Is it widely known that Hip Hop/Rap was born in Jamaica?

Dev2103

All Star
Daps
:snoop: This was discussed at length in that where are the Latinos in Empire thread and neither side would budge on if Jamaicans had some influence...just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
when you come down to it africa wins

by way of the bx
by way of the south

bx/nyc has more caribbean jamaican immigrants therefore it's easier to link dancehall/hip-hop/rap in most peoples minds:yeshrug:+
Now it does, it wasn't always like this. This is the problem to me. People are confusing what they see now or recently, and assume it was always like this.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:snoop: This was discussed at length in that where are the Latinos in Empire thread and neither side would budge on if Jamaicans had some influence...just agree to disagree.
Its crazy that we are arguing about this because the FACTS are out there for everyone to see. Its not like we stating opinions. I'm shocked that black people who know what its like to have things taken from us, only to have people twist things around, are doing it to each other.

I would never say Black Americans created Reggae because that style is theirs, and everyone knows it. I would never say Black Americans created salsa because that style is Latins. So why when we do something all of a sudden others created our shyt? It is foul to me, and if I was a creator of hip hop, I would hate the younger generation because instead of accepting the truth, they want to hear what sounds, and feels good.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
Now it does, it wasn't always like this. This is the problem to me. People are confusing what they see now or recently, and assume it was always like this.

:yeshrug:the past isn't as captivating as the present or future moment in many cases+

the images and sounds that birthed and influenced rap/hip-hop are not being revisited and consumed by most people currently so the history isn't accurately traced back+

:manny:what can you do¿+

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
North Carolina invented rap back in the early 1970s in between a barbershop and a Baptist church in Snow Hill, NC The rhythmic electric buzzing of the electric clippers was inspiration for a choir director who would say spiritual rhymes as he heard the barbershop buzzing from his church window. He would lace piano arrangements over this. He taught his son some of these things, who moved to the Bronx with his ex-wife a few years later into the same building as DJ Kool Herc. Herc heard the son cutting his own hair and doing poetry and figured it would be a unique way to play music at shows, by having people speak above the music. This is how Hip Hop really started.

full

Last edited:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
North Carolina invented rap back in the early 1970s in between a barbershop and a Baptist church in Snow Hill, NC The rhythmic electric buzzing of the electric clippers was inspiration for a choir director who would say spiritual rhymes as he heard the barbershop buzzing from his church window. He would lace piano arrangements over this. He taught his son some of these things, who moved to the Bronx with his ex-wife a few years later into the same building as DJ Kool Herc. Herc heard the son cutting his own hair and doing poetry and figured it would be a unique way to play music at shows, by having people speak above the music. This is how Hip Hop really started.

full

Cotdamn I was joking..... :dwillhuh: :bryan: :damn: :whoo: :ohhh:

The first recognized MC's parents was from North Carolina.....

The first modern rappers in he scene(s) that birth HipHop were actually Disco Dj"s!!. For the record, Coke La Rock didn't rap like a modern rapper and he's actually from North Carolina

The first people in NYC to "Rap" on the mic were these Disco DJ's like Dj Hollywood and Lovebug Starski . The Kool Herc school of "Mcing" which started off with his main sidekick/MC by name of Coka La Rock . The confusion as where to Rapping started comes from the misconception that American Rapping evolved out of Jamaican "Toasting" via Coke La Rock who was thought to thought to be of Jamaican descent

"The first emcee in hip hop history has been ignored and disrespected for far too long. That is why he will be the first representative of the original hip hop generation to be inducted into the High Times Counterculture Hall of Fame at the High Times Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam on November 25, 2010. In this video, Coke discusses how he got his name (from drinking chocolate milk), some of the errors in fact that have been circulated about him, and talks in detail about the night Kool Herc was stabbed at a party, an event which led to Coke withdrawing from the hip hop scene just as Grandmaster Flash, the L Brothers, The Funky Four, and the Cold Crush Brothers were emerging to take hip hop to new heights."

Herc and Coke La Rock did not rap or do syncopated talking that rhymes while flowing to a beat/music. What Coke La Rock did was more like a radio Dj which is more like Jamaican toasting. Now, the question is, what is the relationship between American Rapping and Jamaican Toasting? The connection is oldschool Afram Jive speak/patter/other oral traditions! Jamaican Toasting is an offshoot of Afram Jive that Jamaicans picked up on in the 1940's/50's from Black Radio DJ and Jazz R&B records. Read below..

34QA801.png

:mjcry: :to: North Carolina Coitus Excellence .. :wow: :blessed:

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Rap has many influences and cant be seen as being taken from one culture or another. Like others have said Satchmo and Markham have to be seen as influences on the genre in particular. Like duds said Pigmeat sounds just like a rapper straight out of the 80's with his flow. No doubt that Jamaican music had an influence on rap but it's not the sole reason that it exists either.

JAY?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I thought it was invented by that cac rapping about the locomotive

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
If you got the time please do an audit of "their" music. Sounds like a lot of things need to be set straight. The more I looked the more I was :ohhh:. It's not about being hateful or hostile. It's about setting the record straight, clearing up misperceptions and misconceptions, so things don't continue as "fact" down the road. It should have never gotten to this point to be honest.

I don't want to take credit for their popular (non-folk) music but it's well documented that the biggest influence on Jamaican popular music is/was Black American music. It was almost 1960! before Jamaica had produced a popular music (Ska), before that time, only Trinidad was making noise in the world of popular music with their Calypsos as far as West Indian music went.

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
I look at it like this. I'm not hating on OP (thank you by the way) because I got some knowledge from it. I'm an old n*gga compared to a lot of you all. So I've been listening to rap for decades now. Not once did I ever know about DJ Hollywood, Grandmaster Flowers and plenty others who also helped lay the foundation for the music we appreciate today. Never knew the role disco had until I started reading. I have a new found respect, but there were others who've never been acknowledged as being instrumental in forming what we have. All the years of looking at YO MTV Raps, Rap City on BET and never heard about those men (in addition to the older heads). For DECADES I had no idea they even existed. Partially because the internet wasn't what it is today, and my ignorance due to the fact I believed the narrative told. So why look any further?

If you helped pioneer/influence an art form that's gone global wouldn't you want to be credited? I know I would. DJ Hollywood, Mario and others are the amino acids/building blocks like the others. The only difference was I never knew of him. Honestly, it saddens me to just find this out now. Millions are just as ignorant to others input because they never got any shine. Hollywood is still alive (from what I've read), so why not give that man his long overdue props? He deserves it. If anybody reading this knows this man directly or indirectly tell him I said "Thank You". Others are already dead and gone, but he's still here. Imagine doing something that changed the world and nobody would ever believe you outside a small few? That's tough. There's no better time than the present. There's enough room for everyone to get their credit.

Like I said earlier...I appreciate everyone involved in the discussion. :salute:Thank you.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I look at it like this. I'm not hating on OP (thank you by the way) because I got some knowledge from it. I'm an old n*gga compared to a lot of you all. So I've been listening to rap for decades now. Not once did I ever know about DJ Hollywood, Grandmaster Flowers and plenty others who also helped lay the foundation for the music we appreciate today. Never knew the role disco had until I started reading. I have a new found respect, but there were others who've never been acknowledged as being instrumental in forming what we have. All the years of looking at YO MTV Raps, Rap City on BET and never heard about those men (in addition to the older heads). For DECADES I had no idea they even existed. Partially because the internet wasn't what it is today, and my ignorance due to the fact I believed the narrative told. So why look any further?

That's what happened with most people...they just see the standard HipHop history without actually checking it out to see if it was fact

If you helped pioneer/influence an art form that's gone global wouldn't you want to be credited? I know I would. DJ Hollywood, Mario and others are the amino acids/building blocks like the others. The only difference was I never knew of him. Honestly, it saddens me to just find this out now. Millions are just as ignorant to others input because they never got any shine. Hollywood is still alive (from what I've read), so why not give that man his long overdue props? He deserves it. If anybody reading this knows this man directly or indirectly tell him I said "Thank You". Others are already dead and gone, but he's still here. Imagine doing something that changed the world and nobody would ever believe you outside a small few? That's tough. There's no better time than the present. There's enough room for everyone to get their credit.

Like I said earlier...I appreciate everyone involved in the discussion. :salute:Thank you.

Hollywood is still here...

DJ Hollywood unlike most of those other cats was already a payed legend for his rapping/stage show in the early 70's with mixtapes as early as 1972. Hollwood was "all city" and performing at the Apollo etc..

3. Disco DJ's were hands down the first to the do syncopated rhyming to the beat. It's not even up for debate. DJ Hollywood was the early pioneer around 1971 and then people like Cheeba and Lovebug Starski followed. They were in Harlem, Manhattan etc..

* A Disco Dj/Rapper, LuvBug Starski coined the term(He actually got it from Hollywood) "HipHop" somewhere around/after 1975

More on the Disco Dj's being the pioneers of rapping/syncopated flowing-rhyming before the Bronx based Herc crowd.

0PL4JDn.jpg

bS8W0Gy.jpg

xNMeO03.jpg

some videos

Baambaata looking salty as fuk @ 2:53. Listen to Flash and Grandmaster Caz tell just how big Hollywood was in the rap game. Dude was so big he was getting booked with r&b legends at the Apollo before people even were aware of a HipHop subculture

OvDbXjC.jpg

Last edited: