Is returnal game of the year so far?

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Nah, it's wishes it was as good as close to being Metroid.

There is nothing remarkable or even really great about the game.

The story is interesting, but the gameplay and map design not so much.

Returnal is a rogue like with some Metroidvania sprinkled in. It does neither particularly outstanding.

Especially the Metroidvania part.

We'll agree to disagree bro.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees

Returnal is a rogue like with some Metroidvania sprinkled in. It does neither particularly outstanding.

I can't compare it with Dread because I haven't played it but the bolded is just flat out untrue.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What about the gameplay isn’t outstanding about Returnal that you like about Metroid Dread :ohhh:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
There is a reason I said Metroid Prime and not Metroid Dread. Returnal and Metroid Dread are only similar in like two ways. RReturnal has a lot more in common with the Metroid Prime series.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
What about the gameplay isn’t outstanding about Returnal that you like about Metroid Dread :ohhh:

The only leg he has to stand on is if he's not a fan of rougue-like/lite elements or maybe the game being "difficult". That's it. He tried to act like the level design and gameplay wasn't good tho.:stopitslime: GTFOH with that bullshyt.:camby:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:stopitslime: They should have done that on release day.

People gotta realize this is their first big AAA game on a new platform at that. They are still a relatively small team and were still independent at the time of development. They commented that both features took a good deal of work to properly implement.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
People gotta realize this is their first big AAA game on a new platform at that. They are still a relatively small team and were still independent at the time of development. They commented that both features took a good deal of work to properly implement.

Funny thing is Returnal is closer to the original Rogue game than something like Hades. Returnal is a Rogue-Like, Hades is a Rogue-Lite.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I can't compare it with Dread because I haven't played it but the bolded is just flat out untrue.
If you haven't played a rogue like than I can seeing feeling like this.

I really enjoy rogue like and Metroidvania games, and this one isn't one that is memorable not was it enjoyable or do anything standout imo.

My favorite part about this game is the dual sense.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The only leg he has to stand on is if he's not a fan of rougue-like/lite elements or maybe the game being "difficult". That's it. He tried to act like the level design and gameplay wasn't good tho.:stopitslime: GTFOH with that bullshyt.:camby:

Tell me what about this is superior to say hades?

If you like the atmosphere and graphics sure.

But for me the gameplay was very dry even though it was difficult.

The level designs weren't anything amazing like most rougelike games.

Granted it's not really fair to compare Metroid to this since really they are two different genres.

They just share a sci Fi theme among other things

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Hades is easier than Returnal.

i'd say Hades, Returnal, Dread are all about the same level of difficulty when it comes to actual encounter design. The thing that makes Returnal seem hard is the Rogue like element. Its much more of a time sink with runs lasting longer, versus hades that has a quick jump in and go element to it. I can knock out like 4 runs in the same time frame as one in Returnal on top of all the upgrades you get.

dread has checkpoints so that automatically makes it easy