If you accept Scarface (1983) film for what it is, it’s a good movie at best

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It does illuminiate some of the drug business pretty well, it's just not as tightly narrated, or as small scale as Goodfellas. You see the contribution of the US polices on immigration/Cuba, you see poverty, then you see the kingpins like Frank, the corrupt banks that launder the drug cash, and the real source of supply kingpins like Sosa. The supply flow from Bolivia to Miami.

The corrupt lawyers who keep the ball rolling, the shady car dealers who sell them the cars, and the Justice Department guys doing their thing to stop trafficking. You see the role of the media, small ways, and the way politics plays a role, the UN confrence speech or whatever. The way political corruption worked in South America too. He explains the entire cocaine industry, it is organized, tightly organized. They show you the beginning way lots of deals were done, in low budget hotel rooms, with everyone armed. A few kilos . They don't show the flow of cocaine onto the streets and into the parties and clubs and all that, like mid level distribution, like the way a Goodfellas movie would. As in the guys who Frank would wholesale to, who then whoelsale it to smaller guys and all the way down. Or the guys who took 25 kilos or 100 kilos in Boston or whatever,

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I always crack up when he begs for his life "Tony please !I'll give 10 million dollars Tony" :laff:

:russ: yeah, the other part that always had me rolling is when he's giving Tony the rule to the games and he goes, "never underestimate the other guy's greed" and he starts laughing. it's how animated he said it and how he laughs :pachaha::laff:

Daps
The coli tries too hard to be edgy/different. Average films don't have this high of a replayability factor.

This dikkmouth above me even tries to one up OP with a new hot take: it's a comedy :martin:

It is by no means a masterpiece, but it absolutely is deserving of it's "classic" status and y'all should do better at coming up with topics that aren't so corny.

You need people like me, so you can point your fuckin finger and say "that's the bad guy" :ohlawd:

Scarface is a masterpiece

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I'll never forget when I was in high school, and I thought Scarface was the GOATier film. Hearing rap and hip-hop artists always big up it in songs plus Spike TV played it constantly so I'd watch it all of the time. I even went and copped that 20th anniversary edition DVD the day that it dropped in 2003 and watched it dozens of times. Then I started watching other films like Goodfellas and The Godfather movies and those films made Scarface look like a big bowl of "Meh." I can't tell you the last time I watched Scarface in its entirety. It'll always be a good representation of the 80's era though.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Scarface influenced so many rappers. I still bump this to this day
:mjlol:When she throws her arms up to the beat, and the hook comes in. Gets me every time.
i have this shirt :russ:

wear it on vacation

yayo.png

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Most overrated movie of all time. Sets, cinematography and soundtrack elevate it a step above a Tubi TV movie :hubie:

The only reason Scarface hype reached it's apex in mid 2000s was thanks to dumbass rappers showing off their 'Scarface' inspired white leather sectionals and movie posters. It becoming 'underrated' aligns closely with MTV cribs getting cancelled :mjlol: