i know Boyz N The Hood came out 25 years ago but this movie lowkey got me fukked up

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
it wasnt till recently i found out that the hughes brothers are biracial with a white mom...and they made sure to include that line calling black women bytches...:mjpls:

jz9s3t.jpg
Umm Hughes didn't do boys in the hood. Stupid nikka

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
notice how Doughboy called black women bytches and hoes. but when Dough macked on that Mexican shorty, he ain't call her bytch :sas2::sas2:

That's a reach

Considering this was John Singleton's view of his neighborhood and you also realize that John Singleton is a woman beater, you understand some of the misogyny in his films

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:patrice:

The only thing I will say about hood movies is they started off as introspective and retrospective then as studios seen money could be made, they started to delved into caricatures of the hood, movies like State Property, I Got the Hook Up, etc

yeah i feel u breh, but looking back on menace, juice, boyz, strapped, south central, above the rim, new jersey drive, etc blacks were heavily hit with these violent stories, as if its the only black story to be told. im not gona deny that there was some truth but i feel like people started living up to these stereotypes. plus the emergence of "gangster rap"....and drugs...and guns flooding the neighborhoods...idk fam.

i also notice that they liked to make it seem like the only way out the hood is thru either music (like q in juice) or sports (like in boyz, or above the rim)

Raheem95

All Star
Daps
yeah i feel u breh, but looking back on menace, juice, boyz, strapped, south central, above the rim, new jersey drive, etc blacks were heavily hit with these violent stories, as if its the only black story to be told. im not gona deny that there was some truth but i feel like people started living up to these stereotypes. plus the emergence of "gangster rap"....and drugs...and guns flooding the neighborhoods...idk fam.

i also notice that they liked to make it seem like the only way out the hood is thru either music (like q in juice) or sports (like in boyz, or above the rim)

but Tre who is the main character made it out through college tho :patrice::patrice:

and he went to Morehouse

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

I don't know, Tre left the hood to go to Morehouse

While Above the Rim was sports based, Kyle's struggle was mostly getting away from Birdie and his gang and Shep's struggle with Nutso's death and his own internal issues

Juice wasn't really about music and they never said if he made it out the hood or not, he was just a passionate DJ, his problem was Bishop going crazy after they did the job

The other problem with this is there were movies like Boomerang coming out around the same time, so you had balance

People at the time loved hood movies because it wasn't a story being told or hadn't been told since the 1970s movies

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

Just like @PhonZhi:mjlol: