Idris Elba Drags Samuel Jackson For Attempting To Divide Black Actors

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Sam should just step to the casting director he thinks do this privately. Just pondering the question in public isn't helping anyone, especially American born Black actors.
how is it not helping? these are conversations that need to happen publicly, it serves to make casting directors think, black american actors try harder, etc. if i had a voice in hollywood i'd voice my displeasure about the dearth of young black female talent, and the little that is given work are clearly biracial, basically erasing the average black woman from film

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
how is it not helping? these are conversations that need to happen publicly, it serves to make casting directors think, black american actors try harder, etc. if i had a voice in hollywood i'd voice my displeasure about the dearth of your black female talent, and the little that is given work are clearly biracial, basically erasing the average black woman from film
I think if you did it privately, the casting directors would be less likely to get defensive and actually hear you out more. Doing it in public is like you are putting them on blast. There are plenty of good AA actors out there so I don't think they even need to 'try harder' they just need more opportunity. Like Sam said it's just a perception they are better, not that they actually are better actors.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I understand where both sides are coming from:yeshrug:. I ain't mad at Sam but he shoulda kept that inside and I'm not mad at Idris for feeling the way he does either.

My question though, if the shoe was on the other foot, Idris and other BB actors would be tight as hell if an AA played the first black Bond :martin:.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I think if you did it privately, the casting directors would be less likely to get defensive and actually hear you out more. Doing it in public is like you are putting them on blast. There are plenty of good AA actors out there so I don't think they even need to 'try harder' they just need more opportunity. Like Sam said it's just a perception they are better, not that they actually are better actors.
i feel the opposite, i don't know what this board's issue is with intra-racial topics being talked about publicly...too much focus on who's "judging" vs. the conversation. and this isn't different than other non-black actors, casting agents, and hollywood execs who have commented on the "brit takeover" as well...it's a topic for the entire industry right now :yeshrug:

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
While I agree with a pan-African perspective in general, I think that we should also acknowledge that in America, African Americans have a *particular* stigma and hatred attached to them as blacks. Make no mistake, they hate Jamaicans/Nigerians/British Blacks too...but never as much as they hate "their" blacks.

These Brits are trying to pretend that they don't have a privilege here, and that's just as wrong.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
i feel the opposite, i don't know what this board's issue is with intra-racial topics being talked about publicly...too much focus on who's "judging" vs. the conversation. and this isn't different than other non-black actors, casting agents, and hollywood execs who have commented on the "brit takeover" as well...it's a topic for the entire industry right now :yeshrug:
If you present a united front cracks aren't apparent and it is more difficult to pit blacks vs blacks. I think speaking to people privately would just be more effective to the end goal of clearing up perception vs reality.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
The thing is it's all of the casting directors that do it. A fair number of problems with see are because of casting directors. Damn near every black actor has a story about a casting director asking them some fukk shyt.

Can I get some quotes from those black actors, sounds interesting.