I'm a 3x Felon w/ a GED & No Degree but I Make More Than My College Masters Educated Wife

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
the paper certificate that comes via education is important. in fact, its downright detrimental if youre not good with manual labor.

with that said, developing a trade is just as important, if not more. all kids, particulary males, should have a skill to fallback on. even if youre not good at working with your hands. theres always something you can tap into.

not having a skill is one of the main routes to disenfranchisement - if that's a word.

I'm not one of those "hard work is the key" type of people. but I plan to make sure my kids have a lane to hustle if need be.
Good point but how do young people get a trade?

You don't usually get trades on your own. You have to apprentice under someone. The prior generation wasn't really in trades they were mostly in service jobs, domestic jobs, government federal, state and city jobs,low skill labor jobs, manufacturing jobs (which don't exist hardly anymore) and they were basically jobs that new immigrants dominate now.

Hardly no-one from the prior generation can pass down a trade. Trades are generally passed down to family or extended family.

And Jose at the construction site ain't teaching Tyrone a trade.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
You can make more money mixing dangerous chemicals, working backbreaking construction jobs and manual labor in the high heat.

That doesn't mean it's what you want to be doing.

The whole point of college is to set you up with a career that doesn't work you to death, mostly through networking with people already in your career field.

Colin X

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
You can make more money mixing dangerous chemicals, working backbreaking construction jobs and manual labor in the high heat.

The whole point of college is to set you up with a career that doesn't work you to death, mostly through networking with people already in your career field.

Exactly

Nobody's going to college trying to work 70 hours a week doing back breaking work.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Most important word: overtime.

She makes more per hour = she makes more

Dude just wants to feel like he earns more than his wife

While he works overtime in some likely construction/factory environment, she does not have to to make more..

Basically homie insecure, living in the 80s
Never in my life have I heard, nor will I probably hear anyone in real life try to brag about how much they make per hour and act like that is a bigger deal than how much they take home per pay period.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
I work in the employment field, meaning when people are unemployed they come and see me. As a result, I'm exposed to a little bit of everyones business.

I have just as many people with degrees looking for work as those who don't. The one downside for those with degrees is that the student loans don't stop.

Skilled trades find work MUCH easier and seldom stress. They have a skill that society needs. Plus there's less stress in the interview process.

Most of my coworkers have degrees...and they make the same as me.

When you get that engineering degree you are competing for very limited positions and you must still deal with racism. Had several brehs with IT degrees and they weren't having luck. Their resume could be impressive but when it comes time for the interview:

:leostare: "Well we're not sure you will be a good fit here." Translated to, "You don't see this office full of cac nerds. We don't hip hop around here".

To work in the professional environment you often have to be that safe negroe.

I applaud education but that's really the problem with a lot of black people. Being educated by cacs is a contract stating you submit to society.

:mjlol:

tumblr_mceiw34Eq81rxjl6ko1_500.gif

1) first of all, many black people get their degrees from HBCU's, no "CAC's" involved at all..you clearly feel some type of way about black people with college degrees :childplease:

2) a majority of people with college degrees seeking employment do so because they're looking for work right after college, many college graduates get their jobs through temp agencies too
the point is that they have options, they aren't stuck in one place forever.

3) student loans are a part of life for every college student, this doesn't mean anything negative - every doctor or dentist you ever went to had student loans, what, they're dumbasses now? :dahell:

I doubt you even work in the field you claim you do, you may work in a building where people do what you're talking about - but I'm not buying it.
you work for an employment agency but you hate people with college degrees...that don't add up. :coffee:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

If you think the point of college is networking and not learning a marketable skill I would say you don't know the point of college.
If you work a dangerous job making more money and incurring no debt to enter the field than a person who goes to college wastes for years of time where they could be earning and doesn't even come out with a skill but only 5figure or 6 figure debt, you are intelligent, more intelligent than the college grad.

FSP

Banned
Daps
Never in my life have I heard, nor will I probably hear anyone in real life try to brag about how much they make per hour and act like that is a bigger deal than how much they take home per pay period.
How much free time you have after work is a huge deal

Breh better to fall back before he catch his wife getting her back blown out while he's slaving overtime :francis:

FSP

Banned
Daps
If you think the point of college is networking and not learning a marketable skill I would say you don't know the point of college.
If you work a dangerous job making more money and incurring no debt to enter the field than a person who goes to college wastes for years of time where they could be earning and doesn't even come out with a skill but only 5figure or 6 figure debt, you are intelligent, more intelligent than the college grad.
So way off base :wow:

I get that you obviously work this type of stuff but do away with comparing intelligence. It's silly

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
How much free time you have after work is a huge deal

Breh better to fall back before he catch his wife getting her back blown out while he's slaving overtime :francis:
If his wife is going to cheat she is going to cheat regardless of him working or not.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
So way off base :wow:

I get that you obviously work this type of stuff but do away with comparing intelligence. It's silly
What is off base, explain.
I'm not in a trade, I actually have a Bs and MS and work in the IT field.
I just see through a lot of the educational BS that a lot of black people bought into, and I see its simply bullshyt.
Get your money, get a marketable skill and eat, but wasting your time, incurring debt, and not gaining a marketable skill that provides a adequate RoI is foolish, and its time we start openly saying so.

FSP

Banned
Daps
What is off base, explain.
I'm not in a trade, I actually have a Bs and MS and work in the IT field.
I just see through a lot of the educational BS that a lot of black people bought into, and I see its simply bullshyt.
Get your money, get a marketable skill and eat, but wasting your time, incurring debt, and not gaining a marketable skill that provides a adequate RoI is foolish, and its time we start openly saying so.
I will have to explain after this interview. :wow: brb

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Also that white color corporate america stress is real. Seen too many kats have heart attacks at the job.

shyt one brotha who is a VP I knew had 2 in one year and another brotha I knew who was a director had 2 in a two year period.
How old were they?

kej718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do they work the same number of hours a week?
Is that before or after taxes?
Does he has health insurance or any other benefits?