Is it just me, or did the Olympics actually mean something when we were younger?

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Usain Bolt in ‘08 was fukking legendary, man. His events would shut the whole 24 Hour Fitness down for those few seconds and have everyone :ohlawd::banderas::damn:…random white dudes talmbout, “Dude, he’s fukking jogging out there!!”

My kids run track and idolize breh. I love him for that :dame:

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
I haven't enjoyed the Olympics since Mark Henry..but I did watch Usain Bolt and Gabby Douglas plus Simone Biles and Dominque Dawes.

There is some dope events to watch but mostly I watch women's gymnastics and women's track these days

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Was definitely bigger in the 70s 80s 90s.

Commercials,talk shows,covers of magazines,cereal boxes.Bigger and more charismatic personalities that came through the TV screen.The athletes were beloved by everyone.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympics are GOATed :banderas:

Phelps and Lockte, Gabby Douglas, USA basketball running shyt. Jamaicans crushing everyone at track.
That shyt was fire every night :damn:
Ill never forget getting up at like 4am or some shyt to watch the gold medal match in basketball with young lebron, Kobe, Wade 6th man, etc.. :salute:
Forever goated

Actually met Lochte earlier this year, he cool AF.. We had a group chat for an event and he still be in there talking cash shyt about Gator game coming up, invited everyone to tailgate and all.. His best friend/manager is a breh too :ehh:

Spiider

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It never meant anything to me. I always found it boring and didn’t understand why it was the only time when people pretended to care about certain sports

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
There was less stuff on tv back then.

The Olympics were a amalgamation of sports in one place at one time.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Last good Olympics we Beijing. Nothing has topped those opening ceremonies

The next great Olympics will be in Africa. It'll be a showcase to the world that that nation is ready

Thing is, what country will be willing to take on that financial burden...and at what cost? We saw what happened to Brazil when they mortgaged their entire economy in hopes of winning the world cup and taking that steam into the Olympics.

But if you're going to judge an Olympics off it's opening ceremony and not the actual competition you may as well just let Saudi Arabia do it cause they have the money to put on a show bigger than anyone.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
As a whole? 1996 was the last time I was 100% invested.
Beyond that, I'd tune in for the superstars. Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, etc.

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
Thing is, what country will be willing to take on that financial burden...and at what cost? We saw what happened to Brazil when they mortgaged their entire economy in hopes of winning the world cup and taking that steam into the Olympics.

But if you're going to judge an Olympics off it's opening ceremony and not the actual competition you may as well just let Saudi Arabia do it cause they have the money to put on a show bigger than anyone.
My guess is Tanzania. They have the infrastructure, and growing economy to do it.

But like I said, if you want to assure the world that you're a place for safe foreign direct investment and flex your infrastructure, host the Olympics successfully.

China knew this and went all out for Beijing. We saw its 4,000 year history shine through and it flexed its economic and political power. It was China's way of saying "we're here"

London was trash by comparison because it had nothing to prove. It's a dead empire

Rio was going to be trash because they already blew the world cup in 2014. Brazil was supposed to be the next global super power 60 years ago

I can name others but you get the point. Doing it well is what matters, not just doing it period. We're seeing Paris fail and the games haven't even had a ceremony yet

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I find myself struggling to invest too much energy into any sports anymore, let alone the Olympics. Guess I grew up I hardly ever watch football, basketball, or baseball anymore. Even boxing has kinda fallen by the wayside to me. I got too much to do the more I progress my career and the older my kids get I gotta take care of all that shyt sports are a waste of time honestly.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
My guess is Tanzania. They have the infrastructure, and growing economy to do it.

But like I said, if you want to assure the world that you're a place for safe foreign direct investment and flex your infrastructure, host the Olympics successfully.

China knew this and went all out for Beijing. We saw its 4,000 year history shine through and it flexed its economic and political power. It was China's way of saying "we're here"

London was trash by comparison because it had nothing to prove. It's a dead empire

Rio was going to be trash because they already blew the world cup in 2014. Brazil was supposed to be the next global super power 60 years ago

I can name others but you get the point. Doing it well is what matters, not just doing it period. We're seeing Paris fail and the games haven't even had a ceremony yet

i haven't tracked when the opening ceremony vs. actual play starts...but the fact that the Olympics has already started and the Opening Ceremony is today is :what:

them also being a "world power" and coverage about still not being able to stop shyt from flowing into their main river literally days before the start is legendarily bad.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Even as a kid I never cared about the Olympics aside from Team USA basketball, now I'm younger (born in the late 90's) so it may have something to do with it but I never rushed to the tv or cared about any of the other events like that. :yeshrug:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I never gave a fukk.

No seriously, maybe because American football has always been my favorite sport but I can count on one hand how many times I've actually sat and watched an Olympic event in it's entirety (not the entire Olympics of course, just individual events).

Basketball is my number 2 sport so after 2004 I watched '08 and '12 just to be sure America still running shyt but nah. I'll never understand how nikkas tune in to watch figure skating and the high jump n shyt.

Especially being a black man, I ain't ever had the super patriotism pride to sit and watch just cuz "GO 'MURICA"

Also on a side note, the whole "we built this country"argument from nikkas is annoying. If I build myself a house and then some cac beats me, rapes my family, and forces me and my descendents into slavery mowing the grass and producing crops while never actually getting to live inside my house, instead I just had to build myself a wooden shack to sleep in the field, what the hell am I so proud about building the house for?? It's laughable, until the day we decide to rise up and move in the house and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

We never even got the cotdayum mule. Enjoy your Thursday brehs

A poster who’s slightly more ignorant than the average TLR poster …

Fascinating :ohhh: