i can't figure out quite why religious folk regardless of their upbringing...

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Funny, because in HL it's the atheist that are hoping that science uses AI and supercomputers along with medicine to make humans live forever......

NubianVitruvian

Retired
Daps
Yeah our egos don't want to accept it but most likely that is what happens. :ehh:

non existence sounds so :lawd:
The ego is fear, it's afraid of that. Life is as close to forever I ever want to get. Let me die and sleep. No Edo Tensei

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Because oblivion is a scary thing, at least at an emotional level. Logically one shouldn't fear being dead(as opposed to the act of dying itself, which can be...unpleasant). We were dead billions of years before we were born and we didn't suffer one bit, as the saying goes. But humans are emotional/instinctive rather than rational.

Even as an atheist, though I don't believe in an afterlife and I can rationally accept that I shouldn't fear death, I still find the thought of oblivion scary to contemplate under normal circumstances. It's my animal side, so to speak. All life, from humans to unicellular organisms, is programmed/hardwired to...live. To continue living as long as you can, and procreate. Death happens because our cells fail, not because of some biological directive to call it quits and stop living. It therefore stands to reason that anything that is alive instinctively "fears" death, humans included.

And that is why theists fear non-existence. We all do on an instinctual level, to an extent or another. The difference is that atheists acknowledge non-existence at an intellectual level(even as they fear it instinctively), where as theists refuse to.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Better question to me is no matter how much people say they want to go to heaven and how great it must be, they still don't want to die to get there. And they don't want old ass people to die to go there either. Nelson Mandela, icon, great man.....Christians are praying he makes it. Kinda selfish imo.
As the GOAT says

Everybody wants heaven but nobody wants dead
Everybody wants diamonds without the bloodshed

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps

Couple that with the crushing social and economic disparities many poor and uneducated people face, who are overwhelmingly religious, they think that since their present lives suck SO much on earth, that there MAY...just MAY BE something awaiting them.

This right here is one of the reasons I dislike those atheists who like to rub it in about how they're sooooooooo much smarter than people who believe in God :rudy:

There are millions of people all over the world living shytty lives, poor as hell and only barely able to feed themselves and their family. Pretty much the only thing that gives them the will to see another day is the belief of a God that is watching over them, and who will someday reward them for their faith.....if not in this life, then the next. Why the fukk would you try to take that away from those people? Why try to clown them? Just believe what you want, and STFU about everyone else

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Better question to me is no matter how much people say they want to go to heaven and how great it must be, they still don't want to die to get there. And they don't want old ass people to die to go there either. Nelson Mandela, icon, great man.....Christians are praying he makes it. Kinda selfish imo.

Bible-loophole-technically-its-not-suicide.jpg

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Becoming a non-religious theist opened myself to a whole new way of thinking that helped me embrace the fact that once I die I will decompose and return to the universe.

Theres no such thing and you can't keep making up words to make yourself feel better.

1. Its called Deism.

2. You're just as religious. You just don't adopt any tenets of larger religions, but you still make theistic claims.

I keep telling you this.

Your view on "theism" IS shaped by experiences you've had with other religions.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
We actually don't know enough about the human brain or consciousness to make umad statements about it.....

but anyway, point is- op was incorrect regardless of ur trolling.

We DO know enough about consciousness.

Its not my fault they don't make introductory neuroscience a requirement in schools now. :snoop:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwnqDvlXqI‎]Sam Harris vs. Deepak Chopra (debate): Consciousness and the Brain - YouTube[/ame]

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This right here is one of the reasons I dislike those atheists who like to rub it in about how they're sooooooooo much smarter than people who believe in God :rudy:

I AM smarter than people who believe in god. I make no mistakes about it.

I'm not playing games with religious people about their little tales.

Believe it if you want, but don't tell me I have to respect it or defend it.

There are millions of people all over the world living shytty lives, poor as hell and only barely able to feed themselves and their family. Pretty much the only thing that gives them the will to see another day is the belief of a God that is watching over them, and who will someday reward them for their faith.....if not in this life, then the next. Why the fukk would you try to take that away from those people? Why try to clown them? Just believe what you want, and STFU about everyone else

Because I care whats true, real, or valid.

Nothing is to be gained about how you move about IN THIS WORLD AND HOW YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE TODAY by expecting a reward when you die.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Funny, because in HL it's the atheist that are hoping that science uses AI and supercomputers along with medicine to make humans live forever......

Non-sequitur.

Atheism is only one thing: The lack of belief in a god.

What you do with life, what opinions you have, or what choices you make are THEREFORE up to you.

in fact, here is one atheist who doesn't really want us to live forever:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeWBlKYOvw[/ame]

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
We DO know enough about consciousness.

Its not my fault they don't make introductory neuroscience a requirement in schools now. :snoop:

Sam Harris vs. Deepak Chopra (debate): Consciousness and the Brain - YouTube

lol @ you're youtube video. How do you understand enough about consciousness when we barely understand the vehicle for consciousness... aka the mind? The greatest minds in the world are still in debate about what consciousness even is... let alone the details and rules about it's existence.

Don't worry breh, it's not your fault that the internet has lead foolish people to believe that atheism = superb intelligence and automatic authority/ expert on every subject on this planet.

The nature of consciousness has intrigued philosophers and scientists for thousands of years. But can modern neuroscience ever hope to crack this mysterious phenomenon? Human brains suffer from a "cognitive gap" in understanding their own consciousness
Consciousness: What Neuroscience Can Teach Us | Mind and Brain | LiveScience

How does consciousness cause matter to materialize? We are not told. Where (and how) did consciousness exist before there was matter? We are left wondering. As far as I can tell, all the evidence points in the direction of brains causing mind, but no evidence indicates reverse causality. This whole line of reasoning, in fact, seems to be based on something akin to a God of the gaps argument, where physicalist gaps are filled with nonphysicalist agents, be they omniscient deities or conscious agents. Because we know for a fact that measurable consciousness dies when the brain dies, until proved otherwise, the default hypothesis must be that brains cause consciousness. I am, therefore I think.
What Happens to Consciousness When We Die: Scientific American

Either way, the point of the thread isn't consciousness.. it's about death and misconceptions and lack of understanding about what religious people feel. % wise the amount of religious people who want to live forever is = to the atheist and trans humanist who desire the same thing. We blast religion for ideological differences, when in reality The original question shows a lack of understanding about theological viewpoints- more so, than a lack of understanding by religious people of energy and/or physical death.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Non-sequitur.

Atheism is only one thing: The lack of belief in a god.

What you do with life, what opinions you have, or what choices you make are THEREFORE up to you.

in fact, here is one atheist who doesn't really want us to live forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeWBlKYOvw
I agree w the points.. but if you feel my point was Non-sequitur then you missed out on the other comments made since Sohh.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Theres no such thing and you can't keep making up words to make yourself feel better.

1. Its called Deism.

2. You're just as religious. You just don't adopt any tenets of larger religions, but you still make theistic claims.

I keep telling you this.

Your view on "theism" IS shaped by experiences you've had with other religions.
You can't be religious if you don't follow a religion. No ifs ands or buts. If the name itself didnt tell you enough about that then you are really delusional.

That fact that you would even call me of all people religious shows how warped your views on religion are.

Deism is based on a god that would not intervene with a world even now which I believe otherwise so you miss me with that its called deism claim.