was explained in season 2 that the operation moves from city to city and Vondas tells Joe to expect "new faces" after they bounce. So why even go back after facing that much police/feds involvement? Figured that to be a sign of poor writing concerning their story arc....

Same could be said for Nick showing up in Season 5, even though David Simon explained it as Nick leaving the witness protection program
They could come back because nobody knew who the fukk they were. Sure they had a picture of "Vondas" but he got a new name. And nobody knew who the Greek was. You can't get busted if no one knows who you are. You can't write upa warrant for someone who doesn't "exist".

Demon

Evil b*stard
Daps
Reppin
Hell on Earth
The real on why season 2 get dissed:

First, the "pc" explanation: "It was boring, I don't hate it, it was just boring. yeah, alot of shyt is getting explained. its just boring though. boring...mad boring!!"

what people giving the "pc" explanation should be saying to keep it real: "yo, i thought this shyt was a show about cops and nikkas in the hood! I don't even like the cop parts too much, but i wanna see nikkas in the hood warring and clapping each other over drugs! do i care about how the drugs are getting there...or the grand scheme of things, or how the same drugs affect other communities? hell no! i dont even care about a pig like mcnulty, but at least hes funny, let me see mcnulty getting drunk and black people shooting each other in the hood over drugs! fukk that other bullshyt!"

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
i think its interesting that Season 2 is universally talked about...

i didnt read any forums or talk to friends about The Wire when i watched so i naturally just noticed the action in season 2 was down a good bit from season 1...

but by the end of season2 i loved the story it told...not everything can be microwaved and served the same way

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Season 2 was dope. I just like The Greek story line. It really put things into perspective. You got the Barksdale organization and you look at them and think they are big time, but compared to The Greek, they are small time. They got FBI on the payroll. They move smart and the bosses never get caught up where as Avon and Marlo got pinched (Avon twice).

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Season 2 was dope. I just like The Greek story line. It really put things into perspective. You got the Barksdale organization and you look at them and think they are big time, but compared to The Greek, they are small time. They got FBI on the payroll. They move smart and the bosses never get caught up where as Avon and Marlo got pinched (Avon twice).
You thinking too deep. Be it the Barksdale's weren't really a major operation. They were strong. Theybrung down their own house. If Vondas wanted to be the man. He could easily line the Greek up, much like Stringer did Avon.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
You thinking too deep. Be it the Barksdale's weren't really a major operation. They were strong. Theybrung down their own house. If Vondas wanted to be the man. He could easily line the Greek up, much like Stringer did Avon.

Avon and Stringer wasn't on the same page. Vondas and The Greek ran a tighter ship. And again, Season 2 shows just how powerful Vondas and The Greek were

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Avon and Stringer wasn't on the same page. Vondas and The Greek ran a tighter ship. And again, Season 2 shows just how powerful Vondas and The Greek were
But that doesn't make them "smarter". The Greeks only survived on "luck". They had a lot of nikkas talking, their operation was a little sloppy.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Season 2 was fire, more epic the second time through.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
But that doesn't make them "smarter". The Greeks only survived on "luck". They had a lot of nikkas talking, their operation was a little sloppy.

:what:

If their operation was a little sloppy then what was Avon's and Marlo's?

They were far smarter and more organized than anyone else on the show, beside the best of the police. They were the criminal equivalent of Lester and McNulty.

I don't even understand how this is open to interpretation. To put it into perspective, Avon's face is known because he went to a local basketball game. The Greek's face was never known. That should be a big ass clue they're operating on different levels.

Fred.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well to be fair, Hex. The Greek's face was known by the Sabotkas. He just got a little lucky that his Fed tipped him off in time, so he and Vondas could jet. But i agree. The Greek's organization was a much tighter ship and better run then the Barksdales. The Greek was on another level.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Well to be fair, Hex. The Greek's face was known by the Sabotkas. He just got a little lucky that his Fed tipped him off in time, so he and Vondas could jet. But i agree. The Greek's organization was a much tighter ship and better run then the Barksdales. The Greek was on another level.

I meant his face was never known to the police.

Fred.

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what:

If their operation was a little sloppy then what was Avon's and Marlo's?

They were far smarter and more organized than anyone else on the show, beside the best of the police. They were the criminal equivalent of Lester and McNulty.

I don't even understand how this is open to interpretation. To put it into perspective, Avon's face is known because he went to a local basketball game. The Greek's face was never known. That should be a big ass clue they're operating on different levels.

Fred.
Avon's face wasn't known to the police because he went to a basketball game. His face was known because he boxed as a youth. Vondas is in pictures, "The Greek" is in pictures. they just don't know who "The Greek" was. If not for shoddy police work and dumb luck. The Greek could've just as easily been booked.

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tighter based on what? They were into bigger things, their ship wasn't exactly tight. Sobotka saved the Greeks more than the Feds. If Frank's phone didn't get flagged and if he didn't ask for Beadie, that whole operation would've imploded. Also ifFatboy from Homicide had told Daniels about the double g murder it would've been done deal. That's dumb luck.