I am Setsuna [Project Setsuna] Out now - Battle system inspired by Chrono Trigger

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
That is what your definition of gauging the quality of a game is about. It is a completely irrelevant feature to even bring up, considering it does not apply or detract anything from said game. A glitch is one thing, but judging a game (in any degree) based on said topic is completely subjective and not worth taking into consideration.

If ppl want to buy it or play it they are more than welcome to.

In 45 minutes I show what happens when you try and retrace your footsteps, go away from the forcefed storyline, select alternate dialogue choices, etc.. and how the game is not well equiped to handle those scenerios. Its incredibly linear. I show how forced the experience is going to be... and that if you go anywhere aside from where it tries to herd you the game might break cause simple things like the invisible walls aren't constructed very well.

Get off a boat? Don't expect to be able to go back on it for example. Its just a prop to move the story straight along, not a real area.

All of that is valuable information to an onlooker considering whether to drop $40.
If they just want the good parts of the game they can watch a trailer. I try and show you what the fake "remember to hit that like button" youtubers never show you.

But again, thats not to say no one should enjoy the game... I just show them what they are getting.
The techniques are dirrvitive and the townfolk are all nameless with few exceptions. They even re-use character models. So it becomes a bland ordeal. And if you go exploring... a glitchy bland ordeal.
:yeshrug:

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
You must not have been paying attn.
I died on purpose to see if it was a legitimate boss or a tutorial boss where you can't die.

In many games there are can't lose fights where the foe can't kill you, or can't win fights where you can't kill the foe (like in breath of fire/chronotrigger).
I didn't even attack it, at all. I just waited to see if it would kill me or if the old man would interveine since he was standing right there. He didn't even comment that you die. So there is no point of him being there... wasted oppritunity.

Thats what gauging the quality of the game is all about. Turn the audio up, I clearly narrate that its intentional.
:stopitslime:

I can tell you don't really game.

Thats why games are on rails nowadays. They herd casual gamers with linear pathing cause they lack initiative. Sign says "go north" so you head north... like there aren't 7 other directions. :palm:

Whatever you say champ :mjlol:

Its a jrpg. You basicaly played the tutorial and call it restrictive. Played about 1% of the game and say it's is linear. But hey if you want to quit before the story even starts that's totally your option :francis:. Your entitled to give your opinion, but when you do so after hardly touching it, it's misleading. That's my only issue

And the townsfolk are nameless because you've never met them before, how would you know their names? And you point at that as a negative.
Even when you meet main characters their name doesn't show up until you find out what their name is

Last edited:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Whatever you say champ :mjlol:

Its a jrpg. You basicaly played the tutorial and call it restrictive. But hey if you want to quit before the story even starts that's totally your option :francis:

And the townsfolk are nameless because you've never met them before, how would you know their names? And you point at that as a negative.

Yep. You clearly don't game.
Thats fine though. Casuals consume more than avids. So for a game like this you are likely the target market.

If you like something, be confident in your choice. Enjoy your rail rpg. No need to keep explaining yourself to me.
The game is broken. Its not my subjective opinion. There is video of it. If you are fine with that... for your 40 dollars then say no more. Its your time/money.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
Yep. You clearly don't game.
Thats fine though. Casuals consume more than avids. So for a game like this you are likely the target market.

If you like something, be confident in your choice. Enjoy your rail rpg. No need to keep explaining yourself to me.
The game is broken. Its not my subjective opinion. There is video of it. If you are fine with that... for your 40 dollars then say no more. Its your time/money.
:shaq2:

I wasnt explaining myself. I was explaining to you why your opinion is irrelevant.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I ain't got time like I used to, but I've gotten through the opening portion and fought a couple of bosses, some initial thoughts...

. I really like the combat system and how it couples with the item acquisition. What techniques you use to kill a foe impacts what they drop and you will use the items they drop to create new techniques for use in battle. This could be annoying to some people, especially those who don't have patience for repeating fights, but I've always done the grind thing heavy. So the ability to experiment with different finishes and acquire new spells has given me reason to go back to areas I've beaten and mess around.

. So far, and remember I'm early in this game, it's pretty easy. There's a meaty combat system between techniques and timing your actions, but it seems like at least in this early portion I could have run through it with base attacks and a few potions used. I'm hoping the challenge ramps up to kind of force more creativity in combat, but again, as someone who experiments; I've found reasons to enjoy the diverse combat options outside of challenge level.

. The characters are cliche so far, with slight nuances. Maybe since I'd read that it was a FFX ripoff, I see the comparisons through confirmation bias, but it does feel pretty similar in character construction. There's a nice motif sliding through the whole plot about whether it's worth sacrificing a human life for the greater good and whether or not we should question traditions...but it's definitely nothing new. Still, the story hasn't turned me off of playing and advancing, it's just not the main push for me. They do play differently though, as in you may want to mix up your party for combat reasons but in plot terms...generic so far.

. One thing I like that is minor for most, the village NPC's are actually pretty cool to talk to. Their dialogue chains change and evolve after every single event and lead to some humor and some cool small developments. You'll know the sacrifice's character before you even meet her just by wandering her village for discussions with the NPC's. That sort of stuff is cool to me.

. So far it is definitely linear, but I don't think that's a major pain point in an RPG like this. The combat has so many options that you'll find excuses to revisit places and fight on the basis that you'll potentially unlock some new techs to load onto your squad. I am hoping that there will be sidequests available as I get deeper into the game, but I'm probably not even 2 hours in.

. Equipment is a little bit confusing. They have slots with special designation for which techniques you can apply to each piece of equipment, but sometimes a tech will only work for certain characters. So it can get a bit confusing picking equipment for characters and their bonuses also aren't described with much detail.

. To that end, there's a weapon crafting system where you can upgrade equipment with material you buy or find. But so far I've gotten one upgrade material and every map I've gone to has had substantially better weaponry. Which means using the material on a weapon would be kind of a waste since I'll be dumping that weapon for an upgraded version so soon. Right now I'm just gonna end up hording material unless I hit a boss I struggle with. Again, though, it's early in the game so this could easily be resolved as I get further.

Short version: The combat system is fire imo, there are a lot of strategies you can choose and styles to try out that will all be effective. The plot is familiar; not bad but nothing special. The equipment is a bit confusing and could use with better explanations. If you love old school RPG's, this definitely has that feel and is worth a run.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
I've played the game for 10+ hours and can tell you that I haven't ran into any glitches. That is not saying that there will not be any when anyone else is playing. However in my case, all has gone well. The game is about 20 hours long, which in this day and age, is better than most triple A titles that boast of several seasons and "massive content".

The Talisman/Spritmite system is very intuitive and brings back memories of old titles, like Chrono Trigger and Suikoden (Combo attacks). Positioning in combat is also vital...that is, the position a tech might leave you in. For example the main hero gains an ability to dash behind opponents and unleash an attack, however, this also leaves him on that part of the battlefield. This allowed me in one boss fight to have "Auron" tank with provoke, and both attack and heal the party while standing behind the boss. It added a new dimension to using certain abilities to better dictate the flow of combat.

The game is only faulted for not having sidequests to partake in, or any mini games whatsoever. In general the game feels like a beta test of what could be a series. From timed empowered (momentum) attacks, to making meals that boost your stats per battle, the game will keep you busy. I'm not going to focus on tired platitudes like; the game is linear or "it gets repetitive". Using those very tired accusations, even the classics are both linear and repetitive, so we'll refrain from using those phrases.

Ultimately the game suffers from being too focused on the story, while not linear, I would've prefered some more sidequests (not just collecting the ultimate weapons for everyone) and mini games.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
This game is on sale for Nintendo Switch (download only) for $27.
Been thinking about buying it despite the reviews mostly in the 7 out of 10 range

llt23

All Star
Daps
This game is on sale for Nintendo Switch (download only) for $27.
Been thinking about buying it despite the reviews mostly in the 7 out of 10 range

If u like classic RPG's its good. Its polished, good music, pretty good story in the sense that its not typical anime tropes and instead slightly more mature. I dont agree that they focus 'too much' on the story. I think they give you just enough to go on. If you played some of these other RPGS you know you just wanna skip fukking everything cause its just too much goddamn dialogue or text. This game has wway less text but way stronger writing.

BUt I will say I dropped it at the end game. Throughout the game theres chests u cannot open. Near end game you get the key to open them, and I wanna open them but I forgot where they are and didnt care enough to get a guide and find the chests.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
If u like classic RPG's its good. Its polished, good music, pretty good story in the sense that its not typical anime tropes and instead slightly more mature. I dont agree that they focus 'too much' on the story. I think they give you just enough to go on. If you played some of these other RPGS you know you just wanna skip fukking everything cause its just too much goddamn dialogue or text. This game has wway less text but way stronger writing.
BUt I will say I dropped it at the end game. Throughout the game theres chests u cannot open. Near end game you get the key to open them, and I wanna open them but I forgot where they are and didnt care enough to get a guide and find the chests.
Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and download it. Most reviews say the game is good. Not bad, and not amazing. Just a solid game with some old school foundations. I'm with that, especially at $27.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Side note To those that own this game on the Switch (or are considering it): From what I understand, the Switch version is the only version that received the multiplayer update. Apparently they added a vs mode that can be unlocked after you beat the game exclusive to the Switch.