I'm a 3x Felon w/ a GED & No Degree but I Make More Than My College Masters Educated Wife

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So he's in the top 0.5% of high school dropouts in terms of income :yeshrug:
Once his body breaks down from working 60 hours a week and the percocets stop being enough, he'll see an end to that income stream :francis:
His wife is probably in the 90% percentile of American earners if she has a masters in engineering :yeshrug:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
StartingSalaryOffersByField.gif

So basically it matters what you degree is in as well.
This is almost a decade old, the starting salaries have jumped by over $10k since then, even more depending on the area.
And an MS in engineering usually points toward low-six figures income, depending on the company and the area.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I would dap this if I could

A lot of black people drank the "college" koolaid, but most current billionaires who started with nothing before becoming rich either didn't go to college or didn't finish

Most colleges just teach you how to work for someone else. You can be your own boss with a trade skill
This isn't true.
Outside of this not being true, of the billionaires that did drop out of college, nearly all had upper-middle class or wealthy parents, high GPAs, and would have finished college had they not held an opportunity for a large amount of money.

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
Just because she has a masters, doesn't mean she's using it correctly. There are a few people not getting paid what they deserve.

True. A friend of mine has a Masters in social work. She could be making well over 50k+ with a bigger company but she chooses to run a very small group home for like 15 an hour.

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
This isn't true.
Outside of this not being true, of the billionaires that did drop out of college, nearly all had upper-middle class or wealthy parents, high GPAs, and would have finished college had they not held an opportunity for a large amount of money.
Incorrect

You are a perfect example of how the public education system fails the majority of people.

Don't worry, I'll teach you when I get out of the gym

Deoji

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Zone 6 via PG County
salary isn't everything. you young nikkas will find that out very soon. You may have to take a smaller salary to get better experience, you may start out at 60K out the gate...but stay there for 15 years. It all depends on your plan and your execution and your refusal to get comfortable. Most nikkas that say college degrees are worthless either didn't finish college or graduated but couldn't parlay the degree into gainful employment. Should of had a better plan and picked a better field.

:yeshrug:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My uncle works for UPS; he's getting bread, but his work weeks are shyt from Thanksgiving to MLK day

Here is the thing. Folks don't realize even white color jobs are like that depending on the project and time of year. Hell a engineer at Fedex and UPS is humping and working a bunch of OT in December because that is the biggest time of year for those companies.

And like I said folks are not aware that many white color jobs require OT to get the job done. Cause unlike blue color jobs you can't go tell your boss...:yeshrug:sorry I aint got the shyt done cause my shift is over.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also that white color corporate america stress is real. Seen too many kats have heart attacks at the job.

shyt one brotha who is a VP I knew had 2 in one year and another brotha I knew who was a director had 2 in a two year period.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I work in the employment field, meaning when people are unemployed they come and see me. As a result, I'm exposed to a little bit of everyones business.

I have just as many people with degrees looking for work as those who don't. The one downside for those with degrees is that the student loans don't stop.

Skilled trades find work MUCH easier and seldom stress. They have a skill that society needs. Plus there's less stress in the interview process.

Most of my coworkers have degrees...and they make the same as me.

When you get that engineering degree you are competing for very limited positions and you must still deal with racism. Had several brehs with IT degrees and they weren't having luck. Their resume could be impressive but when it comes time for the interview:

:leostare: "Well we're not sure you will be a good fit here." Translated to, "You don't see this office full of cac nerds. We don't hip hop around here".

To work in the professional environment you often have to be that safe negroe.

I applaud education but that's really the problem with a lot of black people. Being educated by cacs is a contract stating you submit to society.
The unemployment rate for people with degrees is far lower than those without degrees. Across the board, in every area.

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
This isn't true.

Forbes 400: The Self-Made Billionaire Entrepreneurs Who Said No To College

9 Billionaires Who Didn't Graduate High School

8 Billionaires Who Never Bothered to Get a College Degree

Lots of billionaires on this list
100 Top Entrepreneurs Who Succeeded Without A College Degree

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
The unemployment rate for people with degrees is far lower than those without degrees. Across the board, in every area.
And the level of debt for people with degrees is much MUCH higher than people without them

In fact, college educated black females are the most in debt demographic in america iirc

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
the paper certificate that comes via education is important. in fact, its downright detrimental if youre not good with manual labor.

with that said, developing a trade is just as important, if not more. all kids, particulary males, should have a skill to fallback on. even if youre not good at working with your hands. theres always something you can tap into.

not having a skill is one of the main routes to disenfranchisement - if that's a word.

I'm not one of those "hard work is the key" type of people. but I plan to make sure my kids have a lane to hustle if need be.