Im Sorry But the LAST Thing the Black Community Needs Is Yet Another Slave Movie

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thats why i cant waif for Black Panther :wow::blessed:

me and my sister just had this convo today:ehh:

there' s alot of politics and financing issues behind the scenes no doubt bout that

but we really need some black screenwriters and people willing to finance such projects

The next slave movie i see better like some django type action flick with everybody destroying massa'nem :blessed:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I agree

Even though im not mad at an Alex Haley remake, I honestly feel like fukk these slave movies or these "black people are inferior and have to overcome" movies.

And notice how these are the only times black movies are viewed as good movies, winning awards, etc. fukk that shyt

It's important to remember history but thats not all of black history.

I havent watched another slave or servant movie since Django

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
false

we don't wanna see black people getting their ass whooped
with dignity anymore

when has a butler or maid (The Help) been an integral of our history?
I agree but 3 slave movies ain't the problem it's all the butler and ghetto roles. For every slave film there is at least 8 driving miss daisies/ big mommas house.

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
what we do need is more movies like

a soldier's story
eve's bayou

even though these movies get high praise from critics, nikkas continue to sit home and don't attend these type of movies, but let movies like

madea is cooking chittlings and cornbread or
laquita looking for a thug or
kill a nikka if he step in my hood

nikkas be at the theaters 2 days before released

nothing is going to change because nikkas are out for themselves, so you better off just supporting what u like and stay stress free

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I just want to see black people in movies kicking ass and taking names...not being servants/slaves for whites for the 1,432,434,0432,4954th time...
:francis:

No wonder my interest in film and movies dropped to negative levels to the point I just stopped watching them in 2008...a beyond tired narrative that is mentally abusive to the black mind.

BodeineBrazy

hehehehehehehehehe
Daps
Reppin
Philly, Norfside
I randomly had this thought out the blue last week about the psychological affects of constantly seeing ourselves as subservient, docile, and conquered. I was wondering if seeing ourselves in this position REPEATEDLY is healthy for our overall self-esteem and how we feel about ourselves.

Then I heard earlier today that a ROOTS remake is about to air. I looked it up and also came across a slave tv show called Underground. I don't watch much tv so I had no idea about these shows.

Anyways back to the subject. I am in no way saying that we should forget our history, matter fact the key to "change" IS becoming knowledgeable about our past history and learning about the tactics used to intentionally keep the black race as 2nd class citizens. Knowledge is the key.

But with that said, I'm starting to feel that constantly seeing ourselves in an INFERIOR position such as slavery is helping to keep our own self-esteem at a certain level subconsciously.

Many black people think that slavery was our beginning. They have zero knowledge of anything beforehand. We're only seeing ourselves as either being conquered/enslaved or begging for equal/fair treatment. Anyone else getn tired of that shyt??:why:

What this also does is reinforce the whole "white man is superior" concept. Along with those types of movies, the white man also portrays himself as the "ideal" man. Think about it. All the superhero characters are white. Most "successful" characters like doctors, lawyers, ect are white also. All of this combined keeps the white man as the superior race image-wise. Of course they own and dictate the media which means that they control not only their own image but ours also, which led me to thinking WHY does it seem like every year there's yet another movie about black people in chains in an inferior position under the white mans rule. :patrice:

Anybody else feel the same or similar?

negged for being a c00n.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There have been hundreds of world war 2 films and hundreds of Vietnam films as well. How many slavery films are their really, it's not any more than any other historical genre of film. Hell at the very least most of the survivors of the Vietnam war are still alive. Slavery? not so much. I could see point of people saying enough slave films already, but it's so many black people walking around that don't know shyt about slavery, the emancipation or the civil rights movement. To be honest they should be dropping them shyts like mix-tapes.
I agree. You never hear Jews complain about too many Holocaust films. On the contrary, they WANT more movies about their suffering. "Never Forget" is what they say. They want to make sure that nobody forgets what happened to them. But most of all, they want to make sure their children and their grandchildren never forget what their people endured. Because it builds cultural solidarity. It instills identity. It cultivates pride. All these things are severely lacking in African American youth. And it damn sure ain't because they watch too many slavery movies.

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
I agree. You never hear Jews complain about too many Holocaust films. On the contrary, they WANT more movies about their suffering. "Never Forget" is what they say. They want to make sure that nobody forgets what happened to them. But most of all, they want to make sure their children and their grandchildren never forget what their people endured. Because it builds cultural solidarity. It instills identity. It cultivates pride. All these things are severely lacking in African American youth. And it damn sure ain't because they watch too many slavery movies.
they always overcome

they're seen as the victors
and look how the jews turned out
they own the world banks

black people don't own a got damn thing

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I randomly had this thought out the blue last week about the psychological affects of constantly seeing ourselves as subservient, docile, and conquered. I was wondering if seeing ourselves in this position REPEATEDLY is healthy for our overall self-esteem and how we feel about ourselves.

Then I heard earlier today that a ROOTS remake is about to air. I looked it up and also came across a slave tv show called Underground. I don't watch much tv so I had no idea about these shows.

Anyways back to the subject. I am in no way saying that we should forget our history, matter fact the key to "change" IS becoming knowledgeable about our past history and learning about the tactics used to intentionally keep the black race as 2nd class citizens. Knowledge is the key.

But with that said, I'm starting to feel that constantly seeing ourselves in an INFERIOR position such as slavery is helping to keep our own self-esteem at a certain level subconsciously.

Many black people think that slavery was our beginning. They have zero knowledge of anything beforehand. We're only seeing ourselves as either being conquered/enslaved or begging for equal/fair treatment. Anyone else getn tired of that shyt??:why:

What this also does is reinforce the whole "white man is superior" concept. Along with those types of movies, the white man also portrays himself as the "ideal" man. Think about it. All the superhero characters are white. Most "successful" characters like doctors, lawyers, ect are white also. All of this combined keeps the white man as the superior race image-wise. Of course they own and dictate the media which means that they control not only their own image but ours also, which led me to thinking WHY does it seem like every year there's yet another movie about black people in chains in an inferior position under the white mans rule. :patrice:

Anybody else feel the same or similar?
The average African American child (or adult for the matter) doesn't know shyt about slavery, though. They just have a vague concept of what it was. Most black people in America have not studied slavery in depth. So they have no appreciation for what their ancestors went through.