I'm a 3x Felon w/ a GED & No Degree but I Make More Than My College Masters Educated Wife

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wonder what benefit packages they both have.

Take home pay isn't the only thing to consider.

It really aint for our generation. To me a gig with a pension is worth more than that gig with 401k. Unless thay pay is much higher with the 401k.

shyt my aunt just retired from the chicago board of education. They are one of the most powerful unions in america. She gonna get 90k a year off her pension until she kicks the bucket. You can't beat a benefit like that and she aint but 63.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Refinaries pay like $20 plus an hr.

Some factories start at like $17. Then you get double time for sundays, triple time for holidays. shyt like that. You can make money with no degree.

merchandisers for pepsi/coke etc. start at like 15per plus tax free mileage pay.

Then you got jobs where overtime is anything over ya scheduled daily hrs.

And as far as the actual psychical labor, a lot of that shyt is embelished. A lot of these jobs have tons of down time.

Also jobs with weird ass hrs. usually pay tremendously and have built in overtime without working any additional days.

Salary isn't always the way to go.

True on a lot of this. One company I worked with the operators drove better cars than everyone at the company but upper management (executives, CEO and Directors).

The operators were high skill who dealt with electronics and hardware. They built all types of shyt.

But it was laid back work for them no hard labor. Just sit at a desk and build shyt. Many of the operators had just as much experience as the engineers with the equipmeny if not more.

And all of the operators were highly paid and worked OT. Basically anything over 8 hours a day was time and a half. And sunday was double time and holidays was triple time. One young kat showed me his check stub and dude had made 100k and it was only november (dude was like 22 years old). Not only that the homie drove a new porsha.....:lolbron:.

That shyt common down here in texas. Some of these kats with no degrees make more than folks with multiple degrees and they jobs less stressful.:russ:

Like I said I ain't knocking either one (got my degrees and work as a professional). The shyt all realtive you can skin a cat multiple ways long as you got a plan and trying to get a job in high demand.

I mean yeah a engineer or a accountant is a highly skilled position.

But so is building a harness to go into a jet fighter or being a 777 mechanic or being the person that solders chips on a board that goes into a satelite......why you think these folks make 25 plus an hour plus OT and double/triple time to do that work.

Hardaway

below the heaven
Daps
Master's degrees are arguably the worst degrees to have

a BA or BS is a prerequisite to most white collar jobs so that's always fine

an MD or JD has an associated career path, MBA less so but it's still a good degree to have if it's well-branded (from a top school)

a PhD is usually free (funded)

a typical MA student studies a useless ass subject and pays his/her way through it, and it doesn't add to employability at all

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Refinaries pay like $20 plus an hr.

Some factories start at like $17. Then you get double time for sundays, triple time for holidays. shyt like that. You can make money with no degree.

merchandisers for pepsi/coke etc. start at like 15per plus tax free mileage pay.

Then you got jobs where overtime is anything over ya scheduled daily hrs.

And as far as the actual psychical labor, a lot of that shyt is embelished. A lot of these jobs have tons of down time.

Also jobs with weird ass hrs. usually pay tremendously and have built in overtime without working any additional days.

Salary isn't always the way to go.

I just said that these jobs pay VERY well.....extremely well even

but what are you sacrificing? somebody in here talked about the "mandatory 2 years" to be a train conducter

VICE did a good write up about the shyt...this is not a dream job
The Weird and Isolating Life of a Young Railway Engineer

the job where you are working a 9 to 5 and not risking life and limb or spending a substantial amount of time away from home
and earning 6 figures WITHOUT a degree? that shyt doesn't exit.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
If he is part of a union with OT versus say, a social worker, therapist, or even school teacher, this is certainly believable. Many of the Boomers and Gen X folk are nearing retirement age in a multitude of areas, specifically Blue Collar Work as doing construction for 30,40 years would certainly take a toll on one's body? Would it not? So young cats can get put on as the field needs replacement bodies for expansion and maintenance of America's infrastructure. Practicality is key in this debate.

If your college degree isn't STEM and you have no relevant work experience geared towards the societal needs of America today, then you need to hit up the trades. Otherwise, your Sociology, Communications, and Journalism degree will certainly make you the most educated server at Applebee's.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
It really aint for our generation. To me a gig with a pension is worth more than that gig with 401k. Unless thay pay is much higher with the 401k.

shyt my aunt just retired from the chicago board of education. They are one of the most powerful unions in america. She gonna get 90k a year off her pension until she kicks the bucket. You can't beat a benefit like that and she aint but 63.
That's a state government job so I'm not surprised at the pension. I work for the feds so I get both 401k and a pension.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
StartingSalaryOffersByField.gif

So basically it matters what you degree is in as well.
yup and add in drive... and location

you can have all the degrees in the world... if you take the first job, never try to advance, never try to move companies to get a higher position, never fight for a promotion... then you won't go anywhere regardless

same with location... i can have the highest of degrees... if i'm looking for stock exchange work in some rinky dink town in the backwoods of nebraska, then there's no way i'm competing vs. wall street in new york

and this can all be the same for trade school...

don't matter what you do in school or skip it all together.. if you out here busting your ass, you'll make the money.. if you not, you won't