Im Sorry But the LAST Thing the Black Community Needs Is Yet Another Slave Movie

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
That's because those are the only 2 outside of bible or foreign slave movies that have been widely released in theaters nationally.
there really hasn't be a lot of theatrical slave movies. TV movies? Shows ? Mini series ? Yes
But ask your local AMC if they've shown any of those.

That's why I laugh people say yet another slave movie.

Think about all the famous former slaves , Harriet Tubman , Frederick Douglass , Nat Turner. George Washington Carver Etc.

Have you ever seen a movie about any of them?

The Birth of a Nation (2016 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This movie is supposed be extememly good.

The show Underground is prety good too. Would love to see them add in more Iconic Black Americans from that time..Think if they invest in more good writers it could be epic.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

Made Myself A Boss

#Trolltruck
Daps
Reppin
dMv/ JA
I randomly had this thought out the blue last week about the psychological affects of constantly seeing ourselves as subservient, docile, and conquered. I was wondering if seeing ourselves in this position REPEATEDLY is healthy for our overall self-esteem and how we feel about ourselves.

Then I heard earlier today that a ROOTS remake is about to air. I looked it up and also came across a slave tv show called Underground. I don't watch much tv so I had no idea about these shows.

Anyways back to the subject. I am in no way saying that we should forget our history, matter fact the key to "change" IS becoming knowledgeable about our past history and learning about the tactics used to intentionally keep the black race as 2nd class citizens. Knowledge is the key.

But with that said, I'm starting to feel that constantly seeing ourselves in an INFERIOR position such as slavery is helping to keep our own self-esteem at a certain level subconsciously.

Many black people think that slavery was our beginning. They have zero knowledge of anything beforehand. We're only seeing ourselves as either being conquered/enslaved or begging for equal/fair treatment. Anyone else getn tired of that shyt??:why:

What this also does is reinforce the whole "white man is superior" concept. Along with those types of movies, the white man also portrays himself as the "ideal" man. Think about it. All the superhero characters are white. Most "successful" characters like doctors, lawyers, ect are white also. All of this combined keeps the white man as the superior race image-wise. Of course they own and dictate the media which means that they control not only their own image but ours also, which led me to thinking WHY does it seem like every year there's yet another movie about black people in chains in an inferior position under the white mans rule. :patrice:

Anybody else feel the same or similar?

Right on Que

Get your popcorn and soda ready for June 24th :popcorn3:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
:mjlol:What was the last black move movie released not about slavery or romance? After Earth with will smith
what does this have to do with ol boys statement? These slave type movies has a psychological affect on black people. Constantly seeing ourselves shackled and in a docile, weak and enslaved manner keeps us in the mindset of being inferior. Many black people think slavery is when black history began. We were kings and queens before slavery. Where are those films?

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
what does this have to do with ol boys statement? These slave type movies has a psychological affect on black people. Constantly seeing ourselves shackled and in a docile, weak and enslaved manner keeps us in the mindset of being inferior. Many black people think slavery is when black history began. We were kings and queens before slavery. Where are those films?
Nothing. I qouted @phonzi not ol boys. In simpler terms, i was asking if you knew if any recent movies have been released showing black people positively and not as the help?