I'm tired of the lack of respect towards black Americans from Africa/black immigrants

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is this shyt really surprising? You have people from different tribes in Africa who cannot get along. And you have AA's who hate on each other and have a 'crab-in-a-barrel' mentality. And you think they would get along?:childplease:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
I'm an African immigrant myself (Canada but still) and I agree with TS. The 'akata' thing and the desperate attempts to prove they're not African-American is really and truly some house ****** behaviour. Maintaining your identity is fine but why are so many desperate to PROVE they're "better" than AA's :what:?

It all comes from a need to impress WHITE PEOPLE. By publicly disassociating with AA's they come across as "good blacks".

:whoa: "We're not like those blacks, massa. Trust, we actually work hard and take advantage of the countless opportunities you've blessed the coloured race with."

That being said it really does go both ways (I saw so much BS when I lived in Michigan). AA can be unbelievably anti-African. A lot of AA seem to believe we're uncivilized tree climbing animals and think of Africa as a country. And I know for a fact many American blacks consider "African features" ugly and blame all Africans for the slave trade.

We're all black in the end though. No need for this divide and conquer shyt.

White folk really did a number on black folk, real talk.

DeuceZ

Li pitit gason
Daps
Reppin
3rd Rock From the Sun
[ignorant] Black Americans: whats up with these African nikkas mang; thinking they they shyt with they accents and funny clothes :scusthov:

[ignorant] Africans: hey! whats up with these Americans... thinking they better than us with their pants sagging and their baby maddas :scusthov:

self respecting Africans/Black Americans: whats this thread about anyway :manny:

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
Tired if the lack of respect from every other race tbh.

Spartacus89

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Southside Chicago
It's a stereotype that all Africans don't fukk with us. Because if you have something in common with Africans they'll embrace you like family. I'm Muslim of African American descent, so when I meet people from Africa they actually go out their way to befriend me. I've had African people take me places, take me out to eat, buy me things, give me things FOR FREE etc. They hold me down crazy. Some of them look out for me more than some of my own family. I have common culture with them from our religion. Some of yall who have problems with Africans need to sit down with them and hide something yall both can relate to.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've never run into any of this with the African Immigrants & I run into different classes of them. They all been cool with me. :yeshrug:

Yeah they understand there is a difference between regular black people trying their best to maneuver in this racist ass society, and niccas who are satisfied with being on the bottom and dying over the crumbs.

My boy and I are always having this conversation since his people are big on education. He's like "why dont more of yall get degrees?" and Im like "too many saw the repercussion of the civil rights movement. Our grandparents did all that fighting and in the end got nothing from this society. Niccas are more content trying to get it anyway they can than playing fair with whites again"

It's a really deep conversation more of us need to have with Africans because most dont understand how that effects us... they really be on some :ohhh: when I break it down

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a stereotype that all Africans don't fukk with us. Because if you have something in common with Africans they'll embrace you like family. I'm Muslim of African American descent, so when I meet people from Africa they actually go out their way to befriend me. I've had African people take me places, take me out to eat, buy me things, give me things FOR FREE etc. They hold me down crazy. Some of them look out for me more than some of my own family. I have common culture with them from our religion. Some of yall who have problems with Africans need to sit down with them and hide something yall both can relate to.

You know you arent allowed to chill with an African in his house without them feeding you right :ooh:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Is this shyt really surprising? You have people from different tribes in Africa who cannot get along. And you have AA's who hate on each other and have a 'crab-in-a-barrel' mentality. And you think they would get along?:childplease:

For real though, WHY is it that some Black people have this "Blacks are brothers/should get along" attitude? We've seen white people beefing among themselves for CENTURIES, same in Asia, same everywhere really...and same in Africa. But for some mystic panafricanist "Black is beautiful" reason Blacks should be immune to this? AAs need to understand that Africa isn't this big area of brotherly love, just like everywhere in the world there are divisions and tensions, why would it be different between Africans and AAs? I mean don't you guys ever see the tension between white Americans and Europeans? :merchant:

More specifically on the topic, you will always find within groups of migrants a part who will, for whatever reason, feel "better" than the host country. It's often got to do with "morals", "keeping their culture", "knowing where they come from" or whatever. Since most migrations are from the South to the Western world, criticizing AAs (in this case) is really in part criticizing them for living by "Western" values (whether that's true or not). For a lot of Africans, AAs are just Black Americans.

I think that many AAs still believe there is this "link" between them and Africa because of slavery, but Africans are way past that. Plus, class may play a part: I think that a a certain part of migrants actually come from the upper/ruling classes back home (that guy who's working at your local Mcdonalds could very well be royalty back home, or the son of someone in the government) so some fukkers "look down" at EVERYONE who's "under" that status, in the US/Europe or back home. (Not trying to justify it, but to understand the reasons).

I also think there's a "defense" mechanism: they left their country, and that's not easy to cope with. So a part of migrants tend to ideolize their home country and at the same time shyt on the host country EVEN THOUGH THEY LEFT TO GO THERE. In some way it makes no sense, but it also makes perfect sense: they feel bad about having had to leave their country, and take it out on the host (since they can't really take it out on their country). Some might even feel bad about "abandonning" their country and not being there to try to make it better (it's seen as an "easy way out" by compatriots who stayed home). I see it in a lot of Africans in France, Italians in Belgium...I swear i lived one year and a half in Italy and I hardly ever heard Italians say it was the "best country in the world"...but that's what most of them say in Belgium...so I ask, "Why did you leave then" :aicmon:

Family Man

Banned
Daps
So you don't mind when AA don't care about your struggle in Haiti or any other place some blacks came from that was hard to live?.

If you don't care then, I can respect that. If you do care then quit the bullshyt.

I could never understand why foreigners would always talk like you stated, then expect U.S. citizens to feel a certain way about their hardships in their country, or expect you to care, about how good life is over there. That is what I mostly heard. " ______ is so much better then here, I can't wait to go back home" Meanwhile, only a couple that I know of went back. They stayed living here like everyone else.

I think it's just a people thing, because a lot of New yorkers do the same shyt when they move to the south.
I'm not Haitian you fukk boy. I'm just tired of black Americans crying about no body liking or respecting them.

Family Man

Banned
Daps
I'm not sure what it is but for the most part we physically look different. I think when some Jamaicans get offended if you say they look African, I think they are kind of c00nin in a way. LIke when Rockstar mom refused to accept that she was dark skinned.

And Im not sure if most people who commit crimes are Jamacian but most people assume any black person with a non african name is Jamacian. I've been seeing a lot of Somalians on the news. I rarely see west Africans on the news though. I live downtown so most of us black folk stick together.

No body wants to be mistaken for something they are not. Particularly when it comes to nationality.