Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
you obviously have not lived in england, so why do you think its different? i live in both usa and uk. i think im more educated on this than you
if you don't have the same connection its because you like many american's don't travel the world, thats why you also make unfounded comments such as the one you made. If you lived in england you would know what you're saying isn't true.
its acting.... not a documentary. black is black no matter where someone is born, we all have the same history. you think because i was born in england my history doesnt start in africa, then cacs came and enslaved my ancestors, then i live in a white country with racist cacs. same shyt different toilet.
i have traveled so that's a moot point

my comments aren't unfounded, it's my experience and thru the conversation i've had with others who come from or live in different countries

it is acting, that's why, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, but we're discussing the comments of someone who feels the same as many AA's in regards to non-AA blacks in AA roles...l

i think there is a big difference in our histories, yes, people have gone through similar things throughout the diaspora, but there are struggles and stories that happen amongst different groups and don't mean the same thing to each group.

you can sit here on the "we're all the same" hype, that's great. i've had enough experiences to know that there are differences and those differences are just as integral as any similarities

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
All this wouldn't even matter if us AA'S actually BUILT our own Hollywood a long time ago.

I'm still trying to figure out how we never progressed from us getting money in the chitlin circuit from our own establishments to making a film industry we could support and sustain.

The white/Jews did it with Vaudeville which came before Hollywood.

We never tried to boss up in the film industry the same way we did in the music industry which is really puzzling.:jbhmm:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Denzel Washington played a black Englishman and Steve Biko.

Don Cheadle played a Rwandan man.

We been doing it for years.

Also as others have mentioned, Chadwick Boseman as a fictional Afrikan king/superhero in which he straight up said he did research and leaned on co-stars Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira to help craft/refine an afrikan accent.

At the end of the day, Sam Jack is looking at things as an employee/contractor, which is fine, whereas I'm looking at it as a customer who just wants quality black representation in media.

Whether Idris (Afrikan) is Black Panther (Afrikan character) and Chadwick (AA) is Green Lantern John Stewart (AA character), or vice versa, I really don't give a shyt. My objectives are met regardless.

I see Boyega eating well, I see MBJ eating well with Coogler, I see Boseman eating well playing every friggin black historical figure + that Disney money now, I see Idris eating well, and I swear Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman are in every cotdamn movie that requires an old or token black man.

I also witnessed Mike Colter coming up the trenches in lil movies/video game voice acting here and there long before he landed the Luke Cage role. Same with Mahershala a Ali in Predator, long before he slimmed down as Cottomouth and some of his other roles. Before Get Out, I only remembered Kaluuya from that one episode of Black Mirror season 1. Hell I was hoping Nathan-Stewart (Curtis from Misfits) would become a breakout star, the same way I wanted Boyega to be when i saw him years ago in Attack the Block.

So I notice more british actors i suppose but for me it's not like they came out of nowhere. Regardless, i understand Sam's point, but i'm just more concerned with there being more leading roles for black actors that are along the lines of what Boseman, Boyega, and Colter are getting. I don't watch CW shows, but shoutout to the guy playing Black Lightning as a lead as well.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i have traveled so that's a moot point

my comments aren't unfounded, it's my experience and thru the conversation i've had with others who come from or live in different countries

it is acting, that's why, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, but we're discussing the comments of someone who feels the same as many AA's in regards to non-AA blacks in AA roles...l

i think there is a big difference in our histories, yes, people have gone through similar things throughout the diaspora, but there are struggles and stories that happen amongst different groups and don't mean the same thing to each group.

you can sit here on the "we're all the same" hype, that's great. i've had enough experiences to know that there are differences and those differences are just as integral as any similarities

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And that's the comment of someone who ain't black would make

:mjpls:
im sure im blacker than you, and can trace my history back to the african country of origin. can you? have you even been to an african country? probably not, yet you want to delegate who is black and who isn't.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nothing wrong with what Sam Jackson said. It's the truth. If you look at Snowfall for example, the lead actor is British. You mean to tell me they couldn't find a Black male from LA to fill that role? A colleague of mine is an actor on the side out there and it rubbed him the wrong way to see that.

Thank you!! I feel the same way, I knew his accent was off cause he sounded like he was from Harlem lol. Googled him and he's from England and studied Denzel and someone else for that role....what!?!!?! They couldn't hire a decent black American actor??? To play a kid from south central, shyt "Carvel" is Day Shawn from vice principals and a classically trained actor..couldn't find another car like that?

FukYaFeelings

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Englewood Chicago to Southwest Atlanta
im sure im blacker than you, and can trace my history back to the african country of origin. can you? have you even been to an african country? probably not, yet you want to delegate who is black and who isn't.

Go post on an african forum then nikka :what:

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang
The nikka that's in EVERY fukking movie complaining about jobs being taken...
tumblr_lltobexLN41qcjzcm.gif

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
a lot better than some of the british actors trying out american accents

black panther is based on an american work, and eddie murphy WAS coming to america
Lol not the best come back.

I personally just like seeing good black actors getting work regardless of where they come from

Jards

All Star
Daps
Yes sir, gladly.

The big picture = the way the business works, a business controlled by white people.
Now I'm not trying to do some 'lemme tell you how the world works my G' shyt. This is just my 2 cents.

The GAIN that Samuel L. Jackson could get for 'black American actors' comes with the price of 2 things
1) a bigger divide between black actors as a whole
2) a message that says 'we black actors are divided'

You could be from ANYWHERE. If you're black, and you're SKILLED AF, I'm rooting for you - even if that means competition.

Why?

Because we are playing in THEIR world. Their being white studios, white Producers, white funding, white everything. And the more talented black actors put on aweinspiring performances.. the more white owners will think 'this makes money.. let's do more'. The more division there is, the more noise, the more negativity.. the more white owners will think (and Samuel L. Jackson is a WORLD FAMOUS CELEBRITY) 'ok this is trouble.. let's stick with white actors'.

So the big picture is not about the passport of the actor. Can anybody seriously say Idris Elba as Stringer Bell wasn't genius? No. We need more of that and whether he's from London or from NYC (Idris actually lived and DJ'd in NYC as a struggling actor..) doesn't matter. The more division, the more we from a distance look like we're a bunch of animals fighting. When is the LAST TIME you heard a white American actor say 'Wow.. Christian Bale.. he's not even from the US and he's playing Batman...'. No. It's called getting the big picture. Bale's movie works.. more great movies will be funded.. is more work.

I hope this didn't come down as 'teachey' this is merely my 2 cents.

TL;DR: if we look divided, we look like trouble and less black men will be hired for movies. If we stand united, more black men will have a chance to give great performances which in turn will inspire white owners to create more movies featuring black men = even more opportunities for black men.
Beyond this we should have more pride than fighting amongst ourselves over scraps they're trying to feed us. Should be proud of any black man and woman anywhere in the world doing their thing. Even though someone made a joke about this earlier Sam is coming across as a house nikker right now. Feels like he's hating because Get Out has been critically and financially more successful than every movie he's top billed. If the movie made 250k and was 10% on RT he wouldn't have said shyt.