Essential I Be Cooking!: Post a Pic of What You're Cooking Thread

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
You meant Canned beans right?

Also, I been wondering what was the difference between Red Beans & Rice and Jamaican Peas & Rice.

This. I recently ordered food from a local Jamaican restaurant. The Rice & Peas were just bland AF to me. I would've just been way better off making some Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice instead.

Tinned equals canned.

Good and really flavourful rice and peas is cooked over a wood fire or bbq grill over hot coals. If I can, I always try to do it over hot coals. That smoky taste is hard to replicate, you can try to add the smokey bacon or smoked turkey wings or liquid smoke to replicate the taste.

When you go to a West Indian restaurant they are cooking in bulk with not nearly enough care so it's just not as nice. They wdnt add little extras to enhance flavour like you would do at home.

Another key to making good rice and peas is the pepper. To be honest habenero is not the pepper to use; a scotch bonnet peppers is what you need but I hardly find them in the UK, most shops selling habenero and label them as scotch bonnet. The rice is not supposed to be spicy as in peppery, the scotch bonnet gives a citrusy/fruity flavour to the rice that you can't get with any other pepper. Go to Jamaica and have rice and Peas and see what I'm talking about.

I personally think rice and peas should be made with Basmati rice and no other kind, this to me gives the best texture of rice.

I think the difference between American Red Beans and rice and Jamaican Rice and Peas is the coconut milk. I've never had it but I think coconut milk would change the flavour.

Kidney beans are used to make a few things I'm Jamaica: Red peas soup, made with beef or salted pork, dumplings, yams etc same basic forumula with the kidney beans coconut milk etc.

Stew peas made with salted pigs tails, coconut milk, Kidney beans and dumplings (spinners). This is served over white rice preferably with a slice of Jamaican pear. My favourite meal of all time and I will only accept it from my Daddy.

I also think Ital stew is also made with Kidney beans, once again same basic formula but with no meat or salt.

*In my previous post I forgot to add fresh thyme, this is an integral part of the dish.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
A little something I made today brehs...

9LL4ogR.jpg

5am1AmZ.jpg

UCW47VI.jpg

Cheddar Cheeseburgers & Sauteed Onions on Potato Bread buns & Nathans Crinkle cut fries.... :PantherBless2::banderas:

Last edited:

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
anyone got into meal planing?

Meal-Prep-Monday-Containers.jpg

I just did it this week, not trying to eat healthier just kept forgetting to set some lunch for work

this week I made some differently seasoned chicken breast like in the pic below(not mine)

DSC_0340-81.jpg

this week Im going to move into making breakfast ahead

Oven-Baked-Eggs-Sustaining-the-Powers-4.jpg

none of the pics are mine

raidersreceiver

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Portland, OR

I just did it this week, not trying to eat healthier just kept forgetting to set some lunch for work

this week I made some differently seasoned chicken breast like in the pic below(not mine)

DSC_0340-81.jpg

Every time I make chicken I can't eat it the next day cause it's dry af. What tips do you have breh.

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
Every time I make chicken I can't eat it the next day cause it's dry af. What tips do you have breh.

I dont have any tips, either I've never really had that problem or my dryness tolerance is different from yours

I cooked one in some BBQ sauce which I've never done before and that one was still moist 5 days later

I even had some cold with some salad and even that one was fine

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
made a lasagna in my cast iron skillet :wow:

tried doing it without boiling the noodles and it came out great. cant believe i wasted my time doing it the other way :gucci:
Anyone have instructions for making pasta in the sauce instead of boiling it ahead of time? I'm trying to bake it in a 8x8 baking pan with Penne, Rigatoni, Rotini, or Spaghetti with a 24oz jar of pasta.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Always brine your chicken before cooking it. Add 4 tablespoons of table salt to 4 cups of water and stir the water until the salt dissolves. Put the chicken in the water and put it in the fridge for a minimum of 90 minutes (you can do it overnight if you want). Take the chicken out rinse it off, then season it however. Dont add salt because the brine salted the chicken already.

It'll be the moistest peice of meat you've ever had in your mouth :dame:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

DSC_0340-81.jpg

I just started doing food prep and I love it. It's mad convenient and it helps you save a lot of money. I usually make about 15 meals every time I prep. I'll take pictures next time I do it.