Is returnal game of the year so far?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, exactly. I didn't even touch the control factor in my breakdown. As great as it feels playing Samus, Selene controls just that much better due to its control set-up not being as obfuscated as Dread's can be.

It’s that old school way of designing games thats still present in dread thats weird to me. It’s like instead of using the control pad to map to different weapons and skills how about we just use every single button and then a combination of buttons to use skills and completely ignore the d-pad altogether?

It’ll take 3 button presses to do something relatively simple like hook shot/cling to a wall, switch to rockets, aim and shoot, which is like 5 different button presses. And if you aim down your sights a little too soon it will tell Samus to drop from the wall

This made sense when there were less buttons on a controller but it doesn’t make sense now.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
It’s that old school way of designing games thats still present in dread thats weird to me. It’s like instead of using the control pad to map to different weapons and skills how about we just use every single button and then a combination of buttons to use skills and completely ignore the d-pad altogether?

It’ll take 3 button presses to do something relatively simple like hook shot/cling to a wall, switch to rockets, aim and shoot, which is like 5 different button presses. And if you aim down your sights a little too soon it will tell Samus to drop from the wall

This made sense when there are less buttons on a controller but it doesn’t make sense now.

This whole post reads like playing Metroid Dread would be a fukking chore. :hhh:

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah thats a weird criticism. I think if anything, the two games almost perfect two things and its movement/gameplay. I think Dread is about as good as it gets as far as movement in a 2d platformer/shooter. It feels fast and snappy, although you do have to fight the controls somewhat.

Returnal right off the bat feels fast, and snappy, and accurate. When you lose in returnal you know its your fault due to how quick Selene moves and the amount of skill sets the game gives you.

I also think the control scheme in Returnal are far superior in general, especially when combined with the dualsense. There was rarely ever a time in returnal i felt that i was killed because the button layout or imprecision was the cause of it, maybe aside from walking off a ledge due to clarity.

Right. I can only argue Dread's traversal mechanics being better. Probably cuz it leans on its original genre styling of no-fall death platforming.

It’s just strange. I love Dread and I can easily see why some would prefer it to Returnal.

But I’m just curious about what he’s talking about, specifically, in game play.

Returnal gives me Doom 2016 vibes so I’m just curious to what shooters (3rd or 1st person) that he likes and what about their m2m gameplay is preferable to him.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
What an interesting observation that's sure to stimulate some very engaging (and respectful) discussions within our online community
full
:laff:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Is psychonauts 2 worth picking up? It's just a platformer right?

I still gotta play disco but I thought that came out last year

Deathloop I quit after 4 hours, I haven't had the time but I wasn't that impressed and it seemed overly complicated

Returnal was the perfect pick up and play game, press a button and it does something. Great graphics and framerate. I'm terms of fun and the feeling of accomplishment for beating a boss ...nothing comes close..one of the best games I played the last decade
Psychonauts 2 is fire.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Unless SMT V really really delivers, Returnal is still my GOTY. The culmination of a small studio delivering a AAA classic. Gameplay marries their arcade style with rogue elements, gorgeous visuals and a unique way to experience the narrative. Dread was dope and so was Deathloop but when that
Don't Fear the Reaper played during the credits, I stood up and clapped lol

Top 5 of 2021 looking like:

Returnal
Metroid Dread
Deathloop
Hitman 3
Monster Hunter Rise

SMT will probably sneak into that list next month

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
That was the best game I've ever played and fun. Its def game of the year to me for sure

:wow: damn I didn't want to say it but fukk it you went there. Could be the GOAT game I won't argue. I was thinking exactly that when I beat it... this is one of the greatest games I ever played.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If Returnal was named Metroid:Rogue and made by Nintendo it would have a 97 on metacritic and stanned to oblivion :mjpls:

nah…but it wouldn’t be a rogue and would also have more user-friendly save points that provide an experience a lot more gamers could enjoy :ehh: