in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Nah my problem wit the AnDRE shyt is a different issue all together. I don't like how they try to act like Big Boi was Havoc to Andre's Prodigy. And it was never like that. In fact Big Boi was the one getting all the features and placements in the 90s and early 00s. People ain't start overrating AnDRE until he actually stopped rapping. And they be tryna put him in top 10 and top 5 conversations and he barely has any solo hip hop songs let alone an album.

well its the same issue cuz outkast gets overrated in hindsight right along with andre. how do you go from a 2nd-tier group in your era(which mind you, was NOT the best era for groups) to suddenly being referred to as a top 5 rap group, and some people tryna downright refer to them as the goats? now that I spelled it all out in plain letters, if anybody has a problem with me saying that, then I cant take yall seriously. and my argument with ole boy started when he tried to claim that outkast & tribe were "dominant". nobody says chit to him, but when I object and state the obvious, its suddenly a problem.

big boi was always the complimentary emcee. he got more placement than andre, because andre prolly turned those placements down, so that he could build himself into a mythical top 10 rapper, and it worked.

andre a fraud and I'm not saying hes WAY BETTER than big boi, but I never thought prodigy was WAY BETTER than havoc either.

Fam I was mainly focused on the Tribe part which is why I replied to the dude he was talkin to. And as far as the Kid N Play shyt. I disagree with u. Cause honestly. Them nikkas music changed in the early 90s from the 80s and as a matter of fact @Art Barr articulated it as well as anyone could when it came to them. Them nikkas got on that "Funhouse" shyt and started making cartoons n shyt. They was obviously aiming their shyt towards the youth. Their whole brand became youth based until House Party 3. I'm not even shytting on Kid N Play cause I have more respect for them than alotta people do. But come on fam. Them nikkas was 28 making high school movies n shyt. Lol. Their whole brand revolved around the youth in the early 90s when they were way older than alotta rappers out at the time.

but hip-hop itself revolved around the youth.

also, grown adults play the role of teenagers everyday in Hollywood. and lets not act like house party was a kiddie flick.
and whats wrong with them having a cartoon?

and yea, while their music became too commercial, they still had adults jamming.:yeshrug:

:mjpls:

Wu and Mobb Deep always had a large white fan base from what I've witnessed:manny:

THIS

and wutang didn't do crazy numbers either outside of certain releases.

people seem to think that the only rappers with white fans are the ones moving a trillion units.

Last edited:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
I know a dude that worked in the music business, said Jay-z came to ATL in 95 with that "reasonable doubt" vibe at a show, the crowd was NOT feeling it, he said jay told them "y'all not ready for this yet but y'all will be" :whoo:

And people forget that NWA almost got booed off the Apollo Theater stage.

Had it been Amateur Night, Sandman would've had to come get them.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I"m not an outkast fanatic. Maybe you have me mixed up with some other guy.

What I was saying is that a lot of legendary aritsts in Hip-Hop have benefited from catalog sales, which has skewed what we view as successful today. That is a fact.

Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" did not sale 5 million in it's initial run. "Doggystyle" did, but most of the records we think of as being sales juggernauts like "Ready To Die", "Me Against The World" "Straight Outta Compton", etc. . . were not huge seller s in their initial run. They went platinum, but back then only Snoop Doggy Dog reached that realm of 5 million like Hammer & Vanilla Ice intheir inital run

2pac & Biggie didn't get there until they died. Jay-Z has never gotten there

Outkast was perennially platinum rap group, which other than The Beastie Boys had never been done at that point. When Outkast was selling platinum in the first run of their release. That was a big deal at the time. Going platinum used to mean something.

They were a lot more successful than A Tribe Called Quest

The Beastie Boys did not "go rock" "Check Your Head" "Ill Communication" & "Hello Nasty" are mostly rap albums. Just because they did "Sabotage" doesn't mean they were making straight rock records.

Dude, the title of the thread is literally "in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play":dwillhuh:

:mindblown:

WTF is the deal with yall?
youre still tryna argue with me about some chit that I never said.

youre going on and on about these albums and their catalog sales. I'm not even having this conversation.
and again, I know how much these albums sold in real-time as opposed to catalog sales. youre not telling me anything

outkast went platinum under the laface/arista machine. the biggest machine in black music, and the industry/media was backing them HARD. that chit was not some incredible feat. in fact, they shouldve sold more. you up here acting like they were some semi-underground act or something. and there were plenty of rappers selling better at the time. even the albums you mentioned in your worthless catalog rant, sold more in real-time.

I'm not the person that mentioned a tribe called quest. you should argue with @kingofnyc about that.

black people weren't listening to the beasties after "licensed to ill". they were selling to rock fans.

:francis:
believe me, i meant they made teenage music NOT THEM BEING TEENAGERS
im damn near the oldest nikka on here & i knew back then they was damn near 10 years older then me
cause they were dancing for salt n pepa in da 80's

:snoop:
house party came out when i just started high school & ironically the movie was about 2 high school TEENAGERS trying to throw a party while (play's) parents were out of town

breh
you replied to my post in which my OP was a reply to the poster consigning kid statement of street/thugs/calling women bytches nonsense

i used 3 examples that disprove kid statement
the fugees, outkast & tribe - you replied on some
'i can name plenty of acts that were more successful during that era'..... which you never did (besides anybody on bad boy / death row or jay z) name these plenty of hip hop acts that was more successful during da whole entire 90's

with that said - you left out fugees (
probably cause your fan of them)
yet went in on kast & tribe (
probably cause your not a fan of them)
-with this nonsense of kast only getting big unitl dre started dressing like a drag queen
-with this nonsense of tribe having this different look from the early 90's to the mid 90's & you believing them to be on some gay shyt

why are you doing this? youre digging a hole for no reason.
they could've been teenagers dancing for salt n pepa. I mean, u do know that most of the stars of that era were in fact, teenagers right?
the fact that youre using that as your explanation, does nothing but expose you. most people didn't know they were older than run dmc & them. so why are you fronting like you knew their whole bio?

I replied to your wording, with you saying that outkast & tribe were amongst the most dominant acts in the '90s, when its clearly not the truth.
yes, you mentioned the fugees too, and I left them out of my reply because they actually were dominant. and no, I'm not a fan of them AT ALL. you dudes are the biased posters. not me. I give respect when its due, and call a spade a spade when need be.

I didn't say outkast only got big at that point. I'm saying they didn't start putting up blockbuster numbers until then, and that's not the '90s. they were big in the '90s but they weren't huge.

tribe did have a different look in the early '90s, as opposed to the mid-90s. FACTS. and that had nothing to do with me thinking they were gay when they first came out. it was moreso about the mannerisms and the suss chit. and mind you, these were my thoughts DURING THAT TIME PERIOD when I was a kid. there shouldn't have even been an argument after I said that. lol.

:snoop::snoop::snoop:

they dap me cause they both have the sense enough to understand i meant records (which includes everything they was part of & put out - singles / collaborations / producing / writing etc... )

you taking shyt WAYYYY too serious
why in da hell would i break down their 3 albums with posting the sales of them, then right after pdouble those numbers

I'm not taking anything serious.
I mean, obviously, theres like 24 hours between my responses to you, so obviously this isn't much of a priority on my list.

I'm just not the one for you to get over on. go find another sucka.

why would you double their sales right after posting them? I don't know. you should look in the mirror and ask yourself that. the transcript is there clear as day.

and even, if you were truly counting their singles sales, that's still not enough for you to jump from 5 to 10 mil, seeing that their '90s singles in general, weren't big like that.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
To say Mobb Deep had no white fans at all is a generalization that is easily disproved. Eminem, white, had Mobb Deep songs on a soundtrack (basically the soundtrack to his life circa '95). A more accurate statement is that they didn't have any crossover Pop fans. Their white fans were probably more so Hip Hop fans than they were of any other music.

:gucci:

Breh, my first sentence said I'm white.

So obviously I didn't mean they had no white fans. And I clarified I meant the area I lived in.

Fred.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
And people forget that NWA almost got booed off the Apollo Theater stage.

Had it been Amateur Night, Sandman would've had to come get them.

i don't recall that, but I do remember being a kid and saying that Eazy E couldn't rap

dudes use to think I was stupid for saying that, then the movie AND "the defiant ones" comes out and says the same thing

some cats i grew up with owe me an apology :usure:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
why are you doing this? youre digging a hole for no reason.
they could've been teenagers dancing for salt n pepa. I mean, u do know that most of the stars of that era were in fact, teenagers right?
the fact that youre using that as your explanation, does nothing but expose you. most people didn't know they were older than run dmc & them. so why are you fronting like you knew their whole bio?

I replied to your wording, with you saying that outkast & tribe were amongst the most dominant acts in the '90s, when its clearly not the truth.
yes, you mentioned the fugees too, and I left them out of my reply because they actually were dominant. and no, I'm not a fan of them AT ALL. you dudes are the biased posters. not me. I give respect when its due, and call a spade a spade when need be.

I didn't say outkast only got big at that point. I'm saying they didn't start putting up blockbuster numbers until then, and that's not the '90s. they were big in the '90s but they weren't huge.

tribe did have a different look in the early '90s, as opposed to the mid-90s. FACTS. and that had nothing to do with me thinking they were gay when they first came out. it was moreso about the mannerisms and the suss chit. and mind you, these were my thoughts DURING THAT TIME PERIOD when I was a kid. there shouldn't have even been an argument after I said that. lol.

da hell the could be teenager dancers for salt n pepa in da mid 80's
and
be teenage rappers in the early 90's
:mjlol:
the only person being expose is you
da hell you gonna post kid n play were older then run dmc
kid n play were born in the late 60's
run dmc were born in the early 60's

-----

i dont remember using dominate acts of the 90's i recall saying one of the most successful acts of the 90's

------

kast became much more commerical in the 00's but the 90's is by far their best work & having back 2 back albums that went 2x plat and got 4.5mics , 5mics classic in the source - should tell you all you need to know

-----

you still on this tribe changing their look to fit in non sense (as i posted that afrocentric shyt they rock was done for a quick second early do to their alliances with native tongue & Zulu nation)

1990 video
tumblr_myq6bcR2E31sbln4ho1_400.gif

1993 video
qsxj85.gif

1998 video
giphy.gif

hold this L :sas2::sas2:

I'm not taking anything serious.
I mean, obviously, theres like 24 hours between my responses to you, so obviously this isn't much of a priority on my list.

I'm just not the one for you to get over on. go find another sucka.

why would you double their sales right after posting them? I don't know. you should look in the mirror and ask yourself that. the transcript is there clear as day.

and even, if you were truly counting their singles sales, that's still not enough for you to jump from 5 to 10 mil, seeing that their '90s singles in general, weren't big like that.

again, i already explained this

i 1st posted their 90's album sales which exceeds over 5 million sold

thereafter posted they roughly sold 10 million in da 90's ((( i meant records in total )))
singles released which results in about 2 million
being part of the dungeon family which included sleepy Brown, cool breeze, goodie mob and other various collaborations that they did which result into several selling million

totaling roughly 10 million

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
da hell the could be teenager dancers for salt n pepa in da mid 80's
and
be teenage rappers in the early 90's
:mjlol:
the only person being expose is you
da hell you gonna post kid n play were older then run dmc
kid n play were born in the late 60's
run dmc were born in the early 60's

-----

i dont remember using dominate acts of the 90's i recall saying one of the most successful acts of the 90's

------

kast became much more commerical in the 00's but the 90's is by far their best work & having back 2 back albums that went 2x plat and got 4.5mics , 5mics classic in the source - should tell you all you need to know

-----

you still on this tribe changing their look to fit in non sense (as i posted that afrocentric shyt they rock was done for a quick second early do to their alliances with native tongue & Zulu nation)

1990 video
tumblr_myq6bcR2E31sbln4ho1_400.gif

1993 video
qsxj85.gif

1998 video
giphy.gif

hold this L :sas2::sas2:

again, i already explained this

i 1st posted their 90's album sales which exceeds over 5 million sold

thereafter posted they roughly sold 10 million in da 90's ((( i meant records in total )))
singles released which results in about 2 million
being part of the dungeon family which included sleepy Brown, cool breeze, goodie mob and other various collaborations that they did which result into several selling million

totaling roughly 10 million
Kid n Play were born in the early 60s. Play was born in 62 bro. Them nikkas was older than damn near all their peers. They acted younger and targeted a younger crowd.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Kid n Play were born in the early 60s. Play was born in 62 bro. Them nikkas was older than damn near all their peers. They acted younger and targeted a younger crowd.

:ohhh:i should have google before posting :russ:

@Wacky D :salute:

i still knew they wasnt teenage rappers when house party came out, BUT i had no idea they was that damn old......
anywayz
I'm man enough to admit a mistake - so i'll take that L

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
:ohhh:i should have google before posting :russ:

@Wacky D :salute:

i still knew they wasnt teenage rappers when house party came out, BUT i had no idea they was that damn old......
anywayz
I'm man enough to admit a mistake - so i'll take that L
Yea my nikka. nikkas was 28 playing as high school kids in House Party. Lol. Then did it again at 30 with Class Act.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
:merchant:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps

outkast went platinum under the laface/arista machine. the biggest machine in black music, and the industry/media was backing them HARD. that chit was not some incredible feat. in fact, they shouldve sold more. you up here acting like they were some semi-underground act or something. and there were plenty of rappers selling better at the time. even the albums you mentioned in your worthless catalog rant, sold more in real-time.

I'm not the person that mentioned a tribe called quest. you should argue with @kingofnyc about that.

False. Name some rappers who were selling more or as much on Arista/LaFace? They were an R&B/pop label pushing TLC.

The bottom line is, they were rappers from The South, when being from the south wasn't that poppin'. That's why they got booed at The Source Awards. Nobody had respect for that part of the country. There was virtually nobody from the south going double platinum like that who weren't Kriss Kross or something

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
False. Name some rappers who were selling more or as much on Arista/LaFace? They were an R&B/pop label pushing TLC.

The bottom line is, they were rappers from The South, when being from the south wasn't that poppin'. That's why they got booed at The Source Awards. Nobody had respect for that part of the country. There was virtually nobody from the south going double platinum like that who weren't Kriss Kross or something

Definitely agree with the first point.

In regard to The South, outside of Kast, Master P was the only other rapper at the time doing those numbers or better. There's TRU, but the only album they had that did numbers like that is TRU 2 Da Game, which counted double. So really Master P was the only one at the time going 3X platinum until Juve did it in '99. That's if we're talking '94-'99.In terms of respect, that's where it's not as clear.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

bad boy was arista.:whistle:

you talk about TLC like its a bad thing. i mean, you do realize that outkast has been geared towards r&b/pop consumers since DAY ONE, right? how do you think they were able to go plat & double plat consistently in the '90s, without making a great impact?

outkast didn't get booed at the source awards just because they were from the south. they got booed mainly because a lot of people felt that their group was bullchit. I keep tryna tell yall, they were partly in that r&b-ish arrested development/pm dawn lane. but yall don't want to face facts. yall want to pretend that they were wutang or some sort of underground rap heroes that went platinum against the odds.:laugh:

sales don't equate to respect. and there were plenty of southern acts going plat or multi-plat before or during outkast. and a lot of them were from Atlanta.

geto boys got way more respect than outkast, so I don't know why youre trying to claim nobody got respect down there.

the 69 boyz didn't even get booed at the source awards and they were dry-humping the stage & poppin their asses for like 5 minutes. but let yall tell it, outkast only got booed cuz theyre from the south. OKAY BOSS.

they didn't exactly act young.

sure they played younger roles in most of their movies, but that's Hollywood.

jazzy jeff & the fresh prince did the same thing.