Im Sorry But the LAST Thing the Black Community Needs Is Yet Another Slave Movie

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Man 12 years a slave took YEARS before it got enough money to be produced. Ya'll acting like Hollywood producers are all like OOH Slave movie I smell 500 million in profit. They don't even wanna come up with the money to make them shyts.
You're right :lupe: I stand corrected. We're (black writers and directors) are actually the ones pushing for more of these movies.

Washington Post article said:
Yet all these films — much like “12 Years a Slave” and “The Butler” from last year — have another thing in common: The films struggled to find financing from the biggest movie studios, relying instead on independent producers, black investors and even crowdfunding to get made.

There's just a lot more interesting stories out there that should be shopped.

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
"I randomly had this thought out the blue last week about the psychological affects of constantly seeing ourselves as subservient, docile, and conquered. I was wondering if seeing ourselves in this position REPEATEDLY is healthy for our overall self-esteem and how we feel about ourselves. "

The answer is no.

BlaKcMoney

Hijo Del Ray
Daps
they make movies about black history all the time but they only use white actors. Gladiator, Troy, Braveheart, 300, Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood, Passion of the Christ. All movies based off our history and heroes but taken by the white man

MWinn

Pro
Daps
I randomly had this thought out the blue last week about the psychological affects of constantly seeing ourselves as subservient, docile, and conquered. I was wondering if seeing ourselves in this position REPEATEDLY is healthy for our overall self-esteem and how we feel about ourselves.

Then I heard earlier today that a ROOTS remake is about to air. I looked it up and also came across a slave tv show called Underground. I don't watch much tv so I had no idea about these shows.

Anyways back to the subject. I am in no way saying that we should forget our history, matter fact the key to "change" IS becoming knowledgeable about our past history and learning about the tactics used to intentionally keep the black race as 2nd class citizens. Knowledge is the key.

But with that said, I'm starting to feel that constantly seeing ourselves in an INFERIOR position such as slavery is helping to keep our own self-esteem at a certain level subconsciously.

Many black people think that slavery was our beginning. They have zero knowledge of anything beforehand. We're only seeing ourselves as either being conquered/enslaved or begging for equal/fair treatment. Anyone else getn tired of that shyt??:why:

What this also does is reinforce the whole "white man is superior" concept. Along with those types of movies, the white man also portrays himself as the "ideal" man. Think about it. All the superhero characters are white. Most "successful" characters like doctors, lawyers, ect are white also. All of this combined keeps the white man as the superior race image-wise. Of course they own and dictate the media which means that they control not only their own image but ours also, which led me to thinking WHY does it seem like every year there's yet another movie about black people in chains in an inferior position under the white mans rule. :patrice:

Anybody else feel the same or similar?

I voiced my opinion about this exact thing irl and was told that I sound like stacy dash :stopitslime:
A lot of black people aren't ready to move forward, I guess. Id personally rather watch a story about the first successful black doctors, lawyers, real estate developers ect. We learned enough about slavery throughout grade school, when is it time to learn how to overcome the submissive conditioning and move into power positions?

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
I voiced my opinion about this exact thing irl and was told that I sound like stacy dash :stopitslime:
A lot of black people aren't ready to move forward, I guess. Id personally rather watch a story about the first successful black doctors, lawyers, real estate developers ect. We learned enough about slavery throughout grade school, when is it time to learn how to overcome the submissive conditioning and move into power positions?
really doesn't have to be about the first ones

but we can definitely do some fly shyt about black doctors, lawyers etc

the shyt is out there already we just have to create it

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
I agree with OP

that being said, Jews NEVER let the world forget about the Holocaust
It's to the point where 70 years after the events happened there's still at least ten movies or documentaries being made on the subject every single year

They never allow the world to forget, and I think it's played a large part in their come-up-and it also is a large reason they get so many passes for what they've done and continue to do in Palestine

Daps
Reppin
St louis
*waits for Nat Turner flick*

wat6rr.jpg

UnoVon

Pro
Daps
That Nat Turner film is the only exception imo. But a lot of Black film makers/cac film makers are obsessed with making Slavery movies, it's another way to instill an inferior image on Black people.
Not really, an exception would be the Haitian Revolution, the black Seminoles, the Maroons, the countless successful slave revolts in South America and the Carribean, not Nat Turner a man that got snitched on by some Charles Barkley ass nikkas which ultimately led to his capture and demise.

yardman

Mad movements!
Daps
Reppin
Whitehall
The positives should always outweigh the negatives. I believe our glory should be taught more than our hardship although our downfalls should be taught(how we got into the position were in).The reason being that we've absorbed so many negative thoughts and feelings of other ethnic groups that we internalize it and indirectly morphs into self hate. This is why our history, legacy and progeny should be managed by us. As every group in the world handles their own affairs. Children should be getting their history taught in the home to combat the bullshyt they learn in school. My brother thought Africa never had kings and queens and that we weren't always in this position because the perspective of history taught to black children is always from an angle that you we're always in the weaker position and on the lowest tier on the hierarchy or any hierarchy for that matter. That shyt is a problem.​

Last edited: