I just found something interesting. No artist under 30 in Rap or RnB is popping like that. Is Gen Z the most talentless generation??

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Things have been on a steady decline since the 70's

Stevie wrote Innervisions when he was barely old enough to drink and that album is a masterpiece

OC03ODM3LmpwZWc.jpeg

With each generation the artisty gets thinner and thinner, they losing the recipes.
Breh, Rakim wrote this when he was 14.....

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Someone posted an article how the new generation is listening to more 70s, 80s and 90s music because they can’t stand the fake ass new shyt today.
i don't think late Zoomers are listening to more 70s, 80s, and 90s music because of any issue with contemporary music, particularly when contemporary music is remarkably popular.

are taylor swift, sza, olivia rodrigo, charlie xcx, morgan wallen, travis scott, drake, billie eilish, post malone and metro boomin not all going platinum?

i doubt this article actually provides any comparison to previous generational listening patterns, in part because of the rapid changes in listening format that is virtually impossible to accurately compare (physical purchase versus consumption via radio and televsion, versus streaming and listening via internet applications, versus combinations of these + pirating)

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
:mjlol:
Obviously you don't know the difference between Billboard #1 and R&B #1.
I do, but that's besides the point.....

Note the FIRST entry.

:umad:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is it that they’re not popping? Or your algorithm is filtering out shyt for kids?
definitely the latter: there are plenty of popular young artists that I don't hear because I'm not 17 anymore

its like the delay in me hearing nba youngboy, lil baby, gunna, sahbabii, uzi, yachty, a boogie, current Dirk, and other young artists

The True HD

Billionaire
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Loudy | 🇯🇲
As an entertainment executive myself, I consider all these different perspectives.

Personally I believe Social Media has altered the concept of age as it relates to success/relevancy, with the "viral ingredient" what's going to pop will pop regardless of the age of the person releasing it.

I used to be pressed to try and get on in my early 20s but was never consistent in taking the proper steps, now with the concept of "Mastery" & the Net I realize divine timing is everything, that it took me experiencing things & evolving into who I am to create my story. But to each his own...

I know my entertainment will be a breath of fresh air for the youth & older crowd alike. I start releasing in February.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Missy never had a Billboard #1 hit. Meagan has had several.

Plus Missy has way more albums so comparing albums makes zero sense. Megan has 3, Missy has 6. In order for it to make sense we'd have to wait for Megan to drop 3 more albums to compare.
Also....I didn't compare albums, like you did, I compared eras and Megan in this era is as big as Missy was in the 20000's.
Megan has 3 number 1 hits, 2 of them featured bigger artist than megan and the other one was a viral diss song. She's barely a gold artist.

Missy excelled in an era where hip hop wasn't as mainstream, the competition was much tighter, and female rappers didn't have the same success as their male peers.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
I do, but that's besides the point.....

No it's not....:russ:

But notice you keep pulling up Hip Hop and R&B but you can't pull up 1 Billboard #1 by Missy because she never had one and Megan had 3

What you are doing right now is being fake and reaching because as long as The Coli has existed, an albums success is determined by that Billboard 200 and a singles success is determined by that Billboard 100

No one has ever popped champagne over toppingf an R&B chart or a Hip Hop cart. The standard has alwas been Billboard 200 and Billboard 100 and you just admitted it but started juelzing talking about that's besides the point. Ha!

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Megan has 3 number 1 hits, 2 of them featured bigger artist than megan and the other one was a viral diss song. She's barely a gold artist.

And Missys biggest hits were also features. You aren't making a good comparison.

Missy excelled in an era where hip hop wasn't as mainstream, the competition was much tighter, and female rappers didn't have the same success as their male peers.

:duck:

Lies Lies Lies. Hip Hop was very mainstream when Missy was popping. Lauryn Hill kicked that door down something fierce before Missys 2nd album. Missy had her own TV show, the one were she was sucking a different colored lolipop every episode. Wasn't too many male rappers that had their own tv show. And Missy was literally the top female rapper in the game next to Lauryn and Eve, stop lying.

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My 15 year old daughter listens to Lauryn Hill, Hiatus Koyote, Silk Sonic, Patrice Rushen, K-pop, Japanese R&B

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
No it's not....:russ:

But notice you keep pulling up Hip Hop and R&B but you can't pull up 1 Billboard #1 by Missy because she never had one and Megan had
That WAS Billboard #1......for 18 weeks.......something you said she didn't have....

Screenshot-2024-07-11-17-12-41-292-com-brave-browser.jpg

What you are doing right now is being fake and reaching because as long as The Coli has existed, an albums success is determined by that Billboard 200 and a singles success is determined by that Billboard 100
What you are doing now is lying and moving the goalpost since your assertion was demonstrably false. What you're not understanding is the whole scene changed from 24 years ago and a rap or RnB album's success wasn't determined by Billboard charts. That's an entire fabrication you made-up, there, chief, but doesn't fly for those of us there to see/experience it in clubs/parties/the radio.

Megan's competition is NOTHING like Missy's was.

Last edited:

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
i don't think late Zoomers are listening to more 70s, 80s, and 90s music because of any issue with contemporary music, particularly when contemporary music is remarkably popular.

are taylor swift, sza, olivia rodrigo, charlie xcx, morgan wallen, travis scott, drake, billie eilish, post malone and metro boomin not all going platinum?

i doubt this article actually provides any comparison to previous generational listening patterns, in part because of the rapid changes in listening format that is virtually impossible to accurately compare (physical purchase versus consumption via radio and televsion, versus streaming and listening via internet applications, versus combinations of these + pirating)

Funny thing is only two of those artists you mentioned are under 30, Gen Z is trash at making music for the most part

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
And Missys biggest hits were also features. You aren't making a good comparison.
You're the one who brought up hits to compare, not me. That's a retarded comparison because hip hop was still being gate kept in that era, only eminem got played outside of dedicated hip hop programs and radio stations.
Lies Lies Lies. Hip Hop was very mainstream when Missy was popping. Lauryn Hill kicked that door down something fierce before Missys 2nd album. Missy had her own TV show, the one were she was sucking a different colored lolipop every episode. Wasn't too many male rappers that had their own tv show. And Missy was literally the top female rapper in the game next to Lauryn and Eve, stop lying.
You're full of shyt. Lauren Hill didn't kick any doors down, she was a rare exception to the rule. They were still fighting for recognition in the music industry.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“Stardom” is completely different since streaming tho. It’s hard to find an artist who debuted after 2015/16 who became the level of star that people like Katy Perry, Taylor swift, drake, etc are/were due to how people consume music. Rod Wave is big and pretty successful for that gen and most people 30/32+ don’t know a song from him, same with these pop stars, Olivia Rodrigo is not touching the widespread popularity someone like Fergie had.

All that said, they are also trash and making such terrible music. Like how tf are 4batz and Hxncho a thing?
@ISO posted this in another thread. My 1st thought was artists not considering how they will play live will hurt the brand & overall fanbase

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
What you are doing now is moving the goalpost​

I'm going to end this back and forth because you said I'm moving goal posts when u originally quoted me saying Megan doesn't have the competition Missy had so her having #1's isn't impressive. You started off comparing the competition of the eras but now you are going back and forth playing dumb about which charts are which and then claimed I'm moving the goalpost. :snoop:

I'm done. You started off juelzing and that's all you been doing. You can quote me all u want I wont respond back.