I admit i have changed my opinions on Basquiat :

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
He didn't have AIDS. It was speculated that his skin issues came from the removal.of his appendix and heroin drug use. It was never confirmed he had AIDS. He did od via speed balling: Coke and Heroin.

Edit. He wasn't poor at all too. He had so much money he was giving it away to bums on the street.
It wasn’t confirmed. It was speculated. :yeshrug:

However, after going to an art exhibit recently and seeing what’s considered art, some like Basquiat from the same era in the south, it was just drug-berrish.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
I like some of his stuff, they are cool.

Picasso really drew like shyt. Toddler just picked up a crayon for the first time type shyt and he is so prolific bc of rich connects and whatnot

The art world is weird

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
I think it's dope.

People shyt on this man, but his art is selling for millions and he's still a conversation.

If you look at this and get angry...

Maybe it's revealing something that you lack.
Black people fell in love with Eurocentric art. It's still major in our community. In fact we historically never painted or created realism. That's European art standards. Africans created abstract art. The African mask, fertility figures..are all abstract art. It wasn't until the damn Greeks and Romans started creating art that they went to rhyperrealism. See Greek sculptures for evidence and compare to African figurines.

dionysos-plaster-bust-white-1.jpg

162807-1.jpg

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
It wasn’t confirmed. It was speculated. :yeshrug:

However, after going to an art exhibit recently and seeing what’s considered art, some like Basquiat from the same era in the south, it was just drug-berrish.
I can agree to that..."speculation". However your response was delivered as an absolute fact. No disrespect tho, I'm challenging your words in the realm of academia. So I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I do apologize if it comes off crass.. not my intentions at all.

And naw it's not drugs. People who usually dismiss Basquiat work always dismiss it due to his rampant drug use. But they mention white artists whi had drug issues...Pollock never made drunkard art...Picasso never made Absinthe art...it's just Basquiat who is the drugged out art.
It comes off racist truth be told or self loathing if it js from a black man. You are within your right to hate his work tho. That's your right being human.:salute:

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
I like some of his stuff, they are cool.

Picasso really drew like shyt. Toddler just picked up a crayon for the first time type shyt and he is so prolific bc of rich connects and whatnot

The art world is weird
No. He was the just first artist to paint like he did and Picasso was the 1st art world genius. He was creating profound pieces allegedly at age 8.

sciencde-and-charity-e1535002340741.jpg

This was done at age 8 by Picasso...who was a child of a failed artist. His father basically said Imma teach my son to create art and he will rule the world...and that proclamation came true.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
No. He was the just first artist to paint like he did and Picasso was the 1st art world genius. He was creating profound pieces allegedly at age 8.

This was done at age 8 by Picasso...who was a child of a failed artist. His father basically said Imma teach my son to create art and he will rule the world...and that proclamation came true.

Allegedly...... :mjpls: ........ lol. Nah I'll take your word I don't know much about art I only took it as an elective back in high school :dead:

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus

I don't believe this was done by an 8 year old.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
Allegedly...... :mjpls: ........ lol. Nah I'll take your word I don't know much about art I only took it as an elective back in high school :dead:
I say allegedly cause look at it lol. And whites lie a lot. And so far in history we have yet to see another child paint at that mastery.

I.e. we have atleast 3 children in academia history who are children in college. But we 0 children to paint at the skill level of Picasso. That's why I used allegedly....I didn't want to talk on an absolute that cannot be confirmed or denied.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
For those in the know

What do y'all think of Basquiat potnah pierre bernard francillon? He has a similar style from what I've seen and he's been mentioned by Mach-Hommy (props to @TheDarceKnight @Piff Perkins @IronFist for putting me on in the booth)
Neo Expressionism is the term. Between Abstract Expressionism and Pop Art movement.

Francisco work is dope.

The new art movement is called, "Post-Neo Expressionism"

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
y would an 8 year old paint something like this lol
His father was a failed artist who drew and painted pigeons. Picasso was taught by his father. This is why Black Fathers are needed.
Fatherhood does amazing things for children that motherhood cannot do. The yin-yang. You need both, but 1 is better than the other in certain aspects.

Picasso was also doing anatomy studies and mastered the most difficult medium of his time: Oils.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
His father was a failed artist who drew and painted pigeons. Picasso was taught by his father. This is why Black Fathers are needed.
Fatherhood does amazing things for children that motherhood cannot do. The yin-yang. You need both, but 1 is better than the other in certain aspects.

Picasso was also doing anatomy studies and mastered the most difficult medium of his time: Oils.

ah being coached didnt cross my mind. I was just imagining a kid drawing for fun.