How yall black dudes survive at these mostly white colleges?

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
The first semester can really suck breh

My first semester at Texas sucked. Cacs everywhere...never been around so many white people in my life and I didn't share a lot of their interest in a lot of things. It took some time to make the transition of being the only black male in most of my classes. My second semester got better though and it was cool for the most part.
na the school i go to is not that big, but im always for the most part the only black dude, they might have a few black chicks, lol i always sit up front and ask a bunch of questions :lolbron: in the back of my head i know them cacs be like :ohhh: looka this hood nikka, he fresh and smart as fukk, but i dont think it will be as bad tho cause i work full time and go to school full time, so i dont really have to much time to that extra shyt right now anyway

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I've routinely been the only black guy in my classes since I was a junior in HS. That has continued throughout college. :beli: You get used to it. Branch out and make an attempt to meet people. You'll also run into few other guys that are in the same situation you're in. It's what you make out of it.

i was the only black guy in elementary, middle school, and highschool. In college a few here and there, and now at my workplace im one of like 8 out of 950 folks.

Esp in college i just went to class, surfed on my laptop, listened to music on my long breaks and read a book, only time i talked to folks is when we had do group work, minus that

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I went to an all black high school and went to a 99 percent white college and did just fine I met people from all different backgrounds and I mostly hung out with white people but my roommate was black in the other one was Puerto Rican so I was good and we were all dIverse we had a blast

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
I went to a PWI and an HBCU (school I'm at right now). I'd say I prefer the atmosphere of the HBCU becasue you have you have a bunch of people not only look like you but have the same goals. IAlso the bytches :whew: :noah: god damn there are too man bad bytches here.

The people who work here can kiss my ass though:pacspit: Lazy MFers who dont want to do their job:smh:

I had fun in the PWI but I went to a small private school and I already knew people there thru some scholarship program I did.

The only advice I guess is atleast put yourself out there. Maybe try hooping at the basketball court. or something. White people are people too and not all of em are on that
damn bra i think i might just be missing that hbcu freshman rush :patrice: i was at southern and my god shyt was real, and them use to be on they fly shyt everyday, and i be on my fly daily, cacs been in there dressed down looking at me like :mjpls:

good looks tho bra

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
i was the only black guy in elementary, middle school, and highschool. In college a few here and there, and now at my workplace im one of like 8 out of 950 folks.

Esp in college i just went to class, surfed on my laptop, listened to music on my long breaks and read a book, only time i talked to folks is when we had do group work, minus that

I feel your pain. The bold worked for you because you're more of a introverted type of dude, though. If OP is extroverted, that's going to be torture. :heh: The tough part is making a conscious effort to socialize with people different, but it's life. I had no choice but to try and branch out when I realized I was never going to be surrounded with folks that looked like me. Forcing yourself to shoot the shyt with Chip and Hailey everyday will have you :why: though.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla

:lupe: Where did you grow up? Where do you live now?

LordFendiMane

Banned
Daps
better to start interacting with white people now before you get into the work world and feel even more confused:manny: they're human too...

:whoa:... I wouldn't call those serpent devils human but this is a good point. I went out of my way to be cool with the black people at school and caught myself hanging with some very lame dweeb muhfukkas or corn ball brothas that grew up around whites all of their lives and only hung out with me because whites didn't openly accept them at first. That lasted for a month and then I met 4 dudes who were similar to me and we all are still friends until this day. Guess where that got me though? No fukking where!

I still don't get white people until this day and I'm working on it. I think I narrowed it down to they just don't give a fukk about your history because they didn't personally do it and that's, that on that. Once you get over that part, you can tolerate them just as they do you.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
im open my last girlfriend was a non hood chick chick, she was no white wash chick tho, she was a cool middle class chick from atl, and she introduced me to alot of things i never did before

Hmmm...seems like you're just going through a bit of culture shock...maybe a bit of imposter syndrome....I'd just keep doing what I'm doing. If you're outgoing you'll find a clique, don't worry about that.

I was well acquainted with whites when I went to college (The good and bad)...but I was a suburban boy...and I went to college in a city and shyt just felt crazy at first. No homo/softness but..if y'all would allow me to be vulnerable for a moment...I still remember that feeling when my parents dropped me off and left me in the dorm for the first time. It sounds fakkity, but man, that shyt had me feeling some kind of way...questioning what the fukk I got myself into. I didn't even wanna go to the cafeteria to eat.

Once you settle into a routine you'll feel better.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of months, you're feeling like maybe you've gotten too close to some of these people, and wishing that you didn't have so much social responsibilities to keep up with....:obama:

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
fukk a degree..you don't need a degree to land a career..I like history..so say I apply for a museum curator...I'm not gonna send a resume..I'm just gonna walk in there and spit my knowledge..they'll be like..oh shyt..he knows more than that guy with a degree and he's self taught,,meaning he's willing to learn for himself in the workplace..a degree is just a piece of paper..a real degree is a piece of ya mind..

actually no they wont. Do you know how hard it is to get a job at a museum?

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Hmmm...seems like you're just going through a bit of culture shock...maybe a bit of imposter syndrome....I'd just keep doing what I'm doing. If you're outgoing you'll find a clique, don't worry about that.

I was well acquainted with whites when I went to college (The good and bad)...but I was a suburban boy...and I went to college in a city and shyt just felt crazy at first. No homo/softness but..if y'all would allow me to be vulnerable for a moment...I still remember that feeling when my parents dropped me off and left me in the dorm for the first time. It sounds fakkity, but man, that shyt had me feeling some kind of way...questioning what the fukk I got myself into. I didn't even wanna go to the cafeteria to eat.

Once you settle into a routine you'll feel better.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of months, you're feeling like maybe you've gotten too close to some of these people, and wishing that you didn't have so much social responsibilities to keep up with....
:obama: good look bra, yall nikkaz helped me out alot

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I went thru a similar situation with going to an all black high and then transitioning to a mostly white school.
But it wasn't nearly as bad I went to Louisiana Tech and all my nikkas went to grambling state which was like 5 miles down the road. All I can say is be yourself and keep winning.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok i just transferred from a hbcu and im at most white college right now, and the atmosphere is just trash, i like the classes tho, and im learning alot, and im having no problems in that area, but its like i feel mad out of place daily walking around that school, its not like they give off a racist vibe or nothin like that, it just like i dont fit in at all, im not really attracted to none of the chicks, dont get me wrong they have alot of pretty blacks chicks that go there, but its like they white washed and they personality turns me off on a major level

i had this one black chick tell me she had to transfer from one other college(one that im probably gon transfer to after this year) cause they had to many black people there, only dudes im cool wit is the nikkaz on the bball team, cause most of them not lame ass nikkaz, they just there on scholarship

now dont get me wrong i got at a couple bytches and just cause they white wash dont mean i wont fukk em, but i just cant fukk wit them on no other level

all in all it different, i felt i wanted a lil change, but idk brahs this shyt wack, i need to be around more black people

bruh...i graduated from a HBCU...and while i loved it there...its not an accurate representation of the world youre gonna live in...i went to Grambling and i didnt have a car so i literally went months without seeing a white person that wasnt on tv...lol

its cool being around people that look like you and share interests...the reality is you'll be better prepared for the 'real world' and dealing/relating with other races where you are now...

get used to it...becuz you'll never be around black people like that again outside of the HBCU atmosphere

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Ok i just transferred from a hbcu and im at most white college right now, and the atmosphere is just trash, i like the classes tho, and im learning alot, and im having no problems in that area, but its like i feel mad out of place daily walking around that school, its not like they give off a racist vibe or nothin like that, it just like i dont fit in at all, im not really attracted to none of the chicks, dont get me wrong they have alot of pretty blacks chicks that go there, but its like they white washed and they personality turns me off on a major level

i had this one black chick tell me she had to transfer from one other college(one that im probably gon transfer to after this year) cause they had to many black people there, only dudes im cool wit is the nikkaz on the bball team, cause most of them not lame ass nikkaz, they just there on scholarship

now dont get me wrong i got at a couple bytches and just cause they white wash dont mean i wont fukk em, but i just cant fukk wit them on no other level

all in all it different, i felt i wanted a lil change, but idk brahs this shyt wack, i need to be around more black people
Breh if you dont know how / dont want to know how to act around white folks, stick to selling rocks/rappin/black dominated sports.

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
bruh...i graduated from a HBCU...and while i loved it there...its not an accurate representation of the world youre gonna live in...i went to Grambling and i didnt have a car so i literally went months without seeing a white person that wasnt on tv...lol

its cool being around people that look like you and share interests...the reality is you'll be better prepared for the 'real world' and dealing/relating with other races where you are now...

get used to it...becuz you'll never be around black people like that again outside of the HBCU atmosphere

Damn I know that struggle was real....you literally gotta go to ruston for everything :to: