I'm a 3x Felon w/ a GED & No Degree but I Make More Than My College Masters Educated Wife

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
I don't think anyone is pushing people not to go to college.
What people are saying is this notion that going to college is the ONLY way to make it or the BEST way to make it is a lie and people need to open their eyes regarding trades and other avenues than just blindly following the mantra that going to college is going to have you set. It isn't and the majority of people won't be able to go to school with out incurring debt, so acting like getting a free ride is just around the corner isn't realistic either.

Well i personally don't believe college is right for everyone one. However, it's not realistic to believe folks with trade jobs on average will do better than people with degrees. Stats show people with degrees do earn more than people with just HS degrees. Also, most folks are getting a lot of debt but some folks are doing a good job of managing how much debt they take on and the investment is worth it.

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
Yeah I don't get it.

Anyone can understand a trucker worker 50 hours per week is gonna make more than someone that majored in Latin with a minor in finger painting.

But most people responsible for medicine, law, tech, upper management, engineering etc etc all have degrees.

There's nothing wrong with working a trade but discouraging people from going to college is stupid.
Again, most of the people graduating from college are going to work for billionaires who didn't graduate from college

The rockerfellers basically shaped modern medicine. The rockerfeller who made their fortune did not go to college

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Well i personally don't believe college is right for everyone one. However, it's not realistic to believe folks with trade jobs on average will do better than people with degrees. Stats show people with degrees do earn more than people with just HS degrees. Also, most folks are getting a lot of debt but some folks are doing a good job of managing how much debt they take on and the investment is worth it.
Why isn't it realistic, when it is entirely realistic? Trade schools offer less debt, quicker transition to the work force, and greater job security and placement than your average 4 year degree.
Stats are misleading as well, the truth is that 4 year degree earnings vary by major, and when you remove super earners from 4 year degree, the average income evens out.
The Great College Hoax
Like many good cons, this one contains a kernel of truth. Census figures show that college grads earn an average of $57,500 a year, which is 82% more than the $31,600 high school alumni make. Multiply the $25,900 difference by the 40 years the average person works and, sure enough, it comes to a tad over $1 million.

But anybody who has gotten a passing grade in statistics knows what’s wrong with this line of argument. A correlation between B.A.s and incomes is not proof of cause and effect. It may reflect nothing more than the fact that the economy rewards smart people and smart people are likely to go to college. To cite the extreme and obvious example: Bill Gates is rich because he knows how to run a business, not because he matriculated at Harvard. Finishing his degree wouldn’t have increased his income.

All the while students have been lulled into thinking of the extra $1 million that will be theirs, they have been forced to disgorge an ever larger fraction of it in pursuit of the degree. While the premium that college grads earn over high schoolers has remained relatively constant over the past five years, the cost of acquiring a degree has risen at twice the rate of inflation, dramatically undermining any value a sheepskin adds.

Offsetting that million-dollar income discrepancy is the $46,700 four-year cost of tuition, fees, books, room and board at a public school and $99,900 at a private one–even after financial aid, scholarships and grants. Add all this to the equation and college grads don’t pull even with high school grads in lifetime income until age 33 on average, the College Board says. Even that doesn’t include the $125,000 in pay students forgo over four years.

“I call it the million-dollar misunderstanding,” says Mark Schneider, vice president of the American Institutes for Research, of the prevailing propaganda.

Not only are college numbers spun. Some are patently spurious, says Richard Sander, a law professor at UCLA. Law schools lure in minority students to improve diversity rankings without disclosing that less than half of African-Americans who enter these programs ever pass the bar. Schools goose employment statistics by temporarily hiring new grads and spotlighting kids who land top-paying jobs, while glossing over far-lower average incomes. The one certainty: The average law grad owes $100,000 in student debt.

LIke I say in everyone of these threads, it is very important before you go to college that you see the job outlook of your degree and compare it to the cost of gaining the degree, the opportunity costs needs to be included as well, compared to learning a trade.

Too many people believe in bogus stats about college education, and like yourself seem to want to default into the position that its good, when it isn't in reality.
Find a marketable skill should be the only goal in looking at education, when you look at how much it costs.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
College sets you up for a career? nikka people with degrees hate their fukking jobs just as much as the people with no degree... People always say "if I knew what I know now, I would have never went to college. college sets you up to work for someone else...

This is so fukking true. Now they all might not say I wish I didn't have a degree. But many I have dealt with will say man I should have went into this field cause the pay is better or went into this field cause I could do less work and have more job security and/or a pension and so on.

Folks just don't know how many well to do educated white collar folks hate they fukking gig.

Grass always greener man.

I will never forget my professor who in college was my mentor. In grad school dude was like man think about getting your PHD and being a professor. I was like hell naw I want to get out there and get to 100k real quick.

My mentor was like man I am telling you that 100k is good but you gonna work for that shyt in corporate america. My mentor was like look at all us professors here. We make big time money, don't do shyt and get paid to talk. Plus our salary is based on 9 months of work. We professors chill in the summer and if we want extra money we consult in the summer and teach at a university and or JUCO.

My professor explained that he worked in corporate america for 20 years and hated every minute of that shyt even though he was making 6 figures when he left. But the professor gig was the easiest money he had ever made and the stress levels were way lower than corporate america.

Anyway the last bit of advice he told me was.....it ain't what you make. It is how little you have to do to make it and how little your mental stress is when you doing it.

Last edited:

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol my man working himself to death, probably reaping the benefit of his wife's overall compensation package, and trying to flex. 'If I work 90 hrs a week, I make more than her!' LOL come on, folks. Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong w/ making an honest living, but he's gotta look at the bigger picture. I also think this line of thinking can be somewhat destructive :manny:

Sounds like a marriage thats heading for the split. My wife has a masters and makes more than me but we have a joint account so wut the fukk. When i pull out that debit the machine aint screaming "20% of your funds and the rest your wife's bread nikka catch up"

:russ:

Quality of life is more important than money

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
Well I am a felon and work 40 hrs per week clearing 90 before taxes with my kids but i get paid to work with my brain not my body

Stop talking shyt bas3d on where you are TODAY and live a full life none of this shyt matters I'm just happy to feed and keep my kids safe every night

Your bank balance and credit score are not part of you obituary find something deeper stop taking pride in nothing more than a game someone created for you the live with think about that shyt

This is why in prison I smiled and slept good every night same as I do on these streets

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like I said a lot of this shyt is a pissing contest cause folks are mad that some view their way isn't the best way. Which in the end it don't matter and each individual needs to choose the path that is best for them.

Truth be told a lot of white collar folks get pissed when successful entrepreneurs be like :umad: you work in coprorate america.

I remember for engineering week a kat came in to talk at a job I use to work at. Dude was a success business owner who started his own mechanical design company.

Kat said something to the fact it is good to not have to work in corporate america anymore getting up in the morning making someone else rich.

:laff::laff::laff::laff: boy you could have heard a pin drop... it was so quiet when he said that. Boy after his speech there was some pissed off mothafukkas in there....:laff::laff::laff:

Your boy sat there like.....:popcorn3::popcorn:...........:lolbron:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well I am a felon and work 40 hrs per week clearing 90 before taxes with my kids but i get paid to work with my brain not my body

Stop talking shyt bas3d on where you are TODAY and live a full life none of this shyt matters I'm just happy to feed and keep my kids safe every night

Your bank balance and credit score are not part of you obituary find something deeper stop taking pride in nothing more than a game someone created for you the live with think about that shyt

This is why in prison I smiled and slept good every night same as I do on these streets

:salute:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would dap this if I could

A lot of black people drank the "college" koolaid, but most current billionaires who started with nothing before becoming rich either didn't go to college or didn't finish

Most colleges just teach you how to work for someone else. You can be your own boss with a trade skill

Most current billionaires had extraordinary circumstances in the first place and if you're basing your choice not to go to
college on the couple hundred billionaires in this country vs. the hundreds of thousands of people finding work through a
college degree then you're looking at college and school totally wrong.

I don't put too much of my business on here but some brehs know I was a computer science
major, I now work at one of the largest aerospace companies on the planet.
:yeshrug:
You don't get jobs like that simply going to a trade school, I had to work my ass off on a college campus.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are nearly 2000 billionaires in the world today. The vast, vast majority fall under the criterion I gave earlier. Finding exceptions to the rule, does not break the rule. Maybe you should have taken that college stats class, huh?