i know Boyz N The Hood came out 25 years ago but this movie lowkey got me fukked up

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
damn near all crime hood movies feed into stereotypes
godfather,goodfellas,etc

difference is that young italians arent incarcerated at the same rate as young blacks.

see ya'll have to be consistent. you cant acknowledge the system of racism white supremacy, then turn around and compare blacks to whites as if there are similar consequences for our actions under the same system. as if whites are targeted like blacks.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
ive said it before but im starting to think these hood movies were part of massive social engineering program. :francis:

They are. Especially in the 90s when black folk were super restricted to act in one way or fashion to be "black" and being "real".

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just like @PhonZhi:mjlol:

so tell me what good came out of these movies?

was it teaching blacks to be fearful of each other?
was it reinforcing to non blacks to be fearful of blacks?
did some sort of urban organization step in to try and eradicate the problems that were addressed in these movies on a mass scale?

imo clearly nothing since 20 years later things havent progressed much at all. :francis:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
yeah i feel u breh, but looking back on menace, juice, boyz, strapped, south central, above the rim, new jersey drive, etc blacks were heavily hit with these violent stories, as if its the only black story to be told. im not gona deny that there was some truth but i feel like people started living up to these stereotypes. plus the emergence of "gangster rap"....and drugs...and guns flooding the neighborhoods...idk fam.

i also notice that they liked to make it seem like the only way out the hood is thru either music (like q in juice) or sports (like in boyz, or above the rim)

To this day, if you speak ills about those 90s hood films, you're gonna get shytted on. But those same brehs forget about "Malcolm X" film and so on that portrayed us as great human beings. :sas2:

Raheem95

All Star
Daps

did some sort of urban organization step in to try and eradicate the problems that were addressed in these movies on a mass scale?

imo clearly nothing since 20 years later things havent progressed much at all. :francis:

25 years actually :troll::troll:

but seriously, i liked the gems that Furious was dropping on Tre and i liked Doughboy's speech at the end :ehh::ehh:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Something about lying on your dikk to your pops never sat right with me
I think it was a respect thing. His pops is like the epitome of what being a black man is. And Trey wasn't stupid, being a strong black man probably had women flock to his pops, look at how Ricky and Doughboy's mama was extra thirsty, and even his mama mentioned how she found furious attractive during that dinner scene. Probably felt he had to be a "real man" in the presence of his father.

It also could be that he felt embarrassed to tell his father that he didn't want to get no girls pregnant at 17-18 like his father did, might be thinking he would take it as an insult or something.

Raheem95

All Star
Daps
To this day, if you speak ills about those 90s hood films, you're gonna get shytted on. But those same brehs forget about "Malcolm X" film and so on that portrayed us as great human beings. :sas2:

Malcolm X film is great but way too long

Raheem95

All Star
Daps
I think it was a respect thing. His pops is like the epitome of what being a black man is. And Trey wasn't stupid, being a strong black man probably had women flock to his pops, look at how Ricky and Doughboy's mama was extra thirsty, and even his mama mentioned how she found furious attractive during that dinner scene. Probably felt he had to be a "real man" in the presence of his father.

It also could be that he felt embarrassed to tell his father that he didn't want to get no girls pregnant at 17-18 like his father did, might be thinking he would take it as an insult or something.

in my opinion, i loved the gems that Furious dropped. and you right his pops is the epitome of what being a black man is.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

The good that came from the movies is they allowed us to tell our stories. We were the ones deciding how we would be portrayed. At one point it wasn't possible for John Singleton or Spike Lee to make these movies. You look back at the same era and we also were getting movies like House Party, Meteor Man, Do the Right Thing, and Poetic Justice. We were seeing all different types of black life. 20 years later all we have is slave movies, romantic comedies, and Kevin Hart buddy movies. Culturally I think we've regressed tbh

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
that was one of my favorite things that i liked about Boyz N The Hood, that there was a positive black male role model/father figure

True. That makes he hate Menace II Society that much more. It was all about glorifying that ignorant hood shyt, and trying to clown black power in any form :smh:

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
we aint forgot about Malcolm we're still mad Denzel didn't win for that role