Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
So you want to live overseas yet want to watch your favorite shows from Back home?

The best thing to get is a Jailbroken Firestick.

If you can't get that the next best thing is an Android TV box.

You could watch TV and movies on the computer but you risk using janky ass websites and installing malware.

Enzo

The Great
Daps
Reppin
DMV
So you want to live overseas yet want to watch your favorite shows from Back home?

The best thing to get is a Jailbroken Firestick.

If you can't get that the next best thing is an Android TV box.

You could watch TV and movies on the computer but you risk using janky ass websites and installing malware.
I would suggest a router with VPN side loaded. I use a NETGEAR nighthawk 7000 and expressvpn. And I watch everything f from Hulu to Disney to live games on YouTube TV.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I would suggest a router with VPN side loaded. I use a NETGEAR nighthawk 7000 and expressvpn. And I watch everything f from Hulu to Disney to live games on YouTube TV.
Good suggestion.

I'm gonna check it out.

Daps
@Wiseborn thank you for answering my question the other day.

I am going to have some feedback for you on that, but I have another question for you too.

A friend sent me this blog from someone who just moved to Barbados, and I would love to get your thoughts on what he says.

Here's the link: First Thoughts On Living In Barbados – Tayo Akin

I'll quote it too:

I’m still in disbelief that we live in Barbados. It’s a test run now to see if we can stay here long term. So, we’re here for the summer seeing how things go. It’s currently only been a few weeks so far so I’m still adjusting to the Bajan life. However, now I will list what I like and do not like so far about living in Barbados thus far. Please keep in mind as I will repeat a few times these are my early thoughts still adjusting to this life in Barbados.

PXL_20230603_202955985-1536x1157.jpg

Let me first list the things I do not like:

I was hoping I could find most of the things I need in walking or biking distance however, this is not the case. Please note this is more of a reflection of where we chose to stay on the island, not the island itself. We’re close by beaches, local food spots, and transportation down the west coast. I have yet to learn how to travel by bus towards the east coast or inland. This means I must use a car which I really did not want to have to use. I do not like to drive personally and there’s no uber or ride sharing platform that has reasonable prices. The only available use for car transportation are taxis and they’re expensive unlike in other islands I have been to. Therefore, I realize now I will need a vehicle still living in Barbados which was one of the things I did not want to have to get.

Speaking of prices, Barbados, is expensive. They import a lot of food, so those products are costly. The local Bajan products are more cost effective, but they do not make a lot of stuff (I prefer), so options are limited. They primarily focus on the local goods that are part of their culture: pumpkins, okra, pepper sauce, parboiled rice, pork, chicken, fish, breadfruit, etc. But being a Nigerian American that loves all types of Caribbean and Asian food and eats vegan primarily during the week it makes me a bit sad to not be able to find basmati/jasmine rice, black beans, West African spices, raw mixed nuts, supplements, etc. as easily or for a reasonable price. Almond milk for example is about $8-10 and 10 oz of unsalted mixed nuts is about $10-12. The limited options of grocery items just make things a bit more difficult because now we must find new things to eat or drink. Kombucha is like my go to drink when not drinking water and it’s literally more than double what it cost in America (so sad). Cases of bottled water would not be a problem if there were spring water options available but nope it’s mainly Dasani (I am so sad for my Bajan family because who the hell drinks Dasani) If supplements were more readily available it would make things easier for my lifestyle routine but they’re also very limited and expensive as well. Expensive wouldn’t be as much of a problem if there were bulk items which could be possible at places like PriceSmart and CostULess, but I have not been there yet so hopefully I’ll be able to write a follow up praising Jesus.

Transportation is not bad except for when you want to go to a fete/cruise that ends after midnight. Buses do not run after midnight, so you must get a taxi. I mentioned earlier there’s zero ride sharing platform apps which is not entirely true. There is PickUp Barbados but it’s just an app that calls you a taxi, so it doesn’t really count to me. You may be thinking it can’t be that expensive for a taxi but a taxi ride home that’s about 20-25 mins cost me $80 BBD which is $40 USD. For $40 USD I would go from the Galleria area in Houston to the George Bush Airport which is a 40-minute drive.

The lack of bike paths is another thing I dislike. I understand this maybe an American/Western thing but for someone that really cares about our planet an island should be doing a lot of things to accommodate the use of alternative transportation methods such as biking, eve biking, transportation with electric vehicles etc. Many people here walk but I seldom see bike riders, which I believe is due to people feeling unsafe on the roads. One of the other black expats talked about how she gave her bike away after a week to a young man because of the drivers and potholes on the road. Your bike will need some tough tires riding in Barbados.

With so many things being imported to Barbados it makes getting somethings very expensive. One of them I believe is the quality of things like a bed. This could be another thing like like the location chosen so please keep that in mind. I was hoping my sleep would be much better, but it has been a struggle. I was sleeping better in Houston almost 7-8hrs on avg but here in Barbados it’s been more like 5-6.5 hrs. I’m hoping things change soon but I strongly believe it’s the bed itself that is the issue.

This brings me to the one thing I really dislike as well: no edibles and weed. It really sucks not being able to get some good weed really edibles for me because I prefer those versus smoking.

A few other things to note. For kids it will cost anywhere from $500-4k per term to send a kid to school. You may only be able to get kids in the private school system primarily because public schools are extremely full. I have not had to gone to a clinic, but it does look full most days. You may need to get private insurance to be seen quicker. Gym memberships are also costly and some of the gyms are a bit outdated. For a gym that is more up to date it can range from $75-100 USD per month.

Now let me get to what I love about Barbados:

There’s nothing like waking up every day and seeing the beach. I mean nothing compares to it. Then add in the sun and wind it’s like the planet is just smiling at you and embracing you. I love being able to just enjoy the weather here. It really feels like the beach rejuvenates my mind body and soul. Listening to the waves crash, breathing in the cleaner air, and watching the sunrise and sunset I just feel so alive in the moments. At nighttime the stars seem so much closer like it’s so dark with stars and everything seems within reach, crazy! There’s a gym on the beach literally 5-10 mins walk that I love to go to, and I work out there at least twice a week. I run on the beach, then hit the tires and do pull ups and more. Working outside in the sun I feel makes me stronger and faster as well as improve my stamina.

PXL_20230606_225313701-1536x1157.jpg

I love being able to walk to the places nearby. I get my 10k steps in so easily. I really do feel like my fitness has improved tremendously just being here for the short time. I walk barefoot a lot more and I didn’t even realize it until the other day how some of my aches have gone away around my foot and ankles. I still do have a bit of back discomfort and knee issues. Hoping I can say in a few more weeks those disappear as well.

I love the fete (party) life I never care to go out in the states unless it’s with family, kickback with friends, or a Caribbean carnival or fete. It’s a waste of money to me to attend anything else. But here I want to go out every weekend as if I’m in undergrad again. People dance most of the night and genuinely enjoy themselves and there’s no shootings (knock on wood) and no stupid fights. I rarely see the whole making Instagram vids and snaps. It’s really just good vibes, good food and good music. It’s really dope to me that I love to go out and party again. I do dislike the lack of weed options though because I do get a bit anxious, and a nice edible would really help. So normally I fall pressure to getting a drink and I haven’t drunk in a long time like almost a year but now I am drinking almost every weekend. Nonetheless it’s more worth it to me to drink here and I keep it from like one to three drinks max. I’m a very cheap date.

What I really fukking love about being here though?! I love being around black people and not having to worry about the police. I talk to the police here and never feel any way about it. Only until afterwards that it hits me like damn, I just talked to an officer. It’s just so peaceful not having to worry about shyt like that. It really feels like home just minus all the expensive stuff. But I will say even though it cost more than I like to live here. There’s just a lot more intangible things that I cannot get in the states here. The only thing I would want is more of my family members and friends here. Besides that, I truly love it here! For me and what I value the cost is worth it!

PXL_20230603_000127741-1536x1157.jpg

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps

I am going to have some feedback for you on that, but I have another question for you too.

A friend sent me this blog from someone who just moved to Barbados, and I would love to get your thoughts on what he says.

I'll quote it too:
I beleive that everything he's saying is facts.

Hamilton in Bardados is one of the most expensive places to live in the world and maybe the most expensive in the carribean.

You will pay more for imports usually that's the only tax that you'll pay.

Also concur about how calming the beach is, I could spend several hours a day just looking at the beach actually being on the beach that never gets old.

That's another thing beaches in the developing world aren't as "developed" as say Miami Beach and there's no lights at most beaches in the carribean so unless they have a fire on the beach you defenitely feel like you can reach up and touch the stars.

If you wanted to convince yourself to travel or live part time in the Carribean just the beaches is enough right there.

Then add it not expecting to immediately get hemmed up by the cops? You understand how it feels to be white cops are nice to you and you feel that you can call the cops and have them serve you.

Quick Story I was in an uber going to Agora Mall in Santo Domingo and the Driver made an illegal turn and was stopped by the cops, as the cop was writing the ticket the driver said Rapido, Rapido granted we were holding up traffic but the cop actually quickly gave the driver the ticket. There was none of that wait while they run your tags shyt and none of that aggression that you get from american cops.

Then being able to go to parties and people getting drunk, high and whatever and no incidents Forget no shooting but no fights. I was at the Alverez Festival ( a major Afro Colombian festival) at least 20K people where there packed to the gills in fact I thought there might be a crush because people were so packed at the enterance plenty of alcohol was served and not one incident. No Fights no nothing, It was wonderful.

tyfireman15

Rookie
Daps
If you're going to Colombia

You have to fill out the right E-Visa on the right site It's free.

I know an old veteran traveler who went to the wrong site and paid

Don't get Got.

This is the correct site

Speaking of which. You have to do the same for DR as well. It’s called an Eticket for them. I was just there this past weekend

tyfireman15

Rookie
Daps
There's the enternal Sosua vs. Boca debates. How was Boca?

Was you in Sosua when tht shooting happened?
Boca was cool. Their vendors are wayyyy more pushy than Sosua which can be annoying. I think female wise the quality was better in Sosua, but then again I only stayed there on a Monday. I was not there when a shooting occurred, but when I was there there was an American who had an heart attack on one of the party boats

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Boca was cool. Their vendors are wayyyy more pushy than Sosua which can be annoying. I think female wise the quality was better in Sosua, but then again I only stayed there on a Monday. I was not there when a shooting occurred, but when I was there there was an American who had an heart attack on one of the party boats
Yep the Boca hustlers are way more pushy but more regular people on Boca's beach.

I heard about a 37 year dude died on the beach. Much closer to a good hospital in Boca.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal

I'll quote it too:
Barbados is fukking dope. I went there on a pleasure trip and everything from the people to the weather was amazing. I personally cant live off the beach as id get tired of all the sun and shyt but i wouldnt be mad if I had to live there.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Barbados is fukking dope. I went there on a pleasure trip and everything from the people to the weather was amazing. I personally cant live off the beach as id get tired of all the sun and shyt but i wouldnt be mad if I had to live there.
The real hack isn’t a beach but rather a busy port. When I stayed in Cartagena.

I stayed in a couple places.

One was beach and it was ok but kind of dull.

But watching the port with all the ships and movement was interesting as f.

Plus I stayed across from a navy base, so they’d be training and you’d see some wild shyt.

Never a dull moment.