in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play

Sir Brehsington

Mr. Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsidential Housing
In NY, Mobb Deep def had white fans from Infamous on down. They had some of the same fans that listened to Wu-Tang. Go on instgram and you'll see many whites with mobb deep tats lol

Co-sign. As a kid I went to a comic book shop in Westchester NY, and white dude that worked there was banging Hell on Earth thru the whole shop. Loud as fukk. :blessed: shyt blew my mind. Def white Mobb fans in NY and NJ.

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
Thread kinda pointless as many weren't e'en around during that era to speak factually but what they sayin' is str8 bullshyt. But at da same time, they ain't totally incorrect as far as da shift of things back then where it regards content/sound. shyt, I was a jit back then. But there was balance.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
okay, about 10 of you dudes have said kid n play didn't "ADAPT TO THE TIMES"

you all do realize that "THE TIMES" was that street/hard/thug look and sound - that's the point of the thread; you're canceling out your own arguments all up and down this thread.

as others have pointed out, this doesn't mean that you had to rap about CRIME around this time, but you had to come with a harder, grittier look and sound

take THE FUGEES for example; they weren't THUGS promoting negativity, but they came with a harder sound and look than kid n play/kwame did

these are just facts. :manny:

They didn't have to be hard or gritty... matter of fact, some artists played themselves trying to do that thinkin' it was gonna get them over. It didn't work for a number of muhfukkas who tried it. Kid n Play's musical approach was outdated, and they would've looked even sillier tryin' to look/sound tough all of a sudden. But somewhere in the middle of that, they could've still made music that wouldn't have had them branded corny or played out. No denying that times had changed and hip-hop was going in a more street direction, but not every relevant artist during that time was 'hard'.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
They didn't have to be hard or gritty... matter of fact, some artists played themselves trying to do that thinkin' it was gonna get them over. It didn't work for a number of muhfukkas who tried it. Kid n Play's musical approach was outdated, and they would've looked even sillier tryin' to look/sound tough all of a sudden. But somewhere in the middle of that, they could've still made music that wouldn't have had them branded corny or played out. No denying that times had changed and hip-hop was going in a more street direction, but not every relevant artist during that time was 'hard'.
Kid n Play and all artists like them should've looked at Heavy D for reference.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Nope.

Hammer and Vanilla Ice were pop music anomalies. Their one-off mega-successes were no different than Alanis Morissette's ("Jagged Little Pill" sold over 30 million) or Hootie and the Blowfish I"Cracked Rear View" sold 16 million copies).

Charles Koppleman put out Vanilla Ice. He didn't care one bit about any other rappers or movements. He was just trying to make a killing in publishing with SBK.

Hammer didn't want to wind up like Kid, so he puts out "Pumps and a Bump" and even himself joins Death Row:snoop:.

Russell Simmons, Puffy Combs, Jimmy Iovine, Steve Rifkind and Lyor Cohen will all tell you that they weren't in the music business -- they were in the LIFESTYLE business. Rock "N Roll was also a lifestyle business, which is why you could sell music, merchandise, tours, etc.

The reason why we see rappers, as opposed to R&B artists, inducted into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame is because of the perceived "rebellion" relationship between the two genres. "Rebellion" is what sells to the white kids ("No really mom, I'm not listening to black drug dealers on my new iPhone 7").

Wrong.

Hammer's "Let's Get It Started" is also one of the best selling rap albums of all-time AND "Too Legit To Quit" went double platinum.

Even "The Funky Headhunter" went platinum, when people were clowning Hammer.

Hammer sold 50 million records, bruh.

He was not a one off.

You might be able to argue that about Vanilla Ice, but not about Hammer.

:comeon:

lesbianest. youre an outkast fanatic.

so instead of you simply correcting the guy that was wrong, you instead attempt to shift the narrative and argue with me about stuff that I didn't even say.

I didn't say outkast or even tribe weren't successful. I simply said that they weren't among the top-sellers of the decade, like homie was trying to make it seem. he even came back and tried to lie about their sales in the next post. but for some reason, you didn't say anything to him about that either, and chose to argue with me about stuff that didn't even come off my keyboard.

and I never mentioned the chronic. I know how much it sold. I know it wasn't a top-seller of the decade. BUT since you want to bring it up, it still outsold everything outkast dropped in the '90s, and it wasn't even dr dre' highest-selling album. so what are you really talking about?

you even reached for illmatic.:mjlol:

I know about catalog sales homie. and for the record, I also know that theres more to sales than just albums - which you also conveniently skipped over. but I'm not even arguing about the guys that you brought up or anyone in particular. I'm not even trying to argue about this at all. I dropped a quick reply to a one-off post that was tryna push an agenda. that would've been the end of it, if I was talking about 95% of other rappers, but outkast seems to be royalty on this board.

the beastie boys didn't survive anything. they simply went back to rock.

ll cool j is basically the exception.

I'm saying, theres always gonna be pop-rap, jock jams and fluke hits.

I'm talking about the artists actually moving the needle within the genre/culture.

most of those gangsta acts outside of the death row/ruthless tree, may not have been superstars but they still kept steady successful careers going,

I"m not an outkast fanatic. Maybe you have me mixed up with some other guy.

What I was saying is that a lot of legendary aritsts in Hip-Hop have benefited from catalog sales, which has skewed what we view as successful today. That is a fact.

Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" did not sale 5 million in it's initial run. "Doggystyle" did, but most of the records we think of as being sales juggernauts like "Ready To Die", "Me Against The World" "Straight Outta Compton", etc. . . were not huge seller s in their initial run. They went platinum, but back then only Snoop Doggy Dog reached that realm of 5 million like Hammer & Vanilla Ice intheir inital run

2pac & Biggie didn't get there until they died. Jay-Z has never gotten there

Outkast was perennially platinum rap group, which other than The Beastie Boys had never been done at that point. When Outkast was selling platinum in the first run of their release. That was a big deal at the time. Going platinum used to mean something.

They were a lot more successful than A Tribe Called Quest

The Beastie Boys did not "go rock" "Check Your Head" "Ill Communication" & "Hello Nasty" are mostly rap albums. Just because they did "Sabotage" doesn't mean they were making straight rock records.

okay, about 10 of you dudes have said kid n play didn't "ADAPT TO THE TIMES"

you all do realize that "THE TIMES" was that street/hard/thug look and sound - that's the point of the thread; you're canceling out your own arguments all up and down this thread.

as others have pointed out, this doesn't mean that you had to rap about CRIME around this time, but you had to come with a harder, grittier look and sound

take THE FUGEES for example; they weren't THUGS promoting negativity, but they came with a harder sound and look than kid n play/kwame did

these are just facts. :manny:

Dude, the title of the thread is literally "in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play":dwillhuh:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm white....from midtown KCMO, which is (or was, prior to gentrification) mostly black in the 80's and 90's. The schools were literally 99% black back then, to the point that they had to go to court to try and reverse desegregate the schools.

Mobb Deep had no white fans. At all. I mean....if you want to count me, but as I said, I was an outlier. Maybe later they had white fans but their first 2 albums only went gold and the height of their popularity was 1x plat....hardly numbers that would reflect a large white fan base.

Fred.

To say Mobb Deep had no white fans at all is a generalization that is easily disproved. Eminem, white, had Mobb Deep songs on a soundtrack (basically the soundtrack to his life circa '95). A more accurate statement is that they didn't have any crossover Pop fans. Their white fans were probably more so Hip Hop fans than they were of any other music.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN

like what type of music? their entire act was playful and comedic, they would have had to stop making those movies and re-do their entire sound and image AND THEN EXPECT PEOPLE TO ACCEPT IT.

and I already posted what Kwame did to try and "adapt" and it didn't work

ironically in his final music video, he literally KILLS his late 80's persona and rebirths as an all black wearing, harder Kwame

(he explained in that documentary that this was inspired by THE CROW, and the lyrics are a metaphor for hip hop changing up on him)

Dude, the title of the thread is literally "in the early 90's if you weren't street/thug/calling women bytches, you weren't popping -Kid N Play":dwillhuh:

you misinterpreted what I was saying - "THE TIMES" that people are arguing they should have adapted to in order to stay relevant, was that harder and more serious look/sound.

look at the albums that dropped in 1994 (which is considered the best year in hip hop by many)
1994 in hip hop music - Wikipedia

^^^ by this time, that ton loc, young MC, kid n play, kwame playful, synchronized dancing in hip hop era was DONE.

so again, to argue they should've adapted is saying they should have been on some dark, underground grungy digable planets shyt... who would've ran out to buy THAT album from kid n play?

Last edited:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
here are some of the late 80's and early 90's bubble gum/pop/silly rappers that tried to ADAPT to hip hop post 1992 and it just didn't work

what's crazy is these aren't bad records IMO...it's just the general public wasn't buying it, literally or figuratively :manny:

Vanilla Ice - Roll em Up - 1994

Young Mc - What's the Flavor - 1993

Mc Hammer - It's all good - 1993

De La Soul - Breakadawn -1993
(don't look confused, these dudes kept with the crazy bright colors and people smiling and frolicking in their videos prior to this
this is one of my favorite groups of all time and yes i donated to the kickstarter for ATAN)