is it fair to say PC's will hold back next-gen consoles?

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
I grabbed this from Reddit's pc gaming sub .

Absolutely. People keep trying to make the argument that only the CPU and GPU matter for how a game looks, mostly the GPU, which is broadly correct. But this is based only on what they know of games developed for slow hard drives. An extremely fast SSD that can push multiple gigabytes of data straight to Vram instantly, means high resolution and varied unique textures and assets can be streamed in instantly. It should eliminate asset pop-in, it should eliminate obvious Level of Detail switches. It should eliminate a lot of 'tiling' of textures. It should eliminate a developers need to design worlds in such a way that lots of data isn't called into memory all at once.

Being able to move that much data in and out of Vram on demand, is absolutely no joke for how much it could improve visuals. Yes, the GPU and CPU still matter a lot, for how a game looks, especially for rendering geometry, lighting, resolution and pushing frames, but the SSD is now going to be a more major player in the department of visual quality (among other things).

Disclosure, I own a gaming PC and a PS4 (which hasn't been used in years), but I have no real bias for or against either PS5 or Series X, Sony or Microsoft. Both of the Consoles being as potentially powerful as they are, is fantastic news for literally every gamer. And Sony and Microsoft leveraging SSDs as a core and standard component of their system, will bring great advancements and benefits to games which have never before been possible.

Edit: Like even Star citizen is already a game that requires a ssd as a minimum requirement,so i imagine in 2-3 years that will be the case for PC as well.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D

Absolutely. People keep trying to make the argument that only the CPU and GPU matter for how a game looks, mostly the GPU, which is broadly correct. But this is based only on what they know of games developed for slow hard drives. An extremely fast SSD that can push multiple gigabytes of data straight to Vram instantly, means high resolution and varied unique textures and assets can be streamed in instantly. It should eliminate asset pop-in, it should eliminate obvious Level of Detail switches. It should eliminate a lot of 'tiling' of textures. It should eliminate a developers need to design worlds in such a way that lots of data isn't called into memory all at once.

Being able to move that much data in and out of Vram on demand, is absolutely no joke for how much it could improve visuals. Yes, the GPU and CPU still matter a lot, for how a game looks, especially for rendering geometry, lighting, resolution and pushing frames, but the SSD is now going to be a more major player in the department of visual quality (among other things).

Disclosure, I own a gaming PC and a PS4 (which hasn't been used in years), but I have no real bias for or against either PS5 or Series X, Sony or Microsoft. Both of the Consoles being as potentially powerful as they are, is fantastic news for literally every gamer. And Sony and Microsoft leveraging SSDs as a core and standard component of their system, will bring great advancements and benefits to games which have never before been possible.

Edit: Like even Star citizen is already a game that requires a ssd as a minimum requirement,so i imagine in 2-3 years that will be the case for PC as well.
I need to see stats on pc gamers who aren’t using SSDs. I bought my first ssd in 2011 for under $150. Them shyts gotta be baseline by now

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
I need to see stats on pc gamers who aren’t using SSDs. I bought my first ssd in 2011 for under $150. Them shyts gotta be baseline by now
Steam survey doesnt mention what kind of storage its users have for some reason. Plus i believe many gamers use the SSD for the OS to boot up the computer quick and a HDD to store their games or a mix of both. SSD right now dont really give any major advantage due to games not being design around them.

Edit: Plus having an SSD is not only enough if the bottlenecks are still there.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Consoles are usually snapshots in time. PC is forever moving forward.
No. Stop trying to give PC an L. It has never worked. This will end up just like the Brady falling off thread.
PC's will always be superior to consoles, even in the hereafter.
Im not saying that PC will not catch up , but at the moment there aint something similar to next-gen SSD I/O in the market. Yall should read this article .
The PS5’s SSD could spell doom for next-gen PC game ports

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Are you comparing a sata ssd and a m2 or nvme ssd that you put right on the motherboard?

Both the Sata SSD and a NVME SSD still have to go through bottlenecks. m2 is just a form factor.

The dream goal would be if pc games had NVME SSD as a mininum requirement since its faster than SATA.
I believe SATA 3 already has a limit of 600 mb as output, but when i talk about bottlenecks is things such as :
Decompression
Coherency
Mapping
File I/O

PC ssd's still have those bottlenecks , thats why you might have an SSD thats like 100x faster than a HDD
but by the time it reaches Ram , that speed will be reduced due to those bottlenecks i mentioned.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I aint talking about the SSD's , im talking specificically about the I/O architecture in the PS5 which is not currently in the PC market, even the guy in the video mentions it and im sure he knows more than all of you combined.
A pc's SSD still have all kind of bottlenecks that the PS5 was able to bypass. Like do you think the revolutionary part of the ps5 is the SSD? did you even watch the video? :stopitslime:

And up until now , Consoles have always mandated the baseline when it came to specs . Game developers never had to enforce a SSD requirement due to consoles not having one.
and do you think the majority of PC gamers have an SSD?
I haven't looked into it very closely nor followed all PS5 news but Linus obviously knows his shyt. But you are making a lot of assumptions based on the hype around the new PS5 architecture.

1) Is the new architecture so much different or better that game developers will have to change how they make games? (also then how will that affect Xbox?)

2) Won't the SSD become outdated just like everything else usually does through console lifecycle?

3) If game development won't be changed much wont the PC be able to overcome the bottlenecks through brute power? Or won't even need to fukk with going through SSD because GPU and CPU will be better than on consoles. PCs are not handicapped by a mandatory 7 year console life cycle.

Like @itsyoung!! said 3080 is just around the corner. AMD XT CPU refresh is coming out in few weeks and Zen 3 is coming out in Q4. That's all before PS5 even comes out :manny:

PC life has never been about least common denominator, if you're an average gamer you're getting left behind :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Don’t matter how fast the drive can stream stuff in, the GPU can only draw as much as it can draw and the CPU can only compute as much as it can compute.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
I haven't looked into it very closely nor followed all PS5 news but Linus obviously knows his shyt. But you are making a lot of assumptions based on the hype around the new PS5 architecture.

1) Is the new architecture so much different or better that game developers will have to change how they make games? (also then how will that affect Xbox?)

2) Won't the SSD become outdated just like everything else usually does through console lifecycle?

3) If game development won't be changed much wont the PC be able to overcome the bottlenecks through brute power? Or won't even need to fukk with going through SSD because GPU and CPU will be better than on consoles. PCs are not handicapped by a mandatory 7 year console life cycle.

Like @itsyoung!! said 3080 is just around the corner. AMD XT CPU refresh is coming out in few weeks and Zen 3 is coming out in Q4. That's all before PS5 even comes out :manny:

PC life has never been about least common denominator, if you're an average gamer you're getting left behind :manny:

1. Yes having an SSD as baseline does change game design (Cerny spoke about this) , things such like mass effect long elevator ride or having to squeeze through narrow wall should be a thing of the past, unless the developer
chooses to do this.
2. Yeah , i imagine in 2023/2024 ssd should surpass what the ps5 has but it wont matter unless the pc market in mass adopts it. Game developers always cater to the lowest denominator.
3. Yeah , they can either do it throught brute power or all major pc companies can make a new common standard . GPU/CPU does play a major role in gaming , but so will SSD moving foward.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
1. Yes having an SSD as baseline does change game design (Cerny spoke about this) , things such like mass effect long elevator ride or having to squeeze through narrow wall should be a thing of the past, unless the developer
chooses to do this.
2. Yeah , i imagine in 2023/2024 ssd should surpass what the ps5 has but it wont matter unless the pc market in mass adopts it. Game developers always cater to the lowest denominator.
3. Yeah , they can either do it throught brute power or all major pc companies can make a new common standard . GPU/CPU does play a major role in gaming , but so will SSD moving foward.

why would pc developers that make billions more than the top console developer companies want to stoop down to their level to design games :mindblown:

hustling backwards for PC developers

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
and what size of the pc players actually have those parts in their computer? Like if a game developer made a game where those parts were the minumun requirement . ..they would go bankrupt.
i aint talking about super high end gaming pc which games are never targeted to ...im talking about the average gamer who still runs pc parts from 3-4 years ago.
Like the gtx 1060 which is the most common video card on steam came out in 2016.

Like i have a rtx 2080 super on my computer and the only thing i get from it is higher FPS/Resolution.
Thats all your 2080 super gave you over a 1060?

it didnt give you ray tracing That the 1060 cant do?
It didnt give you VR that the 1060 cant do?

what about 4k 60 fps, which we havnt seen from the ps5 yet? The Ps5 Unreal 5 demo, which utilized the SSD your championing in here was 1440p 30 fps

Ok though :skip:

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
chooses to do this.
If it's major change to game design then it will only be for PS5 exclusives because developers won't throw Xbox in the bushes.

I'm talking about SSD being outdated compared to CPU/GPU coming out for PCs.

But lets wait for PS5 to come out first :mjgrin: