Im Sorry But the LAST Thing the Black Community Needs Is Yet Another Slave Movie

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
nobody is going to give PUA turned civil rights activist Tariq Nasheed the capital to make a film over a few million. It's just not happening with him at the helm . Hell Danny Glover tried to make a film and still cant get funding and he's Danny Glover.
Millions are raised through product launches every day B

Professor Mac

Im African not black
Daps
I randomly had this thought out the blue last week about the psychological affects of constantly seeing ourselves as subservient, docile, and conquered. I was wondering if seeing ourselves in this position REPEATEDLY is healthy for our overall self-esteem and how we feel about ourselves.

Then I heard earlier today that a ROOTS remake is about to air. I looked it up and also came across a slave tv show called Underground. I don't watch much tv so I had no idea about these shows.

Anyways back to the subject. I am in no way saying that we should forget our history, matter fact the key to "change" IS becoming knowledgeable about our past history and learning about the tactics used to intentionally keep the black race as 2nd class citizens. Knowledge is the key.

But with that said, I'm starting to feel that constantly seeing ourselves in an INFERIOR position such as slavery is helping to keep our own self-esteem at a certain level subconsciously.

Many black people think that slavery was our beginning. They have zero knowledge of anything beforehand. We're only seeing ourselves as either being conquered/enslaved or begging for equal/fair treatment. Anyone else getn tired of that shyt??:why:

What this also does is reinforce the whole "white man is superior" concept. Along with those types of movies, the white man also portrays himself as the "ideal" man. Think about it. All the superhero characters are white. Most "successful" characters like doctors, lawyers, ect are white also. All of this combined keeps the white man as the superior race image-wise. Of course they own and dictate the media which means that they control not only their own image but ours also, which led me to thinking WHY does it seem like every year there's yet another movie about black people in chains in an inferior position under the white mans rule. :patrice:

Anybody else feel the same or similar?

Same thing can be said abut black history month..

Its this yearly ""teaching" (as they call it) that really holds black people in this country. They learn from a very early age in a place of learning that they are at a disadvantage and it's okay to underachieve because of the terrible history they have

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Same thing can be said abut black history month..

Its this yearly ""teaching" (as they call it) that really holds black people in this country. They learn from a very early age in a place of learning that they are at a disadvantage and it's okay to underachieve because of the terrible history they have

You got that from black history month?

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hey man on some real shyt I'm drunk but out of all the white cats on the boards this my dude. you might be lame as hell in real life. looking like Duke Da Beast lil brother. but you my homie breh. God gonna throw yo ass underneath hell. but I got you till then.
drunk over here too :jawalrus: god shouldnt have put this firewater here

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
There needs to be a balance. Our history didn't start with slavery but it did and continues to play a role in our history and things that happened during slavery continues to have ill effects on us today. For every slave movie or civil rights movie we need 2-3 movies showing black excellence such as a Mansa Musa movie, Nefertiti, the real Egyptians, etc. A action or drama starring a brother or sister that has little to do with race and more about the story and action.