Is returnal game of the year so far?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Best Video Games for 2021
Psychonauts 2 is the first new game that isn't a port to appear on their list.
Best Video Games of 2021
According to this it's either Psychonauts 2 or It takes Two.

GOTY aren’t only based on metacritic ratings though

Red dead redemption 2 had the highest rating of that year and lost to god of War, Sekiro also wasn’t the highest rated game that year

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Best Video Games for 2021
Psychonauts 2 is the first new game that isn't a port to appear on their list.
Best Video Games of 2021
According to this it's either Psychonauts 2 or It takes Two.

What an interesting observation that's sure to stimulate some very engaging (and respectful) discussions within our online community
full

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
GOTY aren’t only based on metacritic ratings though

Red dead redemption 2 had the highest rating of that year and lost to god of War, Sekiro also wasn’t the highest rated game that year

psychonauts 2 winning…you’d know this if you played the game…some levels are a damn masterpiece…outright criminal if this game isn’t acknowledged

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Is psychonauts 2 worth picking up? It's just a platformer right?

I still gotta play disco but I thought that came out last year

Deathloop I quit after 4 hours, I haven't had the time but I wasn't that impressed and it seemed overly complicated

Returnal was the perfect pick up and play game, press a button and it does something. Great graphics and framerate. I'm terms of fun and the feeling of accomplishment for beating a boss ...nothing comes close..one of the best games I played the last decade

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
It's still mine but I haven't played Deathloop, Psychonauts or Village.

It's the perfect challenge and actually helps you improve the more you play it. Gives you permanent upgrades that help you overcome the difficulty. Levels are beautiful, atmosphere of the game is on point, and it runs perfectly. If you die you can't complain because you know what you fukked up. Music during boss battles is crazy. Weapons feel great and it's probably the best use of the dual sense. That audio cue from the controller speaker was a nice touch.

Cons were the confusing story and not being able to play another game if you were in the middle of a run. I had to turn off auto updates so it wouldn't kill my run in standby mode.

Sekiro winning GOTY makes me think it's possible for Returnal but I don't hear a lot of convo about it the same way I heard about Sekiro.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Deathloop I quit after 4 hours, I haven't had the time but I wasn't that impressed and it seemed overly complicated

game opens up after the tutorial as someone explained to me…I wasn’t gonna quit it but I was a little annoyed at how complicated they made it…there’s a point where you kill a character and get the ability to retain guns/powers even if you die…the process for retaining these abilities seemed overly complex but once you do it on your own it’s ridiculously easy and the game becomes fun once you’re able to move at your pace after the tutorial…still hoping for DLC…if none drops and september is a dull month next year, then I’ll probably play it again on xbox…should be on game pass day one :yes:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I need to revisit returnal…I’ve played some pretty tough games as of late (F.I.S.T., kena, metroid dread) and feel like I’d be a lot better at it as a result