If you accept Scarface (1983) film for what it is, it’s a good movie at best

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
Definitely influential. The hood latched on to Scarface in big part because of the “from nothing to something” story of Tony, on top of course of the coke, killings, etc

Still can’t believe my OG took me to a showing of this at a theater when I was a kid :mjlol: But I can still watch it to this day as an adult

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
and in it's time, it was INCREDIBLY controversial, for the violence, the language, no character says fukk more than Pacino in Scarface, it was going to be X Rated back in the days of the MPAA vast and real power, and they had to cut it down.

De Palma and Stone were swinging for the fences, and it's clear that 40 years later, it was a worthy effort.

I always say that some minor changes, like the face in cocaine are too much and looks fake, would have been better to just show him cracking open a single kilo and doing some heavy lines. Inhaling that mount of nearly pure cocaine, or even less pure cocaine isn't possible. Even if your tolerance is high, it's the amount that gets into your bloodstream. It would instantly overdose you, like 3 grams of raw right up your nose. The affect was cartoonish and not desperate and sad.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
For a while people were really overrating 'Scarface' but now I think it's gotten to the point where people are underrating it. The on-set locations, wardrobe and score make it a very good movie not even factoring in the performances which I think are a bit over-the-top but amazing to watch.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Even the supporting players are great, Loggia as Frank

at one point I told my homie he was Frank and now we all make that joke

He would be acting like Frank, when he says "tonight.... the Babylon club" with the girls, always the same spot, so we all quote the lines

"yes.....again" "why would anyone want to kill me....I got nothing but friends"

The effect was that these roles could have been just stock parts, but through the acting, writing and directing, it created real characters who had personality traits, it's great world building.

The scenes in the club, the score, and the evocation of lonliness and isolation, just before the attempted killings jolts Tony back to life.

The haunting score as they confront Frank, the tension there, the backdrop of the fake/glamorous Miami, contrasted with Frank bleeding out after pleading for his life. I used to have that poster on my fukking wall as a teenager.

Last edited:

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
Cmon, breh...act like theres not a bunch of average to bad movies with high rewatchability

Being entertaining doesnt mean it was exactly good or great technically
I said it's not a masterpiece what do you want from me??:why:

Friday isn't a masterpiece but it's still a fukkin classic

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
and in it's time, it was INCREDIBLY controversial, for the violence, the language, no character says fukk more than Pacino in Scarface, it was going to be X Rated back in the days of the MPAA vast and real power, and they had to cut it down.

De Palma and Stone were swinging for the fences, and it's clear that 40 years later, it was a worthy effort.

I always say that some minor changes, like the face in cocaine are too much and looks fake, would have been better to just show him cracking open a single kilo and doing some heavy lines. Inhaling that mount of nearly pure cocaine, or even less pure cocaine isn't possible. Even if your tolerance is high, it's the amount that gets into your bloodstream. It would instantly overdose you, like 3 grams of raw right up your nose. The affect was cartoonish and not desperate and sad.

Superstar
Daps
I enjoyed it as a kid, my brother watched the tape once a week. Once I hit highschool I grew to realize how much of a dikkhead Tony was, and it became funny to me. I don’t think I’ve watched it since 2004 and probably won’t watch it again.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
It's a B movie at it's core, it's just staffed with a lot of talent from actors to composer. De Palma was punching above his weight a little too, but he kinda had the juice late 70s to mid 80s so he pulled it off.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Probably the goat gangster film. Clowns get upset and knock the fact it doesnt have elegant dialogue, or the intricate drama and details of "the life" like Goodfellas or Godfather. This is more true to that era where the crime was a little less than organized. Just a young hot head with a big ego navigating an empire.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Probably the goat gangster film. Clowns get upset and knock the fact it doesnt have elegant dialogue, or the intricate drama and details of "the life" like Goodfellas or Godfather. This is more true to that era where the crime was a little less than organized. Just a young hot head with a big ego navigating an empire.

You're discussing two different things. Tony is a drug kingpin. It's not really an organized crime situation.