If you accept Scarface (1983) film for what it is, it’s a good movie at best

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
The coli tries too hard to be edgy/different. Average films don't have this high of a replayability factor.

This dikkmouth above me even tries to one up OP with a new hot take: it's a comedy :martin:

It is by no means a masterpiece, but it absolutely is deserving of it's "classic" status and y'all should do better at coming up with topics that aren't so corny.

You need people like me, so you can point your fuckin finger and say "that's the bad guy" :ohlawd:
Motherfukkers still watching this 3-4 hour movie, FOURTY YEARS later, for the 155th time... But calling it mid

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Movie is cartoonish any way you cut it.
And that's what makes the movie. It's not trying to be Godfather or even Goodfellas

It's this wild ass Cuban, locked up from the opening credits, and beating all the odds, making it to the top, and never going against his morals. He threw it all away to not kill a wife and kids, so in the end, you find yourself not even rooting against the guy who trafficked tons of cocaine. Pachino plays that shyt so over the top that you get 10000 quotes and probably his top 5 performances, even how cartoony the shyt is.

There is no reason this movie should be this remembered or debated vs about 50 other movies since 1983, but here we are. The performances, the sets, the clothes, the action, the script. It was the 80s, miami, cocaine era in a movie and there ain't a number 2 I can remember that even comes close. This movie IS 80s coke

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I've watched it 2-3 more times since I made this post 5 years ago and pretty much feel the same. In fact I probably feel even more strongly about it.

I don't ever feel like I'm watching a great movie when I'm watching it but I still find myself watching it more often than other films I feel are better made. I think there is a certain charm to it being rough and unrefined spectacle, like it's title character, like doing 100 lines of coke. It's really watchable, mostly because of the over the top performance, but also the music and iconic scenes that define that time period and location.

Do I think it's top 10? No. Not even top 50. But it is a classic.