Is it me or is Erykah Badu the Queen of Fake Hotep?

skokiaan

African original
Daps
Reppin
One Africa
And this is my point, she has never proclaimed to be anything but herself thus we can't bash her on the base that she is faking the funk, BUT once again within a discussion on observations of her life and people she has "impacted" a conclusion can be made or at least we can assume that MAYBE she has been a cancer if you will say to the men she has dated.

:mjlol: This thread is so full of stupid fukkery I dunno where to begin, but all Ima say is this type of thinking is definitely one of the contributing factors to problems within the black community. Lack self accountability for your actions as an adult, brehettes

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
As opposed to thinking youre better because youre light and/or got 3A hair? Yall holding the above women to the fire because they are black and think highly of themselves. Now you know that's the worst thing a black woman can do is think highly of herself.
Trying to sh*t on other women isnt thinking highly of yourself, its being insecure.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Hes always been eccentric, he just found his own style/lane and ran with it. Once again whats wrong with that and how does it equate to Badu doing him harm, let alone having anything to do with it? Only in the black community is individualism seen as a bad thing.

Pre-Badu Post-Badu

He hasn't always been eccentric. Don't get me wrong Im a fan of both of their music. I think he got better as an artist being with her but theres no denying she did something spiritually to that nikka

He even addresses it on this song

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
OP: why you trying to hate on the woman? She's really been on that vegan shyt since the 90s. Plus, it was harder to really fake back then. Yeah, she could be on that fake shyt...or not?

Not hating, just making observations. Comes off like Zaza Ali to me. Like I said prior in the thread, her saving grace is she has never claimed something so I nor any of us can say she is faking the funk, my question is "what exactly is her funk" and in connection to that are people being misled by her? She doesn't owe anyone an explanation of anything, this thread is just to have convo. So in a sense I guess the "fake hotep" could be replaced by Herbal Tea Hood Chick in comparison to the Thought provoking Black Revolutionary her fans make her out to be.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Pre-Badu Post-Badu

He hasn't always been eccentric. Don't get me wrong Im a fan of both of their music. I think he got better as an artist being with her but theres no denying she did something spiritually to that nikka

I will say I think Big Boi may have wanted the lifestyle more than Dre, and Dre linking up with Badu just enabled him or if you want to say accelerated him wanting to fall back.

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston

Pre-Badu Post-Badu

This was always Dre's steez, people giving Badu more credit than deserved. The marketing plan was always to come out Southernplayalistic at first to gain that core fanbase. If you notice, first album is Big Boi, second is Dre, third is the perfect combination of both of them, hence the name Aquemini. Its the record label that didn't want you to know how weird Dre was at first, the same way they didn't want you to know how smart Big Boi was. Most people would never guess on their own that Dre was the high school drop out and Big Boi was the straight A honor roll student who was a couple spots away from being valedictorian.

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
i think she got caught up in the pan africanism movement in the early 90s and has just moved in that afro bohemian space. it's where she fits and it's what she's known for. we don't know her life intimately. i think she's made pretty decent music, but she's more infamous than she is talented. she's much more of an image than a musician. when people say they love her, they may know a few songs but i think they just like the character she portrays. we don't even really know what she stands for.

fscballin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kendrick isn't a Hotep cat, he just seems like a Smart Dumb N*gga with good intentions. TPAB was decent commentary from a perspective on someone in a poisonous environment who has awakened but doesn't fully understand the system that creates the evils found in the hood, thus he can make statements like (forgive any inaccuracies) "We marching but dont even respect ourselves" or something to that extent, while valid commentary someone well versed on the world would be making statements on the system creating the evils of the world, and not the actual evil end products.

Awakened from what? That n*gga ain't try a have dark skinned children

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
kendrick-tpab1.jpg

81gtHCWjukL._SX355_.jpg

AqueminiOutKast.jpg

She gave us these classics :wow:

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
Like I been saying from the beginning never take these so called neo soul artist as blueprints cause they no better than the commercial artist they diss ( I.e. nikki, lil wayne, etc)...

From badu to lauyrn hill and her 6 kids to mos def with his 5 kids by 4 different women and even wifin a smut only knowing her for 2 weeks...

dap and +rep; very true :wow: