Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
British actors take all of the American acting jobs, even the comic book ones. White actors play Americans all the time.

I think Dule Hill or Omar Epps would've killed it in Get Out....
It's not like Get Out was a guaranteed hit or a big budget movie. And Kaluuya was perfect for the role. Not only that, but it's not like he's been in a ton of shyt either. This is a non story.

Jards

All Star
Daps
Sam Jackson was right though....

The problem is people were spinning it as him going at Black Brits, when in reality he was going on the casting directors and agencies in Hollywood. They have a tendency to just assume that black folks from the UK are better actors than Black Americans. To be fair they do the same thing with white actors, white actors from the UK and Australia get a lot of roles because they're perceived to be better actors by casting agents.
That's the thing to be honest - it's not even just a black thing but rather than speak out against the Hollywood system and upset white people he'd rather shyt on black people because there will be less blow back. Sam's a legend to me but he took the cowardly way out.

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
Conclusion. Black men are trained, even the most successful ones, to divide and make sure we as black men stay divided.

You see it in Chicago and LA with the gangs.
You see it in Hip-Hop with the rappers who fight at EACH BET award show
You see it in the news when a famous rapper gets robbed or shot
You see it day in day out
You see it: black men are trained to hate themselves and the plan is working PERFECTLY

Fukking Samual L. Jackson of all people (the actor who made the most money in total at the Box Office) does this.

Wow

U.N.I.T.Y. to Sam is You and I Tea. Why??

I love this guy's movies, but this is super stupid. With Idris all the way.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Conclusion. Black men are trained, even the most successful ones, to divide and make sure we as black men stay divided.

You see it in Chicago and LA with the gangs.
You see it in Hip-Hop with the rappers who fight at EACH BET award show
You see it in the news when a famous rapper gets robbed or shot
You see it day in day out
You see it: black men are trained to hate themselves and the plan is working PERFECTLY

Fukking Samual L. Jackson of all people (the actor who made the most money in total at the Box Office) does this.

Wow

U.N.I.T.Y. to Sam is You and I Tea. Why??

I love this guy's movies, but this is super stupid. With Idris all the way.

because as an american actor, he probably feels a certain way about american actors being left on the street. i mean how many young black american actors are doing things right now? michael b?

FukYaFeelings

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Englewood Chicago to Southwest Atlanta
are you being serious?

black is black, why can't a english actor play an american role?

the reason people were mad at will smith isn't because he is america, it was because like alot of american black actors he was horrible at doing the accent.

African American and black British are different..

Folks getting real mad at me for defending African Americans :mjpls:

Last edited:

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
because as an american actor, he probably feels a certain way about american actors being left on the street. i mean how many young black american actors are doing things right now? michael b?

Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us, movies), LaKeith Stanfield (Atlanta, movies), Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta, movies), Anthony Mackie (movies), Rotimi (Power), Kamal Angelo Bolden (Chicago Fire), Aldis Hodge (TV, movies), Edwin Hodge (Six - navy seal drama), Jussie Smollett (Empire), Donald Glover (a monster), Corey Hawkins (TV, movies, theatre), Stephan James (tv, movies), Mahershala Ali (Oscar, movies, HBO).

There are some who are beginning to make names for themselves. Still need more black writers and directors though, who write stories for these guys.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
what could someone like myself, black... born in england not be able to relate to about black americans?
the situations we go through here in the US, systemic mistreatment from the majority, a lot of ire from other immigrants who are part of the african diaspora. not having the emotional connection to the events and people - these are the people who shaped our history or freedom, their actions directly affect us. no one is saying a non AA black can't understand this stuff, but the connection to it is not going to be the same.

whenever i talk to black euros, their conception of race is usually markedly different than here due to being a smaller minority, a longer history of freedom, and more mixing.

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
then explain it to me good sir.
Yes sir, gladly.

The big picture = the way the business works, a business controlled by white people.
Now I'm not trying to do some 'lemme tell you how the world works my G' shyt. This is just my 2 cents.

The GAIN that Samuel L. Jackson could get for 'black American actors' comes with the price of 2 things
1) a bigger divide between black actors as a whole
2) a message that says 'we black actors are divided'

You could be from ANYWHERE. If you're black, and you're SKILLED AF, I'm rooting for you - even if that means competition.

Why?

Because we are playing in THEIR world. Their being white studios, white Producers, white funding, white everything. And the more talented black actors put on aweinspiring performances.. the more white owners will think 'this makes money.. let's do more'. The more division there is, the more noise, the more negativity.. the more white owners will think (and Samuel L. Jackson is a WORLD FAMOUS CELEBRITY) 'ok this is trouble.. let's stick with white actors'.

So the big picture is not about the passport of the actor. Can anybody seriously say Idris Elba as Stringer Bell wasn't genius? No. We need more of that and whether he's from London or from NYC (Idris actually lived and DJ'd in NYC as a struggling actor..) doesn't matter. The more division, the more we from a distance look like we're a bunch of animals fighting. When is the LAST TIME you heard a white American actor say 'Wow.. Christian Bale.. he's not even from the US and he's playing Batman...'. No. It's called getting the big picture. Bale's movie works.. more great movies will be funded.. is more work.

I hope this didn't come down as 'teachey' this is merely my 2 cents.

TL;DR: if we look divided, we look like trouble and less black men will be hired for movies. If we stand united, more black men will have a chance to give great performances which in turn will inspire white owners to create more movies featuring black men = even more opportunities for black men.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the situations we go through here in the US, systemic mistreatment from the majority, a lot of ire from other immigrants who are part of the african diaspora. not having the emotional connection to the events and people - these are the people who shaped our history or freedom, their actions directly affect us. no one is saying a non AA black can't understand this stuff, but the connection to it is not going to be the same.

whenever i talk to black euros, their conception of race is usually markedly different than here due to being a smaller minority, a longer history of freedom, and more mixing.
ah so you don't think black people go thru systematic mistreatment in england?
so you don't think black people in england dont go thru not having emotion connection to events and people?
the things you listed are not exclusive to americans.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther), Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us, movies), LaKeith Stanfield (Atlanta, movies), Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta, movies), Anthony Mackie (movies), Rotimi (Power), Kamal Angelo Bolden (Chicago Fire), Aldis Hodge (TV, movies), Edwin Hodge (Six - navy seal drama), Jussie Smollett (Empire), Donald Glover (a monster), Corey Hawkins (TV, movies, theatre), Stephan James (tv, movies), Mahershala Ali (Oscar, movies, HBO).

There are some who are beginning to make names for themselves. Still need more black writers and directors though, who write stories for these guys.

there are fantastic picks in there. but outside of glover, and hopefully ali, none of them are big names. i mean stansfield and and the hodge brothers should be huge based on their talent, and i know boseman is gonna kill come february, but in an industry with so many limited roles, they should be competing with each other, not brits