i can't figure out quite why religious folk regardless of their upbringing...

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Once I saw the thread topic I knew who would have the most posts in this thread.

:snoop:

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
It's great you guys are linking all these "what happens when you die videos"

Tell me when you get to the bottom of this, because humans have been trying to figure out that lil part since the beginning of human evolution ..

I'm sure YouTube has the answers

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
lol @ you're youtube video. How do you understand enough about consciousness when we barely understand the vehicle for consciousness... aka the mind? The greatest minds in the world are still in debate about what consciousness even is... let alone the details and rules about it's existence.

Don't worry breh, it's not your fault that the internet has lead foolish people to believe that atheism = superb intelligence and automatic authority/ expert on every subject on this planet.

Consciousness: What Neuroscience Can Teach Us | Mind and Brain | LiveScience

What Happens to Consciousness When We Die: Scientific American

Either way, the point of the thread isn't consciousness.. it's about death and misconceptions and lack of understanding about what religious people feel. % wise the amount of religious people who want to live forever is = to the atheist and trans humanist who desire the same thing. We blast religion for ideological differences, when in reality The original question shows a lack of understanding about theological viewpoints- more so, than a lack of understanding by religious people of energy and/or physical death.

I'm going to put this as simply as possible:

You can't experience "consciousness" without a brain.

There is no external consciousness.

You can take drugs to impact your brains chemistry and give you a different perception of consciousness, but that consciousness does NOT exist outside of your brain.

You're trying to use more words to sus out an argument you don't understand.

I have a degree in this stuff. All you do is google little quips and pull out sentences of articles written for the masses that you barely understand.

And for your sake, these debates are only trying to normalize consciousness and trying to describe what baseline consciousness is, not what it is.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Resent the idea that when we die, out bodies return to whence it came and the energy within us simply seeps into eternity. no suffering, no paradise, no memory, just simple non-existence, all you are at that point is a collection of memories in the still existing minds of those who knew you. why is fading into obscurity such a horrible thing to them?

Also, lets keep the trolling and flame wars at a minimal please

Not all religions believe in that fukkery. You probably mean christians.

With that said, I think it has to do with their own fear of the end of their existence, When you are desperate you will believe anything that appeals and soothes that fear.

I was raised catholic which is (i guess) the original version of Christianity from which all the other spun-off of. There you have all kinds of crazy shyt like purgatory before heaven and all that nonsense. All the other "Christians" have since created their own religions removing various layers of the core catholic beliefs from their version but they hanging on tight to the after life aspect. :heh:

Edit: i didnt necessarily expressed my thoughts in the clearest way in this post but I hope you get the point.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

You can't be religious if you don't follow a religion. No ifs ands or buts. If the name itself didnt tell you enough about that then you are really delusional.

False.

You're still dogmatic because you're making claims that aren't substantiated AND also claims about the existence of some deity/supernatural entity/whatever you believe in.

It doesn't have to have 100 members to be considered a religion.

That fact that you would even call me of all people religious shows how warped your views on religion are.

My views on religion COULD be applied to nationalism, if you really want to go there.

Deism is based on a god that would not intervene with a world even now which I believe otherwise so you miss me with that its called deism claim.

Whether or not god intervenes doesn't matter. Some of the most famous or foundational deists believed that god DID intervene from time to time. Everyone from Aquinas through the most famous names in the enlightenment.

Deism is just a PC term for: I'm religious and I believe in my own special god but I don't like being called religious. :troll:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
It's great you guys are linking all these "what happens when you die videos"

Tell me when you get to the bottom of this, because humans have been trying to figure out that lil part since the beginning of human evolution ..

I don't claim to know.

Religious people do.

Thats the problem.

We can prove what happens to you when you die. There are billions of examples.

Its the claims that religious people make BEYOND that, that gets people riled up.

Daps
Resent the idea that when we die, out bodies return to whence it came and the energy within us simply seeps into eternity. no suffering, no paradise, no memory, just simple non-existence, all you are at that point is a collection of memories in the still existing minds of those who knew you. why is fading into obscurity such a horrible thing to them?

Also, lets keep the trolling and flame wars at a minimal please

Same reason religion exists in the first place. The world's too fukking crazy and so is non-existence.

What's funny is, many religious folk are so persistent about their faith because they're insecure about it. Like the low-self-esteem person who shows a strong front to hide their issues, they try to reinforce their doubt by forcing what they suspect is untrue onto other people.

If you think about it for real religious is completely crazy and anyone who considers theirs to be an absolute truth is nuts.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to put this as simply as possible:

You can't experience "consciousness" without a brain.

There is no external consciousness.

You can take drugs to impact your brains chemistry and give you a different perception of consciousness, but that consciousness does NOT exist outside of your brain.

You're trying to use more words to sus out an argument you don't understand.

I have a degree in this stuff. All you do is google little quips and pull out sentences of articles written for the masses that you barely understand.

And for your sake, these debates are only trying to normalize consciousness and trying to describe what baseline consciousness is, not what it is.

My point was that we don't understand these things... or hardly understand it - you can't debate that.

My other point is that you were off topic as far as the thread is concerned and you don't understand theology - you can't debate that.

And I'm not concerned about your degree. So far, all I know is that you believe that scientist write things for 'the masses' and keep other views secret for geniuses like yourself. And I've also learn that you can't stay on topic and you don't understand religious viewpoints pertaining to energy, death, and consciousness.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
False.

You're still dogmatic because you're making claims that aren't substantiated AND also claims about the existence of some deity/supernatural entity/whatever you believe in.

It doesn't have to have 100 members to be considered a religion.

My views on religion COULD be applied to nationalism, if you really want to go there.

Whether or not god intervenes doesn't matter. Some of the most famous or foundational deists believed that god DID intervene from time to time. Everyone from Aquinas through the most famous names in the enlightenment.

Deism is just a PC term for: I'm religious and I believe in my own special god but I don't like being called religious. :troll:
I don't present my opinion as facts so I'm not dogmatic.

My opinion can't be considered a religion even if others believe it when it is just a guess made from us creating things ourselves. Its not "supernatural" in any way.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
My point was that we don't understand these things... or hardly understand it - you can't debate that.

We DO understand these things.

There are things we can prove: Like what we observe happening to dead people

Then there are things we can't prove: like bull shyt proclamations religions make about the afterlife etc.

My other point is that you were off topic as far as the thread is concerned and you don't understand theology - you can't debate that.
"theology" isn't complex. its just evasion and sidestepping done by pseudointellectual bloviating characters who try to make their religion more relevant to their contemporaries than it really is. Its a form of mental gymnastics to reconcile what you know to be obviously false and essentially fukkery through and through to make it seem like its more legitimate than it is.

its a farce. All theologians can get debated when i'm half awake. They're all charlatans and equally useless.

And I'm not concerned about your degree. So far, all I know is that you believe that scientist write things for 'the masses' and keep other views secret for geniuses like yourself.

I didn't say scientists write things for the masses. I'm talking about science journalism. Keep up. :whoo:

Its the same people who write EVERY tag line as "major breakthrough in cancer" :beli:

And I've also learn that you can't stay on topic and you don't understand religious viewpoints pertaining to energy, death, and consciousness.

Because religious people don't have any respectable or even logical views on "energy, death, or consciousness"

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I don't present my opinion as facts so I'm not dogmatic.

You hold those views. They're not just opinions at that point. They're things you're putting forth as representative of how you view the world.

Thats dogma. ESPECIALLY if it involves your brand of your personal "god(s)."

My opinion can't be considered a religion even if others believe it when it is just a guess made from us creating things ourselves. Its not "supernatural" in any way.

It is a religious view.

You're not even guessing.

I don't even guess. I SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW. Thats the difference between me and you.

If thats your guess, it doesn't matter if you think its true or not, you're putting your effort behind that idea.

If you're guessing, then you're trying to assert that what you're saying could MAYBE be true.

You're putting your stock in that idea.

This is PRECISELY why I don't like fukking talking to you in particular.

When you're told EXACTLY and EXPLICITLY and DIRECTLY that you're wrong, you continue to evade responsibility for the fallacies presented to you and start making words up and misrepresenting ideas. And these are things that you're not even presenting a novel interpretation of. Its disgusting and intellectually dishonest.

You're a swarmy debater and an even worse rhetorician.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
They believe in something higher than human comprehension :manny:

Thats a meaningless phrase.

Could there be something like that? Sure. Absolutely.

There could be ANYTHING out there. That doesn't prove jack shyt thuogh.

Does that mean that there actually is? in the christian/muslim/etc sense? Hell no.

Does that mean that they get to pretend like they've proven anything? No.

Religious people LOVE to slide by on the "well its just my thoughts" tip.

OPTiMO

SamsoniteMan
Daps
Reppin
From the Bay to Central CA
Thats a meaningless phrase.

Could there be something like that? Sure. Absolutely.

There could be ANYTHING out there. That doesn't prove jack shyt thuogh.

Does that mean that there actually is? in the christian/muslim/etc sense? Hell no.

Does that mean that they get to pretend like they've proven anything? No.

Religious people LOVE to slide by on the "well its just my thoughts" tip.
You're stomping around this thread like you've proven something as well, which you haven't. Lets all just agree to disagree.