Is it widely known that Hip Hop/Rap was born in Jamaica?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
There's a reason Hiphop was born in the melting pot and not some segregated shyt hole in the south.
im a new York breh. But come on son

Modern music as we know it was created by the south:stopitslime:

No other region in the world has been more prolific in the creation of global appropriated music genres than the black American south:stopitslime:

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One of Hip-Hop's biggest travesty is Kool Herc's underappreciation, tho:to:

...sidebar, I always loved Waterbed Hev and SuperCat late 80s tandem:myman:

Why did this thread take such a hostile turn, Hip-Hop still cultivated from BLACKEXCELLENCE:mjcry:

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
One of Hip-Hop's biggest travesty is Kool Herc's underappreciation, tho:to:

...sidebar, I always loved Waterbed Hev and SuperCat late 80s tandem:myman:

Why did this thread take such a hostile turn, Hip-Hop still cultivated from BLACKEXCELLENCE:mjcry:

I disagree. A lot of false historians would have you believe kool herc was some type of messiah that single-handedly bestowed rap upon the people

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps

If you got the time please do an audit of "their" music. Sounds like a lot of things need to be set straight. The more I looked the more I was :ohhh:. It's not about being hateful or hostile. It's about setting the record straight, clearing up misperceptions and misconceptions, so things don't continue as "fact" down the road. It should have never gotten to this point to be honest.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Hey @IllmaticDelta can you expound on the Spanish tinge and its impact on the creation of jazz while were at it. Dudes were trying to say that jazz had Caribbean and Spanish origins because of that and the racial dynamics of new Orlean(supposedly Caribbean creoles). Me myself I always saw the Spanish tinge as an African American interpretation through scott joplin

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
when you come down to it africa wins

by way of the bx
by way of the south

bx/nyc has more caribbean jamaican immigrants therefore it's easier to link dancehall/hip-hop/rap in most peoples minds:yeshrug:+

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Hey @IllmaticDelta can you expound on the Spanish tinge and its impact on the creation of jazz while were at it. Dudes were trying to say that jazz had Caribbean and Spanish origins because of that and the racial dynamics of new Orlean(supposedly Caribbean creoles).

Basically that whole thing started from Jelly Roll Morton saying you needed "Spanish Tinge" which is a tresillo/Habanera aka Tango rhythm to have the right flavoring for Jazz. Example where he uses it..

We know this is false because that lacked in even most of his own compositions. What really makes Jazz sound like Jazz is/was is Blues inflictions

Elements of Jazz

A. Tone Colors

Jazz musicians play their instruments utilizing the complete gamut of tone colors (tonal quality) that their instruments will allow.

B. Emotional Expression

Unlike classical players who usually strive for a clear, “pure” tone, jazz players strive for a tone that is generally more “vocal” in nature, i.e., jazz musicians will bend pitches, “growl,” “whine,” play “raunchy,” “dark,” “light,” “airy,” “raspy,” “bluesy,” “throaty,” “nasally” (anything the human voice can do to express emotion and then some) in addition to playing clearly.

http://www.jazzinamerica.org/LessonPlan/11/2/158

Me myself I always saw the Spanish tinge as an African American interpretation through scott joplin

It is. White writers used to try to whitewash Jazz by going through Creoles even though Jazz origins have nothing to do with them. Jazz was born from AfroAnglos in New Orleans who had the heritage of Blues and Ragtime. FrancoAfricans didn't have any real music and were trying to play European music at opera houses. They tried to tie the Spanish Tinge to the Carib though the Creoles and then Cuba witch was also just conjecture because those motifs are all the South where Black Americans were with no Creoles/caribs. As supper and myself posted before...

Even the Cuban influences on African-American music are grossly overstated largely by dishonest Cuban nationalist. The so called "Habanera" otherwise known as the "Spanish Tinge" and the "Clave" motifs which aren't even that prominent in Jazz & RnB as compared to Swing & Backbeat rhythms originate in native African-American folk dances down on the plantations of the US south such as the Juba dance & Ring Shouts and from there were transferred into the Charleston dance and Bo-Diddley's hit single which popularized the "clave" rhythm in America which are shown to have no connections to Cuba.

Exactly! Cubans are famous for beating the clave beat in most of their music so it's associated with them but that beat is pan-AfroNewWorld because of shared african ancestry. What we call BoDiddley or Hambone is native to the USA and not an import from Cuba.

SBUobDR.jpg

e9LxSxa.jpg

next people are going to say the dembow-like beat (another pan-AfroNewWorld beat) you hear in the ringshouts of the sea islands are from the carib:mjlol:

Posted this in another thread but I'll post again, here

Pattin' Juba aka Hambone

The Juba dance or hambone, originally known as Pattin' Juba (Giouba, Haiti: Djouba), is a style of dance that involves stomping as well as slapping and patting the arms, legs, chest, and cheeks. "Pattin' Juba" would be used to keep time for other dances during a walkaround. A Juba Dance performance could include:

• counter-clockwise turning, often with one leg raised
  • stomping and slapping
  • steps such as "the Jubal Jew," "Yaller Cat," "Pigeon Wing" and "Blow That Candle Out."

History of the dance
The Juba dance was originally from West Africa. It became an African-American plantation dance that was performed by slaves during their gatherings when no rhythm instruments were allowed due to fear of secret codes hidden in the drumming. The sounds were also used just as Yoruba and Haitian talking drums were used to communicate.[2] The dance was performed in Dutch Guiana, the Caribbean, and the southern United States.[3]

Related songs
"Juba Juba", a popular song about the Juba:[2]

Juba dis and Juba dat,
and Juba killed da yellow cat,
You sift the meal and ya gimme the husk,
you bake the bread and ya gimme the crust,
you eat the meat and ya gimme the skin,
and that's the way,
my mama's troubles begin

A song about the hambone from Step it Down (v.s.):

Hambone Hambone pat him on the shoulder
If you get a pretty girl, I'll show you how to hold her.
Hambone, Hambone, where have you been?
All 'round the world and back again.
Hambone, Hambone, what did you do?
I got a train and I fairly flew.
Hambone, Hambone where did you go?
I hopped up to Miss Lucy's door.
I asked Miss Lucy would she marry me.
(falsetto)
"Well I don't care if Papa don't care!"
First come in was Mister Snake,
He crawled all over that wedding cake.
Next walked in was Mister Tick,
He ate so much it made him sick.
Next walked in was Mister c00n,
We asked him to sing us a wedding tune,
Now Ham-....
Now Ham....

It's the same thing as the Bo Diddley beat

Bo Diddley beat

The Bo Diddley Beat is a kind of syncopated five-accent clave rhythm. The Bo Diddley beat is named after Bo Diddley, who introduced and popularised the beat with his self-titled debut single. Although Bo Diddley was a rhythm and blues musician essentially, the beat is widely used in rock and roll and pop music.[2][3][4]

How he came upon it

How did the song "Bo Diddley" come about?

He was playing the hambone beat, as I said. He was singing, "Papa gonna buy his babe a diamond ring," and playing the hambone beat. And I suggested, why don't you say Bo Diddley? That's how that name came into the picture. 'Cause instead of saying papa gonna buy his babe a diamond," why don't you say, "Bo Diddley's gonna buy his babe a diamond ring." That's how that word, and that's how--I wrote some of the lyrics on the song, about three of the verses. And we made up on the same song on, just as me suggesting. Why don't you say Bo Diddley gonna buy his babe a diamond ring. Because there was a guy at Indiana Theater, which had Midnight Rambler shows on Saturday night. And his name was Bo Diddley, he was a comedian. And they had Butterbeans & Susie, Big Bill Broonzy. Every Saturday night at midnight, they had what they called a Midnight Rambler. Memphis Minnie would play there sometimes, Big Bill Broonzy played there. They'd feature one major blues star every Saturday night.

The first time I heard the word Bo Diddley, I was playing with him on the street in 1951. And the bass player said, "Hey Ellas, there go Bo Diddley," talking about this guy that played the Indiana Theater. And I thought that was the funniest word in my life, I just cracked up. I never forgot that name, Bo Diddley.

So we was doing this recording thing. We had "I'm a Man," we had which was later changed to "You Don't Love Me, You Don't Care," and we had a song called "Little Girl," and we had a song called "Little Grenadier." He had the Bo Diddley type of rhythm, the hambone rhythm on a guitar. He was singing, "hey dirty mother"...and we had to make up a lyric, 'cause that kind of lyric wouldn't have went on the record. Leonard Chess wanted to know, what did Bo Diddley mean? He thought that was a derogatory word or something, 'cause he had never heard it. So I explained that it meant a comical, bow-legged type of a guy. We didn't know--we made the song up, as I said I wrote three of the verses. I was too young to capitalize on getting half the song. I didn't even pay any attention to that. When the record came out, to our surprise, the song was "Bo Diddley," and to our surprise, he named the artist Bo Diddley.

We figured that he might use the word Bo Diddley for the song, but we didn't know that he gonna call the artist Bo Diddley. We thought the record was gonna be Ellas McDaniels and the hipsters singing "Bo Diddley." When we saw the record, it was "Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley. So that's how the word Bo Diddley and the song "Bo Diddley" came about. It was like a fluke, you know. It wasn't something that was made up in his hands.

It was a hit record because of the beat and the guitar. It ain't nothing but the hambone beat, actually. But he's playing it on the guitar with the tremolo. It had that organ effect, and the words was comical. The fact that it was called Bo Diddley might have helped.

http://www.richieunterberger.com/arnold.html

The "Bo Diddley Beat" (1955) is perhaps the first true fusion of 3-2 clave and R&B/rock 'n' roll.

The Bo Diddley beat is essentially a 3-2 clave rhythm, one of the most common bell patterns found in Afro-Cuban music, and its origin goes back to the sub-Saharan African music traditions.[5] But there is no documentation of a direct Cuban connection to Bo Diddley's adaptation of the clave rhythm. Bo Diddley has given different accounts regarding how he began to use this rhythm.

Which is the same/similar as the Afro-Cuban Clave beat because we (afro diasporans) share common African backgrounds.The beat comes from a West/West Central African bell pattern.

Simply put, the Spanish Tinge is from Africa and that's why it's found all over the AfroNewWorld.