Essential I Be Cooking!: Post a Pic of What You're Cooking Thread

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i don't even know what hamachi is but I want some

cats don't even make regular wraps in this thread:dead:
Hey so your post just happens to be related to a question I have about marinating. Do you (or anybody) poke holes in your meat when marinating? It's seems like no matter how long I marinate it, the flavor never penetrates into the meat. Just this week I marimated some chicken thighs and some boneless pork chops both for about 10 hours. After cooking them I had to throw some salt and hot sauce on them to give some type of flavor. It was really disappointing.

What are you using for marinade? Most ingredients will actually dry out your meats if left on too long. The reality is unless you have a slab of beef or so most meats only need to be marinaded up to 3 hours. People express the ease and convenience of overnight marinading because often who has an extra 1-3 hours to spare. If you work a 9 to 5 get home at 530, marinade the meat for an hour then cook it, you're not eating until 730 8 o clockish if not later.

Poking holes is somewhat of a no, because for chicken and such you need to see when the juices run clear to know when its done in addition to finger testing and using a thermometer however a few holes into a side or bottom of a chicken or steak that you are marinading isnt bad, especially if you sear that side first in my opinion.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
jR8NQBil.jpg

Ribeye, spicy orange shrimp, cauliflower mash w/mascarpone cheese, & asparagus. This was my 1st making or even having hollandaise sauce. Tasted good to me but then I don't know what it's supposed to taste like lol

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
jR8NQBil.jpg

Ribeye, spicy orange shrimp, cauliflower mash w/mascarpone cheese, & asparagus. This was my 1st making or even having hollandaise sauce. Tasted good to me but then I don't know what it's supposed to taste like lol

surf and turf huh? I cant do the shrimp but i fukks with the steak no homo

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
I've read every page of this thread. I'm assuming most posters are black. We need to work on eating less meat. Portion sizes. Expanding into eating more roots, seeds, grains, and nuts. All the plating needs work. But, this isn't work so presentation mean little. I'm happy to see ya'll really cooking balanced meals. The flavors are flat though.

I highly recommend trying Indian and middle eastern flavors. I think they're black friendly. It's different than American cuisine so learning it is tricky. But the food is delicious and beautiful. Also very good for you.

Making soup stock is something everyone should learn to do from scratch. A stock can be used as a brine, a drink, a tenderizer, a sauce, dressing, and marinade. It's cheap asf too. Knife skills make cooking more fun. You have to suffer to get good though. These are my hands after three years of being a cook
IMG_20160214_051133_zpsibpdud6z.jpg

Blisters on top of blisters. I have a callus right where my finger bends. My hands hurt everyday. But you have to sacrifice to make god food from scratch. It was worth it. I'm 5'10 and I weigh 150-155. I eat whatever what I want in small portions and keep it cheap as possible without sacrificing my health.

Chef

All Star
Daps
I've read every page of this thread. I'm assuming most posters are black. We need to work on eating less meat. Portion sizes. Expanding into eating more roots, seeds, grains, and nuts. All the plating needs work. But, this isn't work so presentation mean little. I'm happy to see ya'll really cooking balanced meals. The flavors are flat though.

I highly recommend trying Indian and middle eastern flavors. I think they're black friendly. It's different than American cuisine so learning it is tricky. But the food is delicious and beautiful. Also very good for you.

Making soup stock is something everyone should learn to do from scratch. A stock can be used as a brine, a drink, a tenderizer, a sauce, dressing, and marinade. It's cheap asf too. Knife skills make cooking more fun. You have to suffer to get good though. These are my hands after three years of being a cook
IMG_20160214_051133_zpsibpdud6z.jpg

Blisters on top of blisters. I have a callus right where my finger bends. My hands hurt everyday. But you have to sacrifice to make god food from scratch. It was worth it. I'm 5'10 and I weigh 150-155. I eat whatever what I want in small portions and keep it cheap as possible without sacrificing my health.

Watching a lot of documentaries about factory farming. I don't want my food coming places like those. I've upped the veggies in diet so much, swiss chard and kale. :ohlawd:Over the past year I've been reading about gardening and hunting. Me and my moms are going to make one of those knee high box gardens and plant some greens for the spring and summer. If we had land like that we'd get some chickens and get eggs for the free. :heh:

SeveroDrgnfli

Daps
Reppin
Always
Watching a lot of documentaries about factory farming. I don't want my food coming places like those. I've upped the veggies in diet so much, swiss chard and kale. :ohlawd:Over the past year I've been reading about gardening and hunting. Me and my moms are going to make one of those knee high box gardens and plant some greens for the spring and summer. If we had land like that we'd get some chickens and get eggs for the free. :heh:
They have farm box services that will deliver fresh vegetables weekly to your door. You don't get to pick. They give you whatever they have and description of the veggies and recipes. It's expensive but fun. I'd have some buddies throw money down so you can share it.
You'd get this:
jayohesh1_2013-11-05_08-31-32_zps7ipc2iun.jpg

I did this:
jayohesh1_2013-11-25_13-01-17_zpsuqva7tcu.jpg

A salad can include anything:
jayohesh1_2014-12-11_13-43-52_zpsxw6gmy2s.jpg

Fruit salad a la mister mom:
jayohesh1_2014-11-03_09-09-22_zps7mvvegog.jpg

jayohesh1_2014-11-12_09-09-45_zpslcscqaf6.jpg

Breakfast salad:
jayohesh1_2015-10-03_14-35-09_zpsc6b2mynd.jpg

jayohesh1_2015-04-03_10-18-22_zpsnd6youfo.jpg

If I can make it anybody can.

Last edited:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We need to work on eating less meat. Portion sizes. Expanding into eating more roots, seeds, grains, and nuts.

i generally dont eat portions bigger than the palm of my hand. i like big steaks though n/h. to me cooking is about experimenting and trying new challenges and mastering techniques for instance making a bearnaise isn't like mixing together other sauces but the way it changes a steak even an ordinary steak is amazing.

SeveroDrgnfli

Daps
Reppin
Always
i generally dont eat portions bigger than the palm of my hand. i like big steaks though n/h. to me cooking is about experimenting and trying new challenges and mastering techniques for instance making a bearnaise isn't like mixing together other sauces but the way it changes a steak even an ordinary steak is amazing.
You said something about culinary academy right? Well I work in food production and catering. Lol did you see my hands? There's different lanes in cooking. When you cook for money you often don't get to experiment at work as much as you think because professional cooking is about consistency and perfection.

You should get a job at any level in the industry before you spend any money on school. I'm not trying to discourage you but it's not like top chef man. You can spend that money on a more profitable degree.

Being a chef is some other shyt. They don't use recipes. They see ingredients and create dishes. I'm a cook right now. I follow their recipes and execute the dishes exactly as they want or I don't have a job. It's more like the military than art school.

You should be cooking all your meals and sharpening your pallot. Sometimes I have to eat something and recreate it without a recipe. I went to goodwill and got every cooking book available. I read recipe books all the time. I talk to everyone who cooks about techniques. CA will teach one way to do things. But there are multiple ways to do them.

Decide what you want to cook. A sushi chef has a different set of skills than a baker. A baker has a different set of skills than a prep cook. I cook gourmet organic with a focus on American cuisine. If you look at my photos you see that theme. The french, Japanese, and Italian all have different techniques.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You said something about culinary academy right? Well I work in food production and catering. Lol did you see my hands? There's different lanes in cooking. When you cook for money you often don't get to experiment at work as much as you think because professional cooking is about consistency and perfection.

You should get a job at any level in the industry before you spend any money on school. I'm not trying to discourage you but it's not like top chef man. You can spend that money on a more profitable degree.

Being a chef is some other shyt. They don't use recipes. They see ingredients and create dishes. I'm a cook right now. I follow their recipes and execute the dishes exactly as they want or I don't have a job. It's more like the military than art school.

You should be cooking all your meals and sharpening your pallot. Sometimes I have to eat something and recreate it without a recipe. I went to goodwill and got every cooking book available. I read recipe books all the time. I talk to everyone who cooks about techniques. CA will teach one way to do things. But there are multiple ways to do them.

Decide what you want to cook. A sushi chef has a different set of skills than a baker. A baker has a different set of skills than a prep cook. I cook gourmet organic with a focus on American cuisine. If you look at my photos you see that theme. The french, Japanese, and Italian all have different techniques.

Ive been cooking on my own for about 10 years. Once you learn the basics and then find your palate you don't need cookbooks and shyt, yeah its good for reference but like you said you just recreate. I can make about 10 different recipes for chocolate chip cookies if you put me in a kitchen with all the ingredients and i dont need to look up any measurements or references but I know what I like and what makes the perfect cookie for me.

It took me a while to get to that point though but its about the journey, now that im there ive perfected what I like and recreated it dozens of times. That can be done with everything in the kitchen.

My boy went to culinary school he's the one that sparked the interest in cooking to me. We was young outta high school, cooking burgers this nikka went into the cabinet and was like "you don't have any thyme? no cumin? no paprika?" I was like "What the fukk nikka? We cookin burgers I got beef and bread, and some cheese to throw on the motherfukkers" :snoop: I was young and didn't know shyt. My first apartment 18...a nikka only had what he could afford and back then I was living day to day, week to week, just eat out I wasn't putting work in the kitchen like that. I had some family recipes from mom but I didn't use that approach for everything in the kitchen.