Is it just me, or did the Olympics actually mean something when we were younger?

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
As I grew up the Olympics are one of those things where I'm less excited/emotional at the start, but by the end while hearing the closing theme song and seeing the highlights I get sad that it's over and got to wait another four years for the next one.

At the end of the day, the events themselves don't mean much to people watching it because it's just entertainment as it's turned into simply a lot of rich people competing. There's lessons you extract from it though that potentially have personal value.

I don't care at all about the Olypmics, or sports in general, but reading that thread title and first few posts, took me back to the mid 90's for a second. The world to me, seemed so much smaller. There were more things that were like common touch points for everybody. Sports, movies. I remember watching the Olympics at my friends house, at a watch party type of thing, which probably was only one or two years, but felt like a tradition, with all the parents in the front and kids in the back rooms. It was fun, but less about any sport than it was community.

I am sure there are places where that happens still but the whole country has changed so much since, lets say 1997. Everything is a potential landmine of division. and right, the idea that there wasn't a dozen streaming service, and all these options for what to watch. everyone knew about the Olympics. It was a nationwide event.

but also, as an adult, you understand the absurdity and spectacle more to. how much it costs. what really are the stakes of losing a fukking race or whatever compared to what else happens in the world

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I don't care at all about the Olypmics, or sports in general, but reading that thread title and first few posts, took me back to the mid 90's for a second. The world to me, seemed so much smaller. There were more things that were like common touch points for everybody. Sports, movies. I remember watching the Olympics at my friends house, at a watch party type of thing, which probably was only one or two years, but felt like a tradition, with all the parents and kids in the back rooms. It was fun, but less about any sport than it was community.

I am sure there are places where that happens still but the whole country has changed so much since, lets say 1997. Everything is a potential landmine of division. and right, the idea that there wasn't a dozen streaming service, and all these options for what to watch. everyone knew about the Olympics. It was a nationwide event.

but also, as an adult, you understand the absurdity and spectacle more to. how much it costs. what really are the stakes of losing a fukking race or whatever compared to what else happens in the world
Yeah that's facts. A lot of times these guys lose a game and they're still going to have a whole lot of money. shyt if they win, we don't see a dime of it anyways just another bragging right for the American sports program.

End of the day, at this point for the average person it's just a bunch of "feel good" stories, checking out the female competitors and probably crazy opinions to be typed out on social media or expressed on Tiktok if there's an upset. It's just everyday shyt now.

In general, celebrityism is just going down more and more as well.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
News flash. Everything seems larger and more important when you are young.

I used to watch random shyt during the Olympics at 4am. Just be up watching 1st round skeet shooting for no reason because it’s the Olympics.

But now we got jobs. We have kids. We have things to do and realize some Chinaman winning the Gold medal means absolutely nothing to us in the grand scheme of things.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
OIP.c6HGlFdl8N2XF6VJapV6YAAAAA

It's time mah boi :flabbynsick:

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I only really watch Track and Basketball anyway those will always be dope.

I think sports in general are just less important unless its YOUR team. Hell I used to like watching the Xgames as a kid and i wasn't picking up a skateboard :laugh:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I'm locking in and excited. I watch even the stoopid shyt that I don't know what it is. You lost your competitive spirit if u don't feel this shyt OP; hate 2 c it :francis:

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Take into consideration that TV ain't what it once was. In The 80s the whole country was watching regular TV. By the 90s almost everyone had cable. In 2024 regular TV is still a thing but with smartphones and all the stream sites, regular TV is not the great unifier of the country like it once was.

Exactly, 20 years ago everyone wasn’t glued on their phones all looking at different shyt

mykey

Superstar
Daps
Last good Olympics we Beijing. Nothing has topped those opening ceremonies

The next great Olympics will be in Africa. It'll be a showcase to the world that that nation is ready
Really?

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Daps
Yes, a country in Africa will host the Olympics and it'll be a showcase for itself and the continent. Kind of like the World Cup in South Africa. Or did you think you were doing something by assuming I didn't know what I'm talking about

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympics are GOATed :banderas:

Phelps and Lockte, Gabby Douglas, USA basketball running shyt. Jamaicans crushing everyone at track.
That shyt was fire every night :damn:
Usain Bolt in ‘08 was fukking legendary, man. His events would shut the whole 24 Hour Fitness down for those few seconds and have everyone :ohlawd::banderas::damn:…random white dudes talmbout, “Dude, he’s fukking jogging out there!!”