Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
I have the mesh bags they used when cooking the broth

but Ive never been able to make a good pho

cant get that broth taste right

I start with a good beef stock. I roast off all the bones and veggies till they got that nice brown char on them. Not burnt. Once I get the stock going I let it go for a good two days. Making sure to skim the fat off the top every hour or so. I keep the flame almost as low as it will go but not all the way. I put the side of the pot over flame. Not in the center of the pot. This makes the fat go to the side that is not over the flame and makes it easier to skim.

Once the stock is made i strain it through a chinois into a clean pot. I take some of the bones from the stock and place in there as well. I also add the beef chuck chunks at this point(make sure to boil before adding to stock - this will help keep the stock from getting cloudy. Bring it to a boil and add the charred ginger, onion, about 3 tablespoons of sugar, and fish sauce. Start slow with the fish sauce and go until it gets the desidered taste. Lower down heat and simmer on low for about an hour and a half. Add the star anise and cloves to the water for at least a half hour. Add a tablespoon of sea salt. At this point the broth should done and should have that desired flavor.

Side note: Pull the beef chuck chunks when they have reached desired tenderness and run under tap water to let cool down and slice at that point. Usually this is about the 40 minute mark.

If you need the rest on how to prepare i can go into more detail, but I just wanted to give you an idea on how to get that broth.

The key to vietnamese cooking is highlighting the beef flavor. I try to keep it as simple as possible.

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
I love cheese but those prices...

I go to a local deli that sells the ends(part left after slicing) in bags really cheap

one bag has different cheeses in it

Cheese prices are crazy. I don’t know about where you are from, but here we have a store called the Grocery Outlet. They always have cheap cheese. Some of that stuff would normally run you about $10/lb. They usually don’t have anything over $5/lb. I just bought me a 2 year old aged white cheddar. Paid $2.49 for a half pound for some of the richest cheddar cheese I’ve ever had. I love that store. I got me a 2 pound box of risotto for only 99 cents. 1 liter bottles of EVOO for only $5.99. And some aged wines for a fraction of the cost of cheap store brands. The most I pay for wine is like $3.99 and I’m talking about special reserves and estate grown bottles. :noah: :win:

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
You gotta cook it for a while (a day would be ideal) and make sure you have enough spices in there. Here's the base recipe that I use but I add garlic to mine and I adjust the amount of spices based on my taste (I add a bit more star anise, ginger, cinnamon sticks, and whole cloves). I also use beef bones with marrow to go along with the oxtail.

Beef Pho Recipe - Allrecipes.com

If you need the rest on how to prepare i can go into more detail, but I just wanted to give you an idea on how to get that broth.

The key to vietnamese cooking is highlighting the beef flavor. I try to keep it as simple as possible.

wow I didnt even want to respond to the first post when I saw it cause it made me feel dumb
:pachaha:

I thought the broth was just like making some soup minus the vegetables, noodles and meats

as in basically spices cooked in water for awhile and then adding the hot broth to precooked dry noodles and vegetables

I think I looked up a pho recipe once and it was similar, plus the restaurant I eat pho at adds broth to a plate full of uncooked meat, noodles and vegetables

Ive gained a new respect towards pho and dont think Ill be trying to make it anytime soon

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Went with Philly Cheese Steaks tonight. Never had the real thing but this is my rendition. I used choice cuts of rib eye and cheddar cheese and cheese wiz. And for the side a plain bag of Lays.

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
habichuelas? Ive never seen a pastelon like that, whats in it?

is the bean the replacement for the meat in the layers?

Yea that's black beans mixed with sazón, tomato sauce, onions and a some olives. I could have used a ground beef meat replacement but the beans were good.

HarlemsOwn

RIP Fresh
Daps
@Token Come Here Guhhhh

Come Let Us Know Ya Hot Pocket Recipe

Lord Knows The Microwave Is Ya Bestie

:pachaha:

Last edited by a moderator:

HarlemsOwn

RIP Fresh
Daps
im tryna make some mac and cheese