If you accept Scarface (1983) film for what it is, it’s a good movie at best

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The more De Palma movies I’ve watched over time, the more I actually enjoy Scarface for what he was aiming for…it was incredibly ballsy on his part. :ehh:
It's wild how he did Scarface and Body Double back to back. Purely on an 80s aesthetics perspective, they're two of the best films to tell you what that decade was about.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
I've brought the DVD over 20 times since 2014... the uncut version, not the TV version that I saw on BET back in 2008.

Despite the cartoonish performances from the cast, there's a lot of good lessons to learn from Tony. Now I know the consequences of getting high off your own supply.

Don't do what Tony did, brehs. He lost his Biish, his homie, sister, crew, money and his life at the end.

The video game was always "What If Tony survived?"" to me as well.

In total, the 1983 movie will always be a classic in Black Culture though. Many rappers have used that movie as a template(Jay-Z, Kool G Rap, Nas, Biggie, Rae & Ghost, etc).

Even Pac parodied the scene where Frank Lopez was in the office with Bernstein and looked like he saw a ghost when Tony came in.

:pachaha:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Lets cut the crap and hop off our high horses and film snobbery for a minute. Scarface is a great film period. It has its issues and and certain parts didn't age well—outside of the opening theme that Mobb Deep sampled, most of the soundtrack is bad—but Pacino's performance as Scarface is one of the best out there hands down. Its way over the top-crazy accent and all, Pacino pretty much bodies every scene from start to finish. Just like the classic movie "Airplane" where's it goes nonstop-joke after joke after joke.. Scarface is the same way.. they don't take the foot off the gas one bit. Great colorful co-star cast, Manolo, Gina, Frank, Chi Chi, Sosa, Michelle Phifer, Omar Suarez, etc. Any movie that has a ton of quotables—and Scarface has a thousand of them—is a classic in my book. Pure gold. Stop frontin'

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lets cut the crap and hop off our high horses and film snobbery for a minute. Scarface is a great film period. It has its issues and and certain parts didn't age well—outside of the opening theme that Mobb Deep sampled, most of the soundtrack is bad—but Pacino's performance as Scarface is one of the best out there hands down. Its way over the top-crazy accent and all, Pacino pretty much bodies every scene from start to finish. Just like the classic movie "Airplane" where's it goes nonstop-joke after joke after joke.. Scarface is the same way.. they don't take the foot off the gas one bit. Great colorful co-star cast, Manolo, Gina, Frank, Chi Chi, Sosa, Michelle Phifer, Omar Suarez, etc. Any movie that has a ton of quotables—and Scarface has a thousand of them—is a classic in my book. Pure gold. Stop frontin'

Thats all this thread,a bunch of people who cant wait to tell us "This film isnt noir enough for me". Go watch your black and white films with subtitles,or one of these movies that dont give you a real ending ,so that you have the freedom to choose your own:beli:

Scarface is a classic,now Belly is trash. Just so we dont get the impression I like every violent movie with some quotables and classic scenes.