I admit i have changed my opinions on Basquiat :

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
All high art is, it's some corny bullshyt with pretentious motherfukkers pretending there's some elusive meaning that some junkie conjured up that somehow evades everyone else.
This is funny.
I'm out of the loop and don't know who the person is in your avatar. But if he's a rapper, wouldn't the same thing apply to him. He appears to be using drugs in the picture.

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
I appreciate a black man getting his money as long as it ain't at the expense of the rest of us.
:salute:
So I salute breh. Hope he opened up the lane for other black artists to get critically acclaimed and get their money.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
before you add crab in the barrel mentality its not that, i once watched his film ages ago before the jay z dikk riding and aa attention. he got on because he was andy warhols bytch, he ran up on warhol at a restaurant showing him little drawing cards and warhol fell in love with him/them.

on top of that his work look so poorly executed and looked fake, scrappy drawings and words of gibberish. i thought is this the go to guy AA standard of art. well theres not a bigger artist his last piece just moved a few milllion. is he overly idolized, probably but his got some decent shyt.

slide_271436_1913998_free.jpg

Jean-Michel-Basquiat-Obnoxious-Liberals.-1982-865x577.jpg

7acb1936e01d49119c4a59764c2ee479.jpg

fallen_angel-orig.jpg

a945c04b15f5e8892ef87c1ae070bf44.jpg

i honestly thought white people where trolling with this shyt, compared to george condo and murakami and them.
Sh*t is gibberish. Overrated to the highest order. He was high out his mind. This is what deranged homeless people draw up.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I appreciate a black man getting his money as long as it ain't at the expense of the rest of us.
:salute:
So I salute breh. Hope he opened up the lane for other black artists to get critically acclaimed and get their money.
He died young and poor with AIDS. The value of his art increased once he died and they created a narrative and story to increase the value.

Update: He didn’t die broke. He just lived like a damn near homeless person.

It was speculated that he had AIDS. Not confirmed.

Last edited:

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Isn't this whole "Abstract art" thing just a front for money laundering anyways?

What's up with that? Takes all the love out the art for me.
Nope. A little art history. Jackson Pollock was the 1st artist to get big bucks for his art after his death. His wife who was an artist refused to to sell his art for less then 10 million when he died from a suicide via drunk driving. That is what caused fine art to be ridiculously priced. At the time of Pollock death, Picasso was still alive I believe. And from his death in the 70s he then reset the art market for dead artist's work. So when Basquiat died in 88 after Warhol...yep! You guessed correctly....reset the art market again. Basically as an artist you ain't worth nothing until you dead. I got art in a museum as we speak. NOMA permanent collection matter of fact, so when I am dead in the future, my art will double in value once it's sought after.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
I think it's dope.

People shyt on this man, but his art is selling for millions and he's still a conversation.

If you look at this and get angry...

Maybe it's revealing something that you lack.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
He died young and poor with AIDS. The value of his art increased once he died and they created a narrative and story to increase the value.
He didn't have AIDS. It was speculated that his skin issues came from the removal.of his appendix and heroin drug use. It was never confirmed he had AIDS. He did od via speed balling: Coke and Heroin.

Edit. He wasn't poor at all too. He had so much money he was giving it away to bums on the street.

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
All high art is, it's some corny bullshyt with pretentious motherfukkers pretending there's some elusive meaning that some junkie conjured up that somehow evades everyone else.
In his work there was nothing elusive. That's what white folks did. They were amazed at classical art done by a 19 yr old who never went to college and was a high school drop out. He could talk about art on the level a Curator at the Musee Louvre could. Basquiat also spoke 4 languages and was the 1st artist to introduce spray paint as a fine art medium.