ICE Raids in Mississippi’s Chicken Country Create Opportunity for Black Residents

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
It shouldn't be ignored that the *real* problem here is the so-called job creators:

"But as American chicken consumption boomed in the 1980s, manufacturers went in search of “cheaper and more exploitable workers,” Dr. Stuesse wrote, chiefly Latin American immigrants.

At the time, the Koch plant in Morton was owned by a local company, B.C. Rogers Poultry, which organized efforts to recruit Hispanics from the Texas border as early as 1977. Soon, the company was operating a sizable effort it called “The Hispanic Project,” bringing in thousands of workers and housing them in trailers.
"

It also should not be ignored that these jobs come with horrible working conditions and that this company recently settled a lawsuit over labor abuses (without admitting any wrongdoing, so it will likely continue). I hope this leads to the organizing of a strong union here to demand better working conditions, but given that Mississippi is an at-will state, I'm not so sure. Anyway, this is a complicated subject, and I am not necessarily in favor of unchecked immigration, but I think it's being lost on some what the real problem is so to speak.
Do you think illegals are running to OSHA and the FDA?

Hiring illegals makes everything and everyone more unsafe because they don't report anything in the first place.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
No black man should apologize for providing for himself or his family. Also, those “leaders” need to STFU and eat a dikk.

Nikkas is starving out here nobody want to hear that “it’s like slavery” nonsense.
remember all this $40 million dollars slave shyt too you hear from football players :scust:

Just cheapening terms :mindblown:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
These businesses are exploiting illegals for cheap labor. But this country has been doing this for hundred of years. From slaves to the Irish and Italians. Exploiting people then blaming those people is the American way.
Irish and Italians came here voluntarily.

Try again.

Not to mention, the first unions in the country excluded black labor.

Don't tell me you care about unions when you have illegal immigrants fam.

Don't do that.

The history of black labor being shytted on by unions is ITSELF a massive hole in your history.

The first skilled trades unions were made to keep black labor out and they fought tooth and nail to gain ANY legitimacy!!!

African-American's Rights | Unions Making History in America

Whats that got to do with giving illegals a ladder over black labor concerns?

Do you know about the Davis Bacon Act?? I bet you DO NOT

Davis–Bacon Act of 1931 - Wikipedia

At the time of original passage, Jim Crow Laws were in effect throughout the Southern United States. During World War I, immigration from Europe fell dramatically at precisely the time that Northern industry required additional labor for the war effort.[33] As a result, northern industry and entrepreneurs began to recruit laborers from the South.[33] This brought about or accelerated the Great Migration in which black (and white) laborers from the South came North in search of better pay and opportunity.

The migration in turn created new demographic challenges in the North. White workers were competing against new labor; in some cases, the black workers were used as pawns in an effort to break unions.[33] There were widespread efforts to recruit black workers[33][34] and in reaction, efforts to thwart recruitment.[33][35] Black migrants were restricted to specific neighborhoods in northern cities where the buildings were in poor condition and rents were high, forcing them to live in dense conditions.[33]

In that context, the protests against the Long Island hospital built with migrant labor can be seen for what they were: resistance outside of the Jim Crow South to black workers.[8] During this time, complaints about black workers taking federal construction jobs appear sporadically through the legislation history of both prior bills that anticipated Davis-Bacon, and Davis-Bacon itself.[6][36] On the floor of the House of Representatives, Congressman Upshaw said: "You will not think that a southern man is more than human if he smiles over the fact of your reaction to that real problem you are confronted with in any community with a superabundance or large aggregation of negro labor."[8][37] U.S. Congressman John J. Cochran (D-Missouri) reported that he had "received numerous complaints in recent months about southern contractors employing low-paid colored mechanics getting work and bringing the employees from the South".[8] U.S. Congressman Clayton Allgood (D-Alabama) reported on "cheap colored labor" that "is in competition with white labor throughout the country".[8][38] [39]

Despite the initial complaints about the use of migrant workers, the Act does not require that contractors show that workers engaged are local residents, but rather requires that laborers be paid the local prevailing wage. Due to the way the data were collected at that time and due to the fact that construction trades were heavily unionized at that time by craft unions, “prevailing wage” effectively meant “union journeyman wage” as discussed above. Unions operate by negotiating for higher wages, and then working to restrict those eligible for the higher wages to union membership.[40] Craft unions did not admit black apprentices, and therefore black laborers did not have the opportunity to advance to journeyman status.[8][41][42][43][44][45] According to Bernstein, “as of 1940 blacks composed 19 percent of the 435,000 unskilled "construction laborers" in the United States and 45 percent of the 87,060 in the South”,[8] and according to Hill, "the increase of Negro participation in building trades apprenticeship training programs rose only from 1.5% to 2%" in New York between 1950 and 1960.[43]:116 Furthermore, Hill pointed out that "ecause the National Labor Relations Board has done little to enforce the anti-closed shop provisions of the Taft Hartley Act, building trades unions affiliated to the AFL-CIO in most instances are closed unions operating closed shops".[43]:113 Therefore, the requirements and mechanisms of the Davis–Bacon Act necessarily prevented black laborers from participating in federally funded construction projects. “According to a study on youth and minority employment published by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee on July 6, 1977, Davis–Bacon wage requirements discourage nonunion contractors from bidding on Federal construction work, thus harming minority and young workers who are more likely to work in the nonunionized sector of the construction industry.”[12] Thus, even if racism was not the intent, racial discrimination was a result of the law initially.

Subsequent developments
The Congress of Industrial Organizations split from the American Federation of Labor in 1935. The AFL was predominantly made up of craft unions, most of which disallowed black members. The CIO was integrationist. In the years that followed, the AFL and CIO moved towards each other and toward integration. By the time they re-united in 1955, unions were much less discriminatory. Even more recently, rules introduced by the Johnson, Nixon, and Reagan administrations[8] have reduced the discriminatory effects of the Davis–Bacon Act. Black interest groups have found common cause with unions[24] and the NAACP passed a resolution in 1993 in support of the DBA.[46]

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Irish and Italians came here voluntarily.

Try again.

Not to mention, the first unions in the country excluded black labor.

Don't tell me you care about unions when you have illegal immigrants fam.

Don't do that.

The history of black labor being shytted on by unions is ITSELF a massive hole in your history.

The first skilled trades unions were made to keep black labor out and they fought tooth and nail to gain ANY legitimacy!!!

African-American's Rights | Unions Making History in America

Whats that got to do with giving illegals a ladder over black labor concerns?

Do you know about the Davis Bacon Act?? I bet you DO NOT

Davis–Bacon Act of 1931 - Wikipedia

At the time of original passage, Jim Crow Laws were in effect throughout the Southern United States. During World War I, immigration from Europe fell dramatically at precisely the time that Northern industry required additional labor for the war effort.[33] As a result, northern industry and entrepreneurs began to recruit laborers from the South.[33] This brought about or accelerated the Great Migration in which black (and white) laborers from the South came North in search of better pay and opportunity.

The migration in turn created new demographic challenges in the North. White workers were competing against new labor; in some cases, the black workers were used as pawns in an effort to break unions.[33] There were widespread efforts to recruit black workers[33][34] and in reaction, efforts to thwart recruitment.[33][35] Black migrants were restricted to specific neighborhoods in northern cities where the buildings were in poor condition and rents were high, forcing them to live in dense conditions.[33]

In that context, the protests against the Long Island hospital built with migrant labor can be seen for what they were: resistance outside of the Jim Crow South to black workers.[8] During this time, complaints about black workers taking federal construction jobs appear sporadically through the legislation history of both prior bills that anticipated Davis-Bacon, and Davis-Bacon itself.[6][36] On the floor of the House of Representatives, Congressman Upshaw said: "You will not think that a southern man is more than human if he smiles over the fact of your reaction to that real problem you are confronted with in any community with a superabundance or large aggregation of negro labor."[8][37] U.S. Congressman John J. Cochran (D-Missouri) reported that he had "received numerous complaints in recent months about southern contractors employing low-paid colored mechanics getting work and bringing the employees from the South".[8] U.S. Congressman Clayton Allgood (D-Alabama) reported on "cheap colored labor" that "is in competition with white labor throughout the country".[8][38] [39]

Despite the initial complaints about the use of migrant workers, the Act does not require that contractors show that workers engaged are local residents, but rather requires that laborers be paid the local prevailing wage. Due to the way the data were collected at that time and due to the fact that construction trades were heavily unionized at that time by craft unions, “prevailing wage” effectively meant “union journeyman wage” as discussed above. Unions operate by negotiating for higher wages, and then working to restrict those eligible for the higher wages to union membership.[40] Craft unions did not admit black apprentices, and therefore black laborers did not have the opportunity to advance to journeyman status.[8][41][42][43][44][45] According to Bernstein, “as of 1940 blacks composed 19 percent of the 435,000 unskilled "construction laborers" in the United States and 45 percent of the 87,060 in the South”,[8] and according to Hill, "the increase of Negro participation in building trades apprenticeship training programs rose only from 1.5% to 2%" in New York between 1950 and 1960.[43]:116 Furthermore, Hill pointed out that "ecause the National Labor Relations Board has done little to enforce the anti-closed shop provisions of the Taft Hartley Act, building trades unions affiliated to the AFL-CIO in most instances are closed unions operating closed shops".[43]:113 Therefore, the requirements and mechanisms of the Davis–Bacon Act necessarily prevented black laborers from participating in federally funded construction projects. “According to a study on youth and minority employment published by the Congressional Joint Economic Committee on July 6, 1977, Davis–Bacon wage requirements discourage nonunion contractors from bidding on Federal construction work, thus harming minority and young workers who are more likely to work in the nonunionized sector of the construction industry.”[12] Thus, even if racism was not the intent, racial discrimination was a result of the law initially.

Subsequent developments
The Congress of Industrial Organizations split from the American Federation of Labor in 1935. The AFL was predominantly made up of craft unions, most of which disallowed black members. The CIO was integrationist. In the years that followed, the AFL and CIO moved towards each other and toward integration. By the time they re-united in 1955, unions were much less discriminatory. Even more recently, rules introduced by the Johnson, Nixon, and Reagan administrations[8] have reduced the discriminatory effects of the Davis–Bacon Act. Black interest groups have found common cause with unions[24] and the NAACP passed a resolution in 1993 in support of the DBA.[46]

The fukk is all this?
Hold the people who hired the illegals responsible and you wont have illegal working in these jobs. Why are taking the blame off the people who enable illegal immigrants to work?

J.E.T.S

Lookahere mayne...
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta/Memphis
with

what

money?

:gucci:

I found jobs and interviewed in other states. Came up on a TEMP job in GA paying $13.50 in 2005. Left Memphis and got a roommate. Continued my job search for 6 months after until I found another permanent job paying better. That led me to Chicago for 2 years. I loved Georgia, so I found yet another job and moved back. Took my ass to community college here and got a decent job. Been here ever since. It's had its highs and lows, but now I'm doing fantastic.

I got da fukk on nikka... hell you talkin bout.:gucci:

Did it on my own. I ain't have shyt, but I wasn't scared to go out and be a man. I wanted better and eventually I got it.

Who stays in a state where the only prospect of making it is through a modern day cotton field? :dahell:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The fukk is all this?
Hold the people who hired the illegals responsible and you wont have illegal working in these jobs. Why are taking the blame off the people who enable illegal immigrants to work?
Theres been a 40+ year assault on black labor by illegals and you want black people to not say anything?

Why are you so afraid to discuss all the illegals?

And what do you do if an illegal immigrant lies about their status? Most of the people arrested at this chicken factory committed IDENTITY FRAUD.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
The corporations need to be punished, and those who are here illegally should be punished as well.

Fine these CEO’s and corporations heavily; even include jail time for repeat offenders and those with large operations. With that being said, anyone who is here illegally caught in a raid should be deported immediately.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Theres been a 40+ year assault on black labor by illegals and you want black people to not say anything?

Why are you so afraid to discuss all the illegals?

And what do you do if an illegal immigrant lies about their status? Most of the people arrested at this chicken factory committed IDENTITY FRAUD.

Because per article you posted it is pretty easy to check there status but these businesses don't.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Because per article you posted it is pretty easy to check there status but these businesses don't.
If you lie on your paperwork, the government can't hold companies that accountable.

Read the article again:

Jere Miles, a special agent in charge with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, recently told a congressional committee that the Mississippi raids would deter future illegal immigration. He also said the authorities discovered 400 instances of identity theft that had been perpetrated against legal United States residents. The conservative columnist Henry Olsen, citing high poverty rates and low incomes in the area, argued that the undocumented Mississippi workers were taking jobs from Americans.

:ufdup:

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
No blame for the people who hire these illegals. This raid was done on a business that is own by the koch family. They are Republicans yet one of there business hired a bunch of illegal immigrants.
:jbhmm:

This business is not associated with the famous conservative Koch Brothers that most people think of.

The name is just a coincidence.

The owners may be republicans but there is no relation.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I found jobs and interviewed in other states. Came up on a TEMP job in GA paying $13.50 in 2005. Left Memphis and got a roommate. Continued my job search for 6 months after until I found another permanent job paying better. That led me to Chicago for 2 years. I loved Georgia, so I found yet another job and moved back. Took my ass to community college here and got a decent job. Been here ever since. It's had its highs and lows, but now I'm doing fantastic.

Did it on my own. I ain't have shyt, but I wasn't scared to go out and be a man. I wanted better and eventually I got it.

Who stays in a state where the only prospect of making it is through a modern day cotton field? :dahell:
This is not feasible.
While you were able to get the fukk on, if every black man and women in states like MS and AR left to do what you did, then many would just end up broke in the state/city they migrated to. There’s simply not enough high paying jobs. It’s probably better for the majority to stay and fight to improve the conditions back home.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Do you people not realize over 50% of Americans make less than 30K a year? This is a premium job now in Trump's America.

This is not feasible.
While you were able to get the fukk on, if every black man and women in states like MS and AR left to do what you did, then many would just end up broke in the state/city they migrated to. There’s simply not enough high paying jobs. It’s probably better for the majority to stay and fight to improve the conditions back home.

Why leave? Theres jobs RIGHT THERE

:wow:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...d-immigrants-take-jobs-americans-heres-proof/

Jasper County, the location of one of the plants owned by Peco Foods, is a case in point. Jasper’s unemployment rate this June was 7.4 percent, more than twice the national average. A majority-black county, Jasper County has a median household income of only about $35,000 and a 23.8 percent poverty rate. Those who live there need those jobs, but the employer’s alleged scheme denied them that basic chance.

The other plant locations have similar demographics. Canton, Miss., is nearly 70 percent African American, with a 31.4 percent poverty rate for blacks. Scott County is 38 percent black, has a median household income of around $33,000 and a poverty rate more than 21 percent. Leake County is 42 percent black, has a median household income just under $36,000 and a poverty rate of nearly 22 percent. Pelahatchie, a town in Rankin County, is 40 percent black with a median income of just $35,000. Sense a pattern?

:wow:

@Raymond Burrr @Red Shield @Michael's Black Son @Trajan @Sukairain @YouMadd? @Basil of Baker Street @SupremexKing @#1 pick @Clutch Robinson @Cat piss martini @AndroidHero @Pirius Black @ba'al @panopticon @johnedwarduado @SJUGRAD13

Last edited:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
new? :rudy:

Black democrats used to universally be against illegal immigration because they knew it undercut them.

Democrat Representative Barbara Jordan in 1995:

Coetta Scott King wrote letters to congress almost 30 years ago about this.

the disrespect you have for black labor is astonishing.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/cor...n-because-she-saw-it-hurt-black-labor.687486/

The Forgotten Letter of Coretta Scott King | HuffPost

huffingtonpost.com
The Forgotten Letter of Coretta Scott King
5-6 minutes
In any age of rapidly changing political and partisan perspectives, it is perhaps well to remember how the immigration debate was originally framed back in 1986 when the Reagan/Bush Amnesty plan, put forth to placate the demands of Corporate America for cheap labor, was first enacted. Ignored at the time were the protests which began as early as 1969, when Cesar Chavez and members of the United Farm Workers marched with the Reverend Ralph Abernathy and U.S. Senator Walter Mondale to the border with Mexico to demand the cessation of employers’ practice of importing illegal labor as a means of cutting wages and reducing thousands of their workers to the most grinding poverty.

The government’s response to such protests and demands for economic justice? In the 1980s at a time when African American teenage unemployment approached a disgraceful 80 percent, Big Business cynically petitioned the INS for more visas for cheap foreign labor on grounds that there was an “unskilled labor shortage”. They largely got what they demanded. While Democrats courageously resisted such blatant attempts to lower the wages of legal Hispanic and African Americans, Reagan Amnesty apologists claimed that Americans wouldn’t stoop to perform the “dirty work” that only illegal workers would perform, ignoring the obvious fact that unemployed legal workers gladly and gratefully collect garbage and work in the coal mines if decent wages were paid.

In fact the pleas for economic justice in America were made many years before by the great African American educator, Booker T. Washington, who made his famous “cast down your bucket where you are” speech at the Atlanta International Exposition in 1895. Having recognized the racist and notorious practice of Big Business of importing and hiring cheap immigrant labor in order to avoid hiring African Americans, Washington pleaded: (T)o those (of you) who look to the incoming of those of foreign birth, cast down your bucket where you are. (If you but do so) we shall stand by you with a devotion that no foreigner can approach, ready to interlace our industrial, commercial, civil and religious life with yours.”

It should be no surprise, therefore, that these demands for economic justice were taken up by the wife of Martin Luther King, who in 1991 joined with eight CEO’s of America’s leading African American organizations to oppose Republican Senator Orin Hatch’s bill to do away with sanctions against employers who persisted in hiring illegal aliens as a means of discriminating and reducing the wages of against African Americans.

“We are concerned, Senator Hatch” Coretta Scott King wrote in her now largely forgotten letter, “That your proposed remedy…will cause another problem—the revival of …discrimination against black and brown U.S. documented workers, in favor of cheap labor.”

Given the success of Big Business in lobbying the U.S. government to ignore these pleas for economic justice — on grounds of “humanitarianism” no less — it is perhaps the ultimate irony that this success has translated also in flipping the partisan narrative to the point where even legal immigrants have been tricked into adopting the Reagan/Bush agenda against their own economic interest under the ideological banner of the party that for decades opposed it.

But there may now be signs of enlightenment by those who have been most oppressed by the Reagan/Bush agenda. In 2014, by a strong majority of 53 percent, male Latinos voted for the Texas Republican Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, who had promised to stop the notorious practice of luring illegal immigrants—even little children— to their deaths in the desert with such promises as amnesty, and in-state-tuition.

And so, gradually the tide may be turning in Booker T. Washington’s and Coretta Scott King’s demand for economic justice. Even in Germany today, where Merkel basked in the “humanitarian” glow of luring hundreds of thousands un-vetted illegal immigrants with promises of cash rewards (but no jobs, of course), the spectacle of teeming throngs of desperate young males being herded into the most degrading “refugee” camps, or worse showered with useless “vouchers,” may be finally revealing to the world the immorality of luring people from their homes, families, and culture for little more than the political aggrandizement of the politicians who created it. The tragedy, of course, is that the billions spent on such self-defeating endeavors could have been instead been spent on providing safety and economic help in zones created for their protection in the home countries.

In America, no true reform can ever come until the most demagogic politicians cease their deliberate obfuscation of the difference between legal and illegal immigration, and begin streamlining the procedures for legal immigration, which is now so difficult that relatively few can navigate or afford it. When this is done, any wall built will always have doors.

giphy.gif

Illegal immigration has been weaponized to a degree never seen before. It’s has been turned into an issue that’s designed to invoke visceral reaction of “alien” invaders at our gates.

Trump used it beautifully to catapult himself into the White House. You are trying to use it right now to drive hatred of immigrants on this forum. For what purpose, I’m not sure. Maybe you think this posture will earn you props from the militants who constantly call you a “smelly Indian”. Maybe acceptance in a anonymous msg board is all you are sadly after.

But you conveniently leave out any criticism of those doing the hiring and providing opportunities for people to travel thousands of miles from their homeland.