Is it just me, or did the Olympics actually mean something when we were younger?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
when I was a kid, I definitely watched a shytload of olympic coverage compared to now. but that was a different era when there was really nothing on tv during the summer in the day time when I was on summer vacation. plus I didn't have cable back then either.

between work and more options on tv, I'll watch some of the coverage, but certainly won't binge out like when I was a youngsta.

Daps
I still enjoy it, but generally, we’re all just getting older and don’t have that connection with the previous era stars. My favorite Olympic years were 04-16. Plus currently, the way social media is, you’re extremely accessible to everybody and there’s no mystique for folks (and that’s not just the Olympics, it’s all media types).
Came in to pretty much say this.

Also, with getting older you don't look up to athletes anymore. They're extremely talented "kids" and sports are fun to watch, but they're not really people you idolize.

Same with music to a degree, I met a woman who was at Woodstock and was like: "Wow, you saw Jimi Hendrix!?!?" :ohhh: and she was like: "Yeah, but nobody cared to that degree back then"

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
You’re getting older. Sounds like you grew up in the same era as me where we didn’t have a lot of tv so we kinda had to watch the Olympics. Olympians were on the “what do you want to be when you grow up?” List back in the day. I don’t know anybody who cares about Olympians like that anymore outside of Biles and like Shacarri or something. They def seemed larger than life back in the day, especially with us not seeing them but years at a time.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
It was something to watch pre streaming and when your parents got you like 1 game a year.

Now I would rather just stream a movie or a show or play a game rather than watch some roid head throw around a metal ball.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
No the Olympics were def more meaningful in the 80s and 90s. But now with the advent of streaming and YouTube etc. We are basically a soundbite/highlight culture.

folasade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We're older and we have more things to do outside of watching it. At point I was determined to watch as much as I could when I was a kid. Now, I don't have cable or Peacock, so there's no reason for me to care.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Maybe you just grew up and learned what countries are capable of, and the various athlete scandals didn't help :manny:

Like most judges would give this thread topic a 9+...the East German judges would hit you with a 6 :francis:
Or it would get announced later this afternoon than OP was posting using banned substances, and all faith would be lost :pachaha:

Krs2

Pro
Daps
Nah when ur younger you just thought they were more important than they are and now that you flabbyandsick you realize they aint shyt...

You realize alot of things you thought were a big deal really werent as you get old :yeshrug:
This literally too

One time I went back to my elementary school and I was shocked at how small everything was lol. In my memories the place was huge

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
It may be an American thing, but in other countries....it's a still very big deal to represent your country on a global stage....we're probably the only place in the world where bringing home a bronze is considered a failure.

While very country has it's problems, America is one of the few places where there is no real stigma with actively not having a sense of national pride.

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
No its def a bit outdated in the current sports media landscape

A lot of it too is them just manufacturing human interest stories to make ppl care about sports they don't actually like or understand