Is returnal game of the year so far?

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
i'd say Hades, Returnal, Dread are all about the same level of difficulty when it comes to actual encounter design. The thing that makes Returnal seem hard is the Rogue like element. Its much more of a time sink with runs lasting longer, versus hades that has a quick jump in and go element to it. I can knock out like 4 runs in the same time frame as one in Returnal on top of all the upgrades you get.

dread has checkpoints so that automatically makes it easy

What makes Returnal harder is the fact that you have to literally start from scratch basically everytime you die, with the exception of a few items. Once you upgrade that mirror in Hades and your weapons the challenge slowly dwindles away, on top of the fact Returnal grinds you down into dust over time and tests your actual will to stick it out and beat it, whereas Hades eventually you are gonna beat it no matter what because the upgrades you unlock and carry over between playthroughs. Hades reminds me more of a Rogue-Lite God of War with random levels, whereas Returnal reminds me a lot more of Dark Souls, even down to how they present the atmosphere, story, and how the levels are designed even if they are random. They are both good games I love them both, but Returnal is definitely more difficult than Hades.

I haven't played Dread so I can't comment on that.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Tell me what about this is superior to say hades?

If you like the atmosphere and graphics sure.

But for me the gameplay was very dry even though it was difficult.

The level designs weren't anything amazing like most rougelike games.

Granted it's not really fair to compare Metroid to this since really they are two different genres.

They just share a sci Fi theme among other things

I'd initially keep the comparison to Metroid Dread, as that's where my commentary vs. yours stems from. However, Hades can be added to the mix with some of it, since you asked.

The moment to moment gameplay with even just the normal (non-true bosses) enemies is definitely better in Returnal that Dread and on par or better than Hades. This is due to both the variance of enemies per levels, their challenge factor and your guns/weapons and power-ups you get. I will say that Hades has even more variables in a typical rogue-like factor when it comes to it's rng scenarios tho, as far like the reward vs. detrimental effects that you can get. Obviously that part doesn't apply to Dread in it not being of that genre. But that said, the weapons at a base level, I'd say Returnal's are better overall.

The level design was actually very good, considering it's quasi procedural generated, the level design were dope as fukk. There's both more original assets artistically speaking designs than the usual far of these type of games (like Hades) and thus limitations to their variances in the level design layouts in some degrees than some other rng procedural generated levels in other games, but among the ones that are there are outstanding and at least take a while before you start seeing the "samey" layouts per each level.

Boss fights, Returnal definitely wins this overall. Granted, it has the "bigger/grander" scale of game type to really give that next level gravitas to it, but even just as far as challenge factor, it's at the very least equal with both Hades and Dread in that regard, for the most part. I think Dread might've been a lil more difficult in only that regardless of power ups in Dread, your defensive capabilities and/or over defense in general is kinda muted or nuetered. Like, energy tanks almost don't mean shyt when you getting hit and it takes 2+ full tanks of damage.

This might be a bit more subjective, but map and progress, while mostly dope in the non-hand holding sense in Dread, is ultimately handled better in Returnal, as it's not as confusing to know how/where to progress. Narrative/story-telling definitely better in Returnal that Dread. Might not outright be over Hades, considering how in-depth it continues to get through playthroughs. Hard to say tho tbh. Depends on how you like your narrative delivered, I suppose.

Returnal shares its dna quite a bit with Metroid period. It's obviously a bit of its inspiration. They have the same sort of isolated theme and vibe going. And it has the usual metroidvania tropes of requiring select power ups to access different areas.

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Hades definitely presents it story in a better way than Returnal, Hades actually wants you to care about it's story though. Returnal not so much, it is closer to a Souls game in it is atmospheric and immersive, where as Hades felt more like a quest. Returnal presents it story just like Dark Souls; if you play the game, read the text on items and things in your codex you will eventually figure out what is going on, but it isn't gonna force you to care about the story either, it cares more about you playing the game and seeing everything it offers. You can play the whole game and not give a fukk about the story just like a Souls game.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tell me what about this is superior to say hades?

If you like the atmosphere and graphics sure.

But for me the gameplay was very dry even though it was difficult.

The level designs weren't anything amazing like most rougelike games.

Granted it's not really fair to compare Metroid to this since really they are two different genres.

They just share a sci Fi theme among other things

You keep saying the gameplay is dry or subpar.

What aspect of the movement, moment to moment gameplay, shooting, and enemy design not do for you?

I’m just shocked. I’ve heard people complain about the game and find issues but I’m not seeing many people complain about the moment to moment gameplay loop.

Can you explain what about the moment to moment gameplay, shooting, and traversal in something like Metroid Dread makes it less dry than Returnal?

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I haven't even played Metroid Dread, but judging by the videos I've seen that gameplay looks like it would put me to sleep. :russell:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

What aspect of the movement, moment to moment gameplay, shooting, and enemy design not do for you?

I’m just shocked. I’ve heard people complain about the game and find issues but I’m not seeing many people complain about the moment to moment gameplay loop.

Can you explain what about the moment to moment gameplay, shooting, and traversal in something like Metroid Dread makes it less dry than Returnal?

Yeah thats a weird criticism. I think if anything, the two games almost perfect two things and its movement/gameplay. I think Dread is about as good as it gets as far as movement in a 2d platformer/shooter. It feels fast and snappy, although you do have to fight the controls somewhat.

Returnal right off the bat feels fast, and snappy, and accurate. When you lose in returnal you know its your fault due to how quick Selene moves and the amount of skill sets the game gives you.

I also think the control scheme in Returnal are far superior in general, especially when combined with the dualsense. There was rarely ever a time in returnal i felt that i was killed because the button layout or imprecision was the cause of it, maybe aside from walking off a ledge due to clarity.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I haven't even played Metroid Dread, but judging by the videos I've seen that gameplay looks like it would put me to sleep. :russell:

Moment to moment gameplay in dread is good and the rewards/progression system is very satisfying. I think the biggest knock against it is how easy it is to get lost and end up backtracking for too long.

….but then again, if it was more straight forward the game would be even shorter

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Moment to moment gameplay in dread is good and the rewards/progression system is very satisfying. I think the biggest knock against it is how easy it is to get lost and end up backtracking for too long.

….but then again, if it was more straight forward the game would be even shorter

It's a 2D side scroller. Not really my speed, I may give it a chance though if Nintendo ever drops the price on it. Definitely not gonna pay full price for it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's a 2D side scroller. Not really my speed, I may give it a chance though if Nintendo ever drops the price on it. Definitely not gonna pay full price for it.

Yeah, i wouldn’t hold it against anyone for waiting for a price drop its really not even 10 hours long realistically. I don’t typically equate cost of games to length but I beat Dread in like 2 1/2 sessions which is prob the shortest gaming experience for me this year

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, i wouldn’t hold it against anyone for waiting for a price drop its really not even 10 hours long realistically. I don’t typically equate cost of games to length but I beat Dread in like 2 1/2 sessions which is prob the shortest gaming experience for me this year

Length of a game has nothing to do with quality or value. You can beat Hades in 45 minutes once you know what you are doing, people have speedrun it in 24 minutes. Returnal can be beaten in 4 hours once you know what to do. Even switching genres RE2 Remake can be beaten in like an hour and a half and that is a GOAT level game.

Assassins Creed Valhalla is 100+ hours of repetition which should of gotten cut off at 30 hours and added a cooperative or PvP element for the raids in the game to extend the length.

Length does not equal quality.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Length of a game has nothing to do with quality or value. You can beat Hades in 45 minutes once you know what you are doing, people have speedrun it in 24 minutes. Returnal can be beaten in 4 hours once you know what to do. Even switching genres RE2 Remake can be beaten in like an hour and a half and that is a GOAT level game.

Assassins Creed Valhalla is 100+ hours of repetition which should of gotten cut off at 30 hours and added a cooperative or PvP element for the raids in the game to extend the length.

Length does not equal quality.

I just mean you’d be hard pressed to get more than 10-13 hours out of it. Props to anyone that can beat Returnal or Hades in less than 10 hours their first time playing. Or in other words, if you want to at least complete the main story of the two games it will run you at least 20 hours of play time.

Once you’re done with Dread the only thing you really have left to do is do those completion time challenges and theres no real reward for it. It’s amount to, “you like the game? Cool now play through it faster” thats the replay value

I’d say the same with kena if it wasn’t already 40 dollars brand new

Last edited:

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

Right. I can only argue Dread's traversal mechanics being better. Probably cuz it leans on its original genre styling of no-fall death platforming.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

Nah, Dread is fire. Definitely a GOTY contender in itself. But yeah, if you don't like 2d games or metroidvania platformers, then I suppose it might not sway you. If possible, I'd still recommend at least giving it a shot.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah thats a weird criticism. I think if anything, the two games almost perfect two things and its movement/gameplay. I think Dread is about as good as it gets as far as movement in a 2d platformer/shooter. It feels fast and snappy, although you do have to fight the controls somewhat.

Returnal right off the bat feels fast, and snappy, and accurate. When you lose in returnal you know its your fault due to how quick Selene moves and the amount of skill sets the game gives you.

I also think the control scheme in Returnal are far superior in general, especially when combined with the dualsense. There was rarely ever a time in returnal i felt that i was killed because the button layout or imprecision was the cause of it, maybe aside from walking off a ledge due to clarity.

Yeah, exactly. I didn't even touch the control factor in my breakdown. As great as it feels playing Samus, Selene controls just that much better due to its control set-up not being as obfuscated as Dread's can be.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Nah, Dread is fire. Definitely a GOTY contender in itself. But yeah, if you don't like 2d games or metroidvania platformers, then I suppose it might not sway you. If possible, I'd still recommend at least giving it a shot.

Like I said if I can get Dread for $20-30, I'll give it a try. I aint paying $60 for that shyt though.