Essential I Be Cooking!: Post a Pic of What You're Cooking Thread

FLYINHAWAIIAN

Vegan For a Reason
Daps
Reppin
Hawaii/Houston
any of ya'll mess with cast iron skillets? i got this set a few years ago and i love it. i got the whole set for 65 but now its 115 on amazon.

jrpg9g.jpg

i use these things for pretty much everything. buttermilk pancakes from scratch on the flat skillet. cornbread from scratch in the deep skillet. I've made lasagna in it, roasted/fried chicken,rib eye, fish. pretty much everything. it distributes the heat evenly so everything cooks well. only thing i dont use them for are boiling or sauces.

I hope you seasoned your skillets first.
Lotta us just buy a skillet and use it
:ufdup:

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
made a lasagna in my cast iron skillet :wow:

tried doing it without boiling the noodles and it came out great. cant believe i wasted my time doing it the other way :gucci:

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
recipe for red beans?

Ingredients:

1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Coconut Milk
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
1 tbsp Liquid smoke or a peice of smokey bacon
1 tsp of sugar (dependent on quantity)
All spice/pimento
1 whole scotch bonnet or habenero (Do not chop)
Half an onion diced finely
2 cloves garlic
*Use tinned Kidney beans as way more time saving. ** Using dried Kidney beans will add about 2 hours to your cooking time but is always way better.

Add all ingredients to sauce pan and let boil on medium (rolling boil) for about 20 minutes or so stirring occassionally. Season to taste with salt as necessary.

This is the same method to make Jamaican Rice and peas just do the above method first then add washed rice and cover with foil and stick in the oven for about 20 mins on the top shelf. (Yes I said oven. Fight me!)

FLYINHAWAIIAN

Vegan For a Reason
Daps
Reppin
Hawaii/Houston
Ingredients:

1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Coconut Milk
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
1 tbsp Liquid smoke or a peice of smokey bacon
1 tsp of sugar (dependent on quantity)
All spice/pimento
1 whole scotch bonnet or habenero (Do not chop)
Half an onion diced finely
2 cloves garlic
*Use tinned Kidney beans as way more time saving. ** Using dried Kidney beans will add about 2 hours to your cooking time but is always way better.

Add all ingredients to sauce pan and let boil on medium (rolling boil) for about 20 minutes or so stirring occassionally. Season to taste with salt as necessary.

This is the same method to make Jamaican Rice and peas just do the above method first then add washed rice and cover with foil and stick in the oven for about 20 mins on the top shelf. (Yes I said oven. Fight me!)

I never had Jamaican rice.

I did go to a Jamaican restaurant and had rice and peas but i doubt it was authentic. Rice was super bland and i had to add habanero sauce to try to give it flavor :scust:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

You meant Canned beans right?

Also, I been wondering what was the difference between Red Beans & Rice and Jamaican Peas & Rice.
I never had Jamaican rice.

I did go to a Jamaican restaurant and had rice and peas but i doubt it was authentic. Rice was super bland and i had to add habanero sauce to try to give it flavor :scust:
This. I recently ordered food from a local Jamaican restaurant. The Rice & Peas were just bland AF to me. I would've just been way better off making some Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice instead.

FLYINHAWAIIAN

Vegan For a Reason
Daps
Reppin
Hawaii/Houston
You meant Canned beans right?

Also, I been wondering what was the difference between Red Beans & Rice and Jamaican Peas & Rice.

This. I recently ordered food from a local Jamaican restaurant. The Rice & Peas were just bland AF to me. I would've just been way better off making some Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice instead.

It was prolly a mexican or white dude cookin it.
:scusthov: