I'm a 3x Felon w/ a GED & No Degree but I Make More Than My College Masters Educated Wife

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
:dead: is this another "school is useless" post? Yes, you can be successful without school but on average people with degrees make more than people with 3 felonies, a GED and that dropped out of college. :snoop:

The insecurity is obvious. People without degrees always try to make it seem like it's not smart to go to school and that the way they did it is somehow "better".
More like I wish went to college so I can have a diverse of options as far as careers. However, I am stuck.

Dark Knyght

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Depends what you go to school for and the demand for people in that field in the city in which you live. I work retail management and my starting salary was more than that entire list. My brother's a doctor and I make more than him, plus I don't have any student loans although I did get my 4 year degree.

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
:dead: is this another "school is useless" post? Yes, you can be successful without school but on average people with degrees make more than people with 3 felonies, a GED and that dropped out of college. :snoop:

The insecurity is obvious. People without degrees always try to make it seem like it's not smart to go to school and that the way they did it is somehow "better".

I think you're projecting there a little bit ma. Ain't nobody said no where in here that school is useless. One person out of 10 flexes up about making it without school and all the sudden yall bring the extreme edges into the light and act like everybody who never graduated college is trashing the institution of higher learning as a whole. Not True. If you went to school, put the hard work in, and finished, you deserve to be commended in my eyes. To dedicate yourself to a task and to see it thru to completion is not something that I would look lightly upon, in any lane or field.

I 100% respect all my brothers and sisters who do that. But at the same time don't paint me into a box and put words in my mouth because I am one of those dudes in the OP minus the 3 felonies, and I don't walk around throwing it in people's face either. I tell young brehs all the time that you don't want to take my journey, you'd be lucky to get to where I am now alive or with your freedom/sanity in tact. But at the same time the fact that I'm able to give game also shows that it is possible to fukk up, get yourself right, and still make something of your life. I don't need to flex up on them and tell them what I make or shyt on folks who finished college who make less. The simple fact I'm standing in front of them after what I've been thru speaks volumes on that tip by itself. Some things don't always need to be said.

And lets be honest for a second, all college degrees aint made the same. A lot of folks out here going to 3rd and 4th tier schools, coming out with loads of debt and not really seeing a return on their investment. I was a C+ student at best in HS with a discipline folder 3 inches thick, a lower tier college was what was in store for me even if I never fukked up and went left. Wasn't like I was Howard or GaTech bound, so what I make now is actually comparable or maybe even a little more than brehs who went to the types of schools I would've gotten into anyway. So what I'm saying is the same way yall so quick to jump on somebody for doing what yall perceive as shytting on higher education, yall should be just as quick to recognize who college will really benefit and who it wont. Yall so quick to fit these squares into these circles, not realizing that college shyt isnt for everybody. Some of these young brehs would be better served dropping out 9th or 10th grade, getting a GED, then going to trade school or starting their own business. And I think a lot of the college crowd misses that, you get defensive and exert energy defending your own decisions, instead of looking at this on a case by case basis. Just cuz someone made it without doing what you did does not diminish your accomplishments, everybody path in life is different ma.

We talking about our people tho sis, real world shyt. Not no cacs, not no Coli Six cert shyt, I'm talking real world Black people. Talking them young brehs who not lost causes but they not honor roll students either, going to school where the drop out rate is 60% plus and they got beaucoup cops in the hall, but only got 1 guidance counselor for the whole fukking school. Thats how a decent amount of us are living, and IMO brehs like that need to be looking at entrepreneurship and trade school, NOT traditional college. As a Black man I cant pass a good ass job down to my seeds, and looking at my own personal story, good parents and a child who still fukked up, I totally see that I need something concrete enough to where if Jr moon fukks up like I did, he still gonna be straight cuz Ima have something for him to come home to. Them white folks do that shyt all the time, why cant we?

FSP

Banned
Daps
I was going to say the same thing I got two brehs both felons making like 10+ k a month working oil lines. The one who is a welder making like 5k a week. shyt had me :why:

These unions ain't no fukking joke
Nah that oil rig shyt is brutal. Like the worst kind of job.

FSP

Banned
Daps
Unless it's intense labor like roofing, most labor jobs not killing you like that. There's mad down time. You might really work only a few hours out a 10 hour shift.

While the office job I currently work, you go home MENTALLY exhausted.
Wow this is a total lie. Your reality is the complete opposite of mine. Office jobs might leave you mentally exhausted 1 day out of the month, if that. In fact people who get paid more often do way less work. You must have been doing grunt work (which is fine, that's what I do currently).

Whereas labor jobs leave you physically exhausted, and give you back no time and benefits to improve your life with, which is worse imo.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think you're projecting there a little bit ma. Ain't nobody said no where in here that school is useless. One person out of 10 flexes up about making it without school and all the sudden yall bring the extreme edges into the light and act like everybody who never graduated college is trashing the institution of higher learning as a whole. Not True. If you went to school, put the hard work in, and finished, you deserve to be commended in my eyes. To dedicate yourself to a task and to see it thru to completion is not something that I would look lightly upon, in any lane or field.

I 100% respect all my brothers and sisters who do that. But at the same time don't paint me into a box and put words in my mouth because I am one of those dudes in the OP minus the 3 felonies, and I don't walk around throwing it in people's face either. I tell young brehs all the time that you don't want to take my journey, you'd be lucky to get to where I am now alive or with your freedom/sanity in tact. But at the same time the fact that I'm able to give game also shows that it is possible to fukk up, get yourself right, and still make something of your life. I don't need to flex up on them and tell them what I make or shyt on folks who finished college who make less. The simple fact I'm standing in front of them after what I've been thru speaks volumes on that tip by itself. Some things don't always need to be said.

And lets be honest for a second, all college degrees aint made the same. A lot of folks out here going to 3rd and 4th tier schools, coming out with loads of debt and not really seeing a return on their investment. I was a C+ student at best in HS with a discipline folder 3 inches thick, a lower tier college was what was in store for me even if I never fukked up and went left. Wasn't like I was Howard or GaTech bound, so what I make now is actually comparable or maybe even a little more than brehs who went to the types of schools I would've gotten into anyway. So what I'm saying is the same way yall so quick to jump on somebody for doing what yall perceive as shytting on higher education, yall should be just as quick to recognize who college will really benefit and who it wont. Yall so quick to fit these squares into these circles, not realizing that college shyt isnt for everybody. Some of these young brehs would be better served dropping out 9th or 10th grade, getting a GED, then going to trade school or starting their own business. And I think a lot of the college crowd misses that, you get defensive and exert energy defending your own decisions, instead of looking at this on a case by case basis. Just cuz someone made it without doing what you did does not diminish your accomplishments, everybody path in life is different ma.

We talking about our people tho sis, real world shyt. Not no cacs, not no Coli Six cert shyt, I'm talking real world Black people. Talking them young brehs who not lost causes but they not honor roll students either, going to school where the drop out rate is 60% plus and they got beaucoup cops in the hall, but only got 1 guidance counselor for the whole fukking school. Thats how a decent amount of us are living, and IMO brehs like that need to be looking at entrepreneurship and trade school, NOT traditional college. As a Black man I cant pass a good ass job down to my seeds, and looking at my own personal story, good parents and a child who still fukked up, I totally see that I need something concrete enough to where if Jr moon fukks up like I did, he still gonna be straight cuz Ima have something for him to come home to. Them white folks do that shyt all the time, why cant we?

Real spit

FSP

Banned
Daps

This is 100% the truth but I feel like there are political, social and economic reasons that it isn't pushed when you are a kid.

It's funny because for a group of people who consider themselves educated, progressive, there sure are a hell of a lotta people who side eye you when you tell them your education level, regardless of your general intelligence which can be easily inferred with a conversation or two.

"You didn't finish high school :mjpls:

"You mean you don't have a degree :mjpls: "

It's hard to push that agenda when you know you gonna get those kinda looks later on. I feel you on the bolded though 100%. At the same time, in the ideal situation, if you have no direction or little future plans, college is a good way to waste time and figure it out (if you have the money). That's most of these white kids with money. Because if you truly know what you want to do as a teen and are able to execute that plan without employment to sustain you, you're almost as lucky as a lottery winner. College has nothing on a kid with a master plan

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
What do y'all make of this?

I've noticed a trend of black men in relationships going on social media to say their wives multiple degrees earn less than them :lupe:

:lupe:

lol my man working himself to death, probably reaping the benefit of his wife's overall compensation package, and trying to flex. 'If I work 90 hrs a week, I make more than her!' LOL come on, folks. Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong w/ making an honest living, but he's gotta look at the bigger picture. I also think this line of thinking can be somewhat destructive :manny:

FSP

Banned
Daps
lol my man working himself to death, probably reaping the benefit of his wife's overall compensation package, and trying to flex. 'If I work 90 hrs a week, I make more than her!' LOL come on, folks. Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong w/ making an honest living, but he's gotta look at the bigger picture. I also think this line of thinking can be somewhat destructive :manny:
Exactly. A lot of these jobs, you can get by, by selling your soul to the work. They pay this way because it's not a matter of skill but more a matter of no body wants to fukking do this work for a living so we need to offer benefits like this..A driver at UPS or a garbageman with no HS diploma can make 80k (not) easily....when you factor in the overtime and holiday pay. But guess what, now you're giving up your time to LIVE and grow and experience. Your life becomes just working for somebody else and that's the extent of it. You Miss every sports game. Miss your kids growing up. Miss out on family activities and reunions. Miss out on more lucrative opportunities. Miss out on the ability to build yourself through your free time because you're too busy giving it up to your boss. YOU.MISS.OUT.ON.EVERYTHING is what people need to realize. I've worked jobs like that. They're a drain even with the money. Maybe that's why he felt the need to flex. That's probably literally all he can do before it's "back to work, scrub".

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Exactly. A lot of these jobs, you can get by, by selling your soul to the work. They pay this way because it's not a matter of skill but more a matter of no body wants to fukking do this work for a living so we need to offer benefits like this..A driver at UPS or a garbageman with no HS diploma can make 80k (not) easily....when you factor in the overtime and holiday pay. But guess what, now you're giving up your time to LIVE and grow and experience. Your life becomes just working for somebody else and that's the extent of it. You Miss every sports game. Miss your kids growing up. Miss out on family activities and reunions. Miss out on more lucrative opportunities. Miss out on the ability to build yourself through your free time because you're too busy giving it up to your boss. YOU.MISS.OUT.ON.EVERYTHING is what people need to realize. I've worked jobs like that. They're a drain even with the money. Maybe that's why he felt the need to flex. That's probably literally all he can do before it's "back to work, scrub".

My uncle works for UPS; he's getting bread, but his work weeks are shyt from Thanksgiving to MLK day

dterpsss

SOHH OG Class 2004
Daps
Reppin
Home of the terrapins
Median-Income-by-Education-Attained.png

://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/median-weekly-earnings-by-education-gender-race-and-ethnicity-in-2014.htm
A Simple Equation: More Education = More Income

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
List of sole survivors of airline accidents or incidents - Wikipedia
yikes how can you ask for anything less than 90k if you doing a masters

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Unless it's intense labor like roofing, most labor jobs not killing you like that. There's mad down time. You might really work only a few hours out a 10 hour shift.

While the office job I currently work, you go home MENTALLY exhausted.

:rudy: Mentally exhausted? Stop it. There's not one person working in a refinery or hanging off the Golden Gate Bridge changing light bulbs that wouldn't rather be in a cube surfing Facebook.

***EDIT*** i had the wrong quote posted up here for weeks. my bad.

Last edited: